Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2,336.9 pound street legal 964 - AP Design

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rocker panel/shark fin gap is tight! I've got a good 1/4" gap there.

What shifter is that??

'93 rsa 3.8
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Anyone noticed the bolt-in cage that has been welded into the tub? Not sure I'd want to be sat in this behind carbon panels if you had a big off ....
I was wondering about that...since I was just looking at pictures of one of your current projects (9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon). There are some significant differences between the cages that I find interesting...I assume that there might be a couple different methods (as these guys seem to have a lot of racing experience also...?)

- I like how your cage attaches to the sil, seems like a stronger attachment point and opens up more space on the floorboards.
- I like how tight your cage is to both the A and B pillars. The AP car uses a rather large piece of metal to tie in the cage to the A pillars (Huge holes.....OOOOOOOOO). It looks very secure but it must restrict visibility a bit?
- I like the x design of the cage on the AP at the door/seat area...
- I like how the 9M cage extends to the engine compartment.
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice and clean, but I do think the GT3 seats look to big in a 964/993.

Thomas
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

At the end of the day, for some reason or another, AP have used a conventional bolt in cage and chosen to weld it to the structure of the car in a way that it was never intended to be, hence it can never have the strength or impact resistance of a proper weld-in cage. The 9m cage on the other hand is an adaption of the original 964/993 Matter design for the RS & Cup cars and is FIA approved for racing.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Anyone noticed the bolt-in cage that has been welded into the tub? Not sure I'd want to be sat in this behind carbon panels if you had a big off ....
Its funny, because Neil and I was talking about this lastnight. We asked why on earth they have bolted in on the rest and welded the cage from the front. Half hearted I say! Also, noticed most cages on the 964 is welded down to the kick plate-side sills rather than to the floor, surely not the strongest point?

Question, when the cage is sat on the rear inner arch and welded, would this need spreader plates?

But apart from that, its a nice looking car, with a fair bit of work gone into it, especially deleting the gutter rails.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

I'm still wondering about the weight...w/a full cage too.....that is quite light. I worked hard to get mine down and figure another 200-250lbs possible and that would put me in the 2500 lb range...so 23 and change is quite impressive....so I'd like to see it on the scales!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elbeee964
My point would be that that spark wire cover (across the fan, above) would be what I'd deem "a bridge too far" in weight-savings credulity.
Ricers may be lighter by dint of their CF quotient, but they're ricers nonetheless because it's there more for fashionable display of conspicuous consumption (over strength required).
Point taken. I'm sure the look had something to do with it, as it is right there front and center when you crack the decklid.

I think if they had used a carbon fiber fan shroud they could've saved some more weight. The factory piece is made of some pretty thick/heavy plastic.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nski
Its funny, because Neil and I was talking about this lastnight. We asked why on earth they have bolted in on the rest and welded the cage from the front. Half hearted I say! Also, noticed most cages on the 964 is welded down to the kick plate-side sills rather than to the floor, surely not the strongest point?

Question, when the cage is sat on the rear inner arch and welded, would this need spreader plates?

But apart from that, its a nice looking car, with a fair bit of work gone into it, especially deleting the gutter rails.
Bolt in cages which tie in to the rear arches have a second plate in the arch, thus clamping the foot to the inner arch panel over a large area. The original foot of this cage is welded to the arch which will be as strong as the original design, although the plate is not large enough for FIA standards.

You're right though, it's a nicely prepared car and it is likely that the cage was a legacy of a previous build which the owner did not want to replace.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Dennis.D
5th Gear

Hello.

A little story / history from the car.

One of my costumers bought the car in 2004. He bought the car to drive on the nürburgring „north loop“ on the weekend´s. The car was a red 1989 964 C4 with sunroof and a fresh stock rebuild engine from Colin 9M. Maybe you remember it was a LHD.

In the winter 2006 i have rebuild the car ready to race (DMSB conform) because he want to drive the car in the german RCN series (Rundstrecken Challange Nürburgring)

In the class H (series productions cars till 3600 ccm) were only bolted cages allowed. With a welded cage he would have to drive in the V5 class (race cars till 3600 ccm) against 996 Cup Cars ;-)

In the saison 2008 was a big accident in the RCN series with a car with bolted cage. All bolted cages must be welded to the next run with reinforced plates in and outside the car. But it was still banned to use a full welded cup cage like the old matter cages. Sad but true.

In end of the saison 2008 he sold it to me because he want a new racecar. It was a used BMW 320 WTTC. He found old 911 like the 964 would to difficult to drive
Thomas Nater (Ap Car Design) bought the car from me to make a top end rebuild race car projekt. He has made the complete bodywork, transmission and interior part. I have done the rest of little things like engine Install, and the dyno mapping.

I hope now it is clear why it is a bolt on welded cage.

Sorry for my bad english.

Dennis
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

What front lip is on this car?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do the lips on this car's wheels look so much more substantial than other cars running similar style 18x8 ET42 fronts and 18x10 ET47 rears?

I love the fitment and lips and want to achieve this when the time comes to upgrade my wheels, but I don't think I'll be in the market for magnesium BBS center lock wheels.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it!
Looks great.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

But is it really running GT3 6 pot front calipers?? If so, which mc does he use??

Quick Reply: 2,336.9 pound street legal 964 - AP Design