Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all of us tragics, this ad explains everything.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
I got hooked on sports cars when a neighbor took me for a ride in a Jaguar XK120 Roadster when I was 11!
PS - My first car was a 1959 Triumph TR3 when I was 18.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think another problem I had was due to my dad owning every single Road & Track issue starting in the early to mid 60s. When I was 13/14 I would lay in the garage just thumbing through every issue absorbing all of the information. In a way though it kind of screwed me up. When I was in high school all of my friends were wanting Mustangs and Camaros and here I was daydreaming about Lotus Europas and late 60s Alfa Romeo GTV's. When they talked about horsepower and quarter mile times I would bring up weight, twincam/flat 6 engines, and Weber/DellOrto sidedrafts. I always loved Porsche's but my passion for Alfa's was close behind. A friend's dad had a bright red GTV 1750 (an early stepnose model) and I lusted over that car. A friend of my father, Pasquale (now owns Ferrari of Seattle), gave me a ride in a early 70s Spider and that put a huge smile on my face. I wanted one so bad but knew that I couldn't afford the maintenance. Even today I still lust over a 60s vintage GT 1300/1600 or a stepnose 1750. Maybe later.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
rarebear
Racer

I am old.. I mean in November I hope to get 70.. I have a 964 C2 which I love, but lately my wife
developed a nasty Illness and she can't get into or out of the P..... I always wanted a 911 even when I drove my Alfa's (3 of em) but now I am in a predicament... what am I to do
Thinking of selling hurts me inside
Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=Regulatori;7936122]......A friend of my father, Pasquale (now owns Ferrari of Seattle), gave me a ride in a early 70s Spider and that put a huge smile on my face. I wanted one so bad.......... QUOTE]

I had a red 1971 1750 Spider when it was new...I loved the car.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Rarebear, don't sell whatever you do! By a cheap comfy car for general commute with the wife and keep the Porsche for you. At 70 you deserve something just for you and most importantly, the smile it gives you will keep you young forever.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Jon A.
Intermediate

I'm truly addicted after having a similar experience in the video. My uncle had bought a 930 brand new and was showing it off and offered to take me for a ride. As a child of 10, that car was so fast, that the G forces took my breath away and was only restored every time he clutched to shift. Since that time, I was determined to have one. Not being able to afford one out of school, I was able to manage a "poor man's 911" (i.e. Volkswagen Corrado). But the passion never died and it was a poor substitute. Porsche's old tagline rang true ("There is no substitute"). In my mid-20's, I was able to buy my 1st 911, an 86 Targa which made me feel "whole". But that just fueled the bug even more as I've gone on to own a Boxster, a 914, and 964.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't even pay attention to Porsches until the IROC series. Lots of them were in/around the neighborhood, though. Then the Turbo came out, and a Dr. up in the Oakland Hills bought one. Ice Green with an olive interior. But his wife was the one who drove it. Pathetically slow. Then they ran it out of oil, and it got parked for a decade. (I ended up quoting him on the repair circa 1990.) But the biggest influence for me was a high school teacher who had a '62 T5 Super 90 Roadster. That car had a presence. And he brought Panorama and The Nugget (Golden Gate newsletter) to class. So I saw the photos and results from all the track and autocross events. Had to get a 911 at that point, and three weeks out of high school I found a nice '68 911 that a guy who'd just graduated from Cal with an MBA and leaving for France was selling. $5K changed hands, and 30 years later it's been a wild ride with owing, driving, racing, shop owning, etc. etc.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
...I would often make any excuse to go into a Porsche dealership to check out what was on offer.......
I'm sure it's a familiar story for many.
I just stopped by the P-car dealer last week to look around...some things never change! I love how the sales guys come out to look at my 20 year old car.

I grew up in a small town abut 60 miles from a dealer, so it was a treat when my parents would take us to the "city" to go shopping. If we had time they would make a "special detour" so I could see what cars where on the lot. I have great parents!

It will be interesting to see if this affliction will be passed on to my kids? They've grown up with the car so they don't know any different...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
rarebear
Racer

Rarebear, don't sell whatever you do! By a cheap comfy car for general commute with the wife and keep the Porsche for you. At 70 you deserve something just for you and most importantly, the smile it gives you will keep you young forever.
unquote
thank you so much.... I am already looking around for a cc car..
the thought of missing the growl of my 911 is unbearable !!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rarebear
I am old.. I mean in November I hope to get 70.. I have a 964 C2 which I love, but lately my wife
developed a nasty Illness and she can't get into or out of the P..... I always wanted a 911 even when I drove my Alfa's (3 of em) but now I am in a predicament... what am I to do
Thinking of selling hurts me inside
Can you afford to keep it? If you can, park it in the drive and just wash it and look at it.
Could it be that it's really just a vehicle
Standing like a statue all this time
Could it be that it's really just a vehicle that she shines?
Just a Vehicle
David Wilcox
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Im looking forward to introducing my two year old to my 911 this southern hemisphere summer.
I have finished my race season, removed the fixed back RS seats and re-installed stock seats so I can pop the babyseat in the back. And so begins the addiction for another child....
Life's gone full circle.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

I'm hoping that my almost 4yo will grow up with the same love of the 964 as I have - when mine first arrived on the back of the truck from interstate his words were "its a porsche" - he was 2 1/2 at the time :-) He loves the car now and there are lots of debates about whose car is more fun - mine or my wifes Audi S3 - mine usually wins !
Its great hearing all these stories about kids who grow into men who still love their cars - I'm one of them too.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911URGE
My father came home in a 1968 912 and it was then I got my first ride in a Porsche. I was hooked from then on. We had the car serviced at Vasek Polak Porsche and walking around the race cars in the showroom just added to my Porsche fever. I did'nt get to drive the 912 much growing up but when I did it was a blast. That little 912 is still with us and I drove to a recent PCA show this last weekend.
Gosh, that's lovely....!

Quick Reply: For all of us tragics, this ad explains everything.....