Sponsored by:

Sound I'm heariing from the dash area

Old 02-04-2003, 04:18 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Sound I'm heariing from the dash area

Hello,

Everytime I shut off the car I hear what sounds like a fan buzzing in the A/C control area. It stays on several minutes after the car is off. Does anyone know what this is? What is it for?

Thanks
GP
Old 02-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear GP,
You have heating selected correct. The sound is the temp sensor fan. It runs for up to 20 minutes after the ignition is turned off. The HVAC remains active for 20 minutes after ignition is turned off for engine overheat protection. Nothing to be worried about. Normally will not be heard if aircon is selected and the temp control **** is in the blue dot position.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 02-04-2003, 05:13 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Adrian
Old 02-04-2003, 05:16 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, but it should only come on if the engine is particularly hot - if the fan stays on after a 5 minute drive, the temp sensor in the duct inside the engine bay is probably no good.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:23 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you mistook the reply - the little fan in the sensor area of the HVAC control unit will run-on whether the engine is hot or not, but the cooling fan at the engine will only trigger (during the 20 min 'active after shutdown' period) if the engine is very hot.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to resurrect on old thread!

Everytime I shut off the car I hear what sounds like a fan buzzing in the A/C control area. It stays on several minutes after the car is off. Does anyone know what this is? What is it for?
I'm hearing a similar noise coming from the CCU, even after I pull they key out of the ignition. However, this is only when the a/c button is engaged. If I disengage the a/c button, the noise stops. I just had my evaporator replaced and my a/c is working for the first time since I bought the car so I'm not sure if this is normal or not?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nevermind, the fan does turn itself off within several minutes after the ignition is turned off. I did some more searching and it sounds like this is normal.

The fan is a bit loud so I'm going to tackle this procedure soon and see if it helps:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...y-ccu-fan.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound I'm heariing from the dash area