Thoughts on tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the late response. I do have a e46 Steptronic and we have SMG and DCT cars. So I'm aware of the difference between the 'clutchless' manual vs 'slusho'matics. However, I'm still really interested in a 964 as a possible weekend track & autoX car (with some daily use). Given my physical limitation I'm really wondering if the tiptronic can be made to work well? The factory Cup car sounds really intriguing in this regard.

I found a tiptronic car within a days drive which is some need of work. It's a '91, no sunroof, 90K miles. I'm thinking this might be a good base car to prep while taking care of the issues. It's too far away to demo so I have a few more questions.

Are there any differences between the Tip of a '92+? Is there any shifting lag especially when downshifting? At what point does the torque conv. lock? Is it possible to reprogram the manual function such that it holds each gear without the auto shift?

Thanks for all the help and comments!
I have my Tip set up for DE's. I am a little slower than equivalent 964 manuals on the track, but it is a blast. That being said, I'm going to attempt the tip-manual conversion over the winter.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
I have my Tip set up for DE's. I am a little slower than equivalent 964 manuals on the track, but it is a blast. That being said, I'm going to attempt the tip-manual conversion over the winter.
Right on! As long as it's not a dog I'd be happy. Thanks

Quick Reply: Thoughts on tiptronic?