Sponsored by:

Door lock help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock help please

I have been having trouble with my driver door lock for a long time. Upon exiting, I've had to walk around the car and lock the car fron the passenger side, since the driver lock would not open/lock the doors or set/defeat the security system. Re-entry was similar, unlock from passenger side and walk around to driver side to get in. The passenger side works fine. I was forced to address the problem this weekend, as the driver side lock cyinder fell out in my hand and the lever in the handle was jammed. I couldn't open the door from the outside.

I removed the handle and found the screw and "bracket" that attaches to the back of the lock cylinder, which had fallen down into, and jammed the mechanism. I hoped reattaching it would resolve everything, so....

I cleaned the cylinder completely. I even stretched the springs holding the tumblers to give it some added life. I reattached the bracket to the cylinder and reinstalled the handle. Failure! The door handle lever unlatches the door smoothly, but still no automatic locking/unlocking or security on/off from the driver door lock.

First question:

(see photo of back of lock cylinder, bracket reinstalled, taken from inside door)

Do I have the bracket installed correctly? Is something missing? (I guess I could open up the passenger door panel to see what it's supposed to look like, but it sure is a lot easier to just ask.) It seems like the long pin on the bracket that points toward the interior should operate the other bracket (that looks like a single, flat-eared rabbit) in both directions to lock and unlock the mechanism. There's still no mechanical locking/unlocking from the cylinder.

Second Question:

I checked the connection of the wires to the microswitch in the bottom of the door, and when I pushed the connector together, the passenger door locked, then unlocked (I presume because I had the driver door open.) I cleaned the connector and reaconnected it and I think I basically got a closed circuit in the microswitch. Alarm would come on everytime I opened something, even the passenger door. I could turn the alarm off by operating the lock in the passenger door, and then open the passenger door, but if I turned the alarm off then went to the driver door first, I would get an alarm.

Temporary solution was to disconnect the microswitch, and once again, everything works as it did before. I cannot activate the locks/security from the key in the driver door.

Any help with either or both of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions? Anyone?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doh! Forgot the pic........
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a very similar problem. The left door (driver for you, passenger for me on my RHD car) would not unlock via the central locking. However, the difference to your problem is that it would lock down once it had been opened (by rotating the door ****). I stripped both doors down, checked, cleaned and lubed everything but no joy. I finally solved it by changing the central locking module (I got a used one off ebay that came off a 944).

Quick Reply: Door lock help please