Sponsored by:

Thoughts on tiptronic?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thoughts on tiptronic?

Hello all,

I've been debating whether I should go with tip over manual. Not having the chance to try either, along with having a progressive degenerative ailment it's a tough call, otherwise it's a no-brainer. I've always loved the 964 and I'd like to do a raw lightweight/RS inspired 'tune'. How might a tip fare with a direction like this and has anyone done this? In overall feel, how does the 964 tip compare with a BMW e46 step? Is any year better than the other? Any mods available: software (to remove auto shiftup in man mode), LSD, final drive? Sorry for the amount of questions. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I bought the Tip 10 years ago. It is a 4 speed, as opposed to the 5 speed manual so you lose some of the gearing benefits.

I never minded the Tip on the street, it works great, and really on the street I can get myself into trouble just as fast. The manual mode is fun, and if you are in traffic, you don't have to deal with that clutching for an hour.

On the flip side, I now track the car with the Tip. First gear is too short, and the second is too long so I lose a lot in the slower corners. I'm getting ready to convert it to a manual. One because I've got so much "invested" already, and second because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 AM
NCSUtrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too considered a tip before buying my '91 manual C4. I just couldn't wrestle myself into believing that the feel of a clutch and manual transmission weren't just as much a part of the 911/964 experience as the roar of the air-cooled engine. I'm glad I went manual, I can't imagine it any other way.

But, given your medical situation, pick the option that's going to allow you to enjoy your car the most and for the longest amount of time. We only get 1 lap on this track.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never drove an automatic that I liked in a sports cars, even the PDK in a friend´s Cayman S tends to shift in a different way that what I like....
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 964 tip and a cayman 6 spd. If I can time traffic correctly, the Cayman is a blast. However stop and go for 5 miles is a lot easier in the tip. My tip is the daily driver to commute in.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
campoj2
Racer

I owned a Tip prior to the 964 I own now, the lady that I bought this car from was involved in a motorcycle accident and broke her shifting leg in 3 places so she was selling this car and buying a tip.

I liked the tip (at times) when you're stuck in heavy traffic, and the convenience of letting the wife drive the car and not having to worry about her 5 speed driving abilities. The Tip may save you money in the long run, no clutch and associated components to replace. I believe it may be an "iron box" design, I haven't heard about too many catastrophic failures of that transmission. The other thing that was nice was foot to the floor no-brainer option, just put that foot to the floor and go, and see how long he can keep there before you get scared.

The medical issue is key, don't buy something you can't drive.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

I currently have a 91' 964 Tiptronic and love it. I have nerve damage in my legs and the lower area of my pelvis (were our junk hangs out), I thought I would have to give up on having another 911. I found this one bought it and use it as my daily driver. I love the tip tranny.
Prior I had a 77 '91 911s Targa in Montana. I loved it but had to get rid it and wasn't sure how the tip tranny would compare. I am glad I got the 964 now and have fun even in city traffic or stop and go on the freeway. -D²
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like my TIP in town traffic. If I want to shift I put the shifter to the side and go thru the gears or take the 996TT out for a spin. On the road there is no difference except if you want to pass just mash your right foot down and it will select the right gear and downshift for you. No over reves for missing a gear or shifting to the wrong one.
I would imagine the majority of the people that hate on the TIP have never even driven one.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to opt for an auto it would be anything with a pdk and not a tip. I know that means water rather than air but it is that much better IMHO. And yes I would prefer a Boxster S, Cayman S or 997 S pdk to a 964 tip.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I essentially destroyed both ankles and one knee in a plane crash, and even after many, many months of therapy was dismayed to learn it was quite difficult/uncomfortable for me to drive a manual. About 5 years ago I "gave up" and bought a Tip. Having always driven manual cars, I was a bit apprehensive about purchasing one but quickly came to enjoy driving it.

Yes, I'd probably prefer a manual, but the point is I feel comfortable routinely driving the tip, whereas I didn't with the manual (and thus the Tip gets driven!). I do almost always drive the Tip in "manual mode"...it just feels more natural for me to actually decide my shift points (even subconciously).

I also drive a 2010 VW GTI with DSG (PDK), and, noises and smells aside (964 wins hands down), I prefer driving the Tip in manual mode as opposed to the DSG in manual mode.

The only Tip changes I am aware of is a software upgrade in 92 to allow the car to start in first gear when in "D", and a slight change in final drive ratio in 93 I believe. Those changes are detailed in Adrian Streather's 964 book.

The factory did produce a Tiptronic 964 race car...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwrm4
The factory did produce a Tiptronic 964 race car...
There is also one that some one here on the forum put the fifth gear in and races it. It is quite something to see. I will see about the thread and post.

Here is the Link for the thread showing what was done to "Humpty" with a Tiptronic tranny. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ed-thread.html -D²
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
I bought the Tip 10 years ago. It is a 4 speed, as opposed to the 5 speed manual so you lose some of the gearing benefits.

I never minded the Tip on the street, it works great, and really on the street I can get myself into trouble just as fast. The manual mode is fun, and if you are in traffic, you don't have to deal with that clutching for an hour.

On the flip side, I now track the car with the Tip. First gear is too short, and the second is too long so I lose a lot in the slower corners. I'm getting ready to convert it to a manual. One because I've got so much "invested" already, and second because I'm a glutton for punishment.
I've also tracked (DE) mine for the last 8 seasons, and I find that I don't give up enough to be concerned. In fact, last summer at the Glen, I ran a whole session nose to tail with a 964RS (keeping in mind that in DE, the drivers' abilities are equal). I also pass my fair share of 993's. The TIP has an adaptive program which will alter the shift points in 5 separate modes. After 1 to 2 laps, it is in the most agressive mode. As for "auto upshift in manual mode", I have had it bounce off of the rev limiter a few times before upshifting, and I don't have to worry about missing a downshift and grenading the motor. I also learned how to feather the gas to have it downshift in a turn, so I'm ready to go at the apex, all while keeping 2 hands on the wheel.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
wilko
Instructor

Cool

thoughts on tiptronic?would,nt purchase any porsche unless it was auto
majority of the time its such a more pleasurable driving experience ,i certainly don,t feel i,m missing out on anything , when the pedal gets pushed its responsive & once the revs reach 3k i doubt there,s much difference in performance to 99% of drivers
unless on a track is manual really necessary at all ?
after all ,the flat 6 overture is still there
Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

wow so many tip guys here and yet the tips take longer to sell etc and i see so many comments oh tips are not worth as much etc and tougher to sell.

I don't know unless I had a handicap that caused me to require a tip I understand, but a sports car with an auto just seems weak. I agree though as a daily driver the clutches are heavy, but at least we can go from 20-60mph in the same gear
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
wow so many tip guys here and yet the tips take longer to sell etc and i see so many comments oh tips are not worth as much etc and tougher to sell.

I don't know unless I had a handicap that caused me to require a tip I understand, but a sports car with an auto just seems weak. I agree though as a daily driver the clutches are heavy, but at least we can go from 20-60mph in the same gear out
you may buy for less and may sell for less but you can come out ahead especially if you replace one clutch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on tiptronic?