Sponsored by:

964 Prices all over the map

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

You might try: https://tradein.autotrader.com/ATPag...rketPlace.aspx

It's a new program being rolled out - and not yet available in all metro areas.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch9000
You might try: https://tradein.autotrader.com/ATPag...rketPlace.aspx

It's a new program being rolled out - and not yet available in all metro areas.
Interesting! Thanks for the pointer. I just tried it, although it only allows cars back to 1992. After completing the forms, it said:

"Your Instant Trade-In Offer requires further evaluation. We'll send you an email
after we complete our review"

and I'm waiting for that.

OK their offer came in at 56% of the NADA Clean value, and 80% of the NADA Rough value! One would have to truly desperate to take their offer which is verging on derisory :-)

Last edited by jjbunn; 11-03-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjbunn
My car is up for sale in a couple of places, and the weird enquiries have begun. One guy asked if I'd trade it against 5 acres of land ... WTF?!

I got the same offer on my eBay listing. 5 Acres near Bakersfield adjacent to an acqueduct. Also an acre on a golf course in Arizona.

I have to say that after 2 unsuccessful 7-day auctions on eBay, with the high bid being $10,600.05, that I'm a bit discouraged. Based on everyone's comments in this thread, I'd expect to be in the lowest tier, cab, tip, leaks, over 100K miles and in November, but $10,600?!?!?

I've already started thinking of the mods for the winter and forgetting the 996 I test drove last month.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid
I got the same offer on my eBay listing. 5 Acres near Bakersfield adjacent to an acqueduct. Also an acre on a golf course in Arizona.

I have to say that after 2 unsuccessful 7-day auctions on eBay, with the high bid being $10,600.05, that I'm a bit discouraged. Based on everyone's comments in this thread, I'd expect to be in the lowest tier, cab, tip, leaks, over 100K miles and in November, but $10,600?!?!?

I've already started thinking of the mods for the winter and forgetting the 996 I test drove last month.
I'm with you ... my auction finished today with a single bid of $13,900, well below the reserve, needless to say. So I just re-listed with a lower starting price and reserve. It is discouraging, but it sounds like you aren't in a hurry (neither am I), so no disaster

I went along to CarMax, for a sanity check, and they offered me about $5,000 ... aren't the engines in these cars worth more than that?!

That acre of golf course doesn't look so bad!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
user 783003
Banned

I was one of the watchers on your listing. I figure at least half of my watchers were Rennlisters or Pelican guys keeping an eye on their cars' values.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

.................I went along to CarMax, for a sanity check, and they offered me about $5,000 ....
Did you see my earlier post here re: CarMax? I knew it would be a waste of time.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

I Googled "Carmax" and came up with "Carmax complaints". There's some entertaining reading on some of those hits.

The eBAy experiences don't surprise me a bit. It used to be a viable option, but it has deteriorated into a murky swamp. I've bought 4 cars through eBay between 2003 and 2009. The last one was a Subaru I bought for my daughter last year from a dealer. Things went okay. Of the other 3 eBay cars, two were great deals that worked out well, and one was a car that was basically misrepresented. Not a disaster, but one I wouldn't have bought if I had been standing in front of it. But I have a couple of friends who've bought through eBay over the past couple of years, who have gotten cars that were definitely "Not as advertised". I think it has become a dangerous place to buy or sell.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Did you see my earlier post here re: CarMax? I knew it would be a waste of time.
You were right! But I have had more positive experience with them in the past: I bought and sold four times in total for very fair prices, so felt it was worth a shot.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I Googled "Carmax" and came up with "Carmax complaints". There's some entertaining reading on some of those hits.

The eBAy experiences don't surprise me a bit. It used to be a viable option, but it has deteriorated into a murky swamp. I've bought 4 cars through eBay between 2003 and 2009. The last one was a Subaru I bought for my daughter last year from a dealer. Things went okay. Of the other 3 eBay cars, two were great deals that worked out well, and one was a car that was basically misrepresented. Not a disaster, but one I wouldn't have bought if I had been standing in front of it. But I have a couple of friends who've bought through eBay over the past couple of years, who have gotten cars that were definitely "Not as advertised". I think it has become a dangerous place to buy or sell.
Thanks Barry ...

I think the advantage Ebay has for the buyer is exposure. After the auction finished yesterday I have been contacted by three different people making me offers. Two of them are in Germany ...

I'd welcome input and advice from anyone who has sold a car to a buyer in Europe before: what are the pitfalls, and what is the best way of securing the funds before releasing the vehicle?!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid
I was one of the watchers on your listing. I figure at least half of my watchers were Rennlisters or Pelican guys keeping an eye on their cars' values.
And I was watching yours, too! I think I had 40 watchers by the end. Did you spot that guy who came in with a one day auction for his '91 964 at a buy it now of $24,911? No idea what he is smoking, but I wouldn't mind some of it.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

I'm thinking of selling my 964, simply because it sits in the garage most of the time: I just don't drive it very much, and spend most of my time tinkering with and driving my 914.

It's a '91 model with 91,000 miles, Tiptronic, Guards Red. Fully functional, nice paint, G-pipe, perf. chip etc. etc.. There are no flaws, but I wouldn't call it exceptional in any way. The trouble is, I have no idea where to sell it or what to ask for it. I've sold a couple of cars on Ebay before, but nothing as valuable as this 911 - will I get a bunch of timewasters or winning bidders who wont pay?

Is this a bad time to be selling? Would I be better waiting until Spring 2011? (I'm in no particular hurry.)

Thanks for any comments.
Julian- How long have you had your p-car for sale? It is a bad time to sell high priced toys unless it's unique/special. It took me about 5 months of Craigslist Ads and Autotrader to sell my 964 - 1990 manual, Guards Red, Cab. My car was very tight. I actually sold it at my asking price. I met the guy who was a private pilot at a small airport and he bought it on the spot. No bargaining; just a handshake and a trip to the bank for a cashiers check. The cabs and targas were hard to sell. I kept seeing their ads along with mine being renewed. The tips were even harder and saw their prices go lower and lower. (I'm just being honest.) But all it takes is one right buyer for your p-car. I'd say give it more time until thru spring 2011 then decide how much you are willing to adjust the price. Maybe just keep the p-car and get rid of one of the other cars. That was my plan if I couldn't sell my 964. Hang in there.

BTW, you will get a lot of 3rd party solicitors, phone calls and email scammers even if you include restrictions it in your Ads.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices all over the map