Sponsored by:

Times your heart sanked but it was nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Times your heart sanked but it was nothing

After driving a few weeks when I first bought the car I noticed there sounded like a loose bearing of some sort where the drive shaft was located, I cringed in fear of how much it would cost, but I recently discovered the previous owner left like 15 quarters in the ashtray which i didn't even know existed until one day I accidentally opened it.

How about you guys?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once pulled over at a rest area in central Pa on the way to Hershey for the swap meet. It was dark, raining, and late. As I pulled out of my parking spot, I heard a loud thumping from the rear as the tire rotated, thinking it was a flat or worse, I found a flashlight and got out to explore. Turned out to be a Twizzler stuck to the tire smacking the inner fender!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave White
I once pulled over at a rest area in central Pa on the way to Hershey for the swap meet. It was dark, raining, and late. As I pulled out of my parking spot, I heard a loud thumping from the rear as the tire rotated, thinking it was a flat or worse, I found a flashlight and got out to explore. Turned out to be a Twizzler stuck to the tire smacking the inner fender!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM
gchristofi
Racer

When I first picked up my car from dealer many many moons ago I had very little mechanical knowledge and none at all regarding the workings of a 964.

A few miles into the drive through congested London roads, my right leg started getting very, very hot. By the end of my journey, I was in a fair amount of disconfort and needed all windows and sunroof (once I found the switch) open to just bear being in the car. On reaching home, it became apparent that the drivers footwell was awash with uncontrollable heat!!

Well into the evening by the time I arrived and with visions of pending doom and melting wiring looms or overheating engines I panicked and called a mechanic friend from his home.

After a little investigation by someone who knows their cars, I learned a little about the air cooled heating system and how your leg gets burned if your £10 heat duct tubing has a big hole in it!!! It was a BIG RELIEF

That was an unforgettable and hairy 1st hour with my 964 and I remain in awe of it to this day.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

The first time I drove my car, I got about an hour into a blast in the hills and the HUGE exclamation warning light came on. In all other cars, a big red light like this usually meant something terminal had occured. No, my dearest 964 was just telling me it needed a little window washer fluid. What a Princess!
It's like, "I need washer fluid NOW dammit!"

And yes, I can relate to that burnt leg feeling.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

The first time I washed mine, after buying, I stood back to admire the frontal view of the car (from about 15ft away), my heart sank when I thought that a previous owner had bodged the fitting of the door mirrors and had put each one at a different height, and in the wrong horizontal location from the front door edge.
Don't worry, I now know the Porsche reasoning; performance always comes foremost.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

BIG 'clunks' under heavy braking...
(oh, crap)

Braking/accelerating caused some heavy round thing I'd left in the door's map pocket to bang into either end of the pocket.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I was on my first long trip and my dash lights all lit up (!), ABS, PDAS, etc. Worried that it was a major problem. I stopped at the next gas station. Turned out to be low on brake fluid. Bought some fluid and the lights went away. Whew!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

well it was right after I got the car. I was sitting there in the house and looked over and saw my wife grab the porsche key and my "heart sank" was she going to take the car. just thinking rash on my wheels, grinding gears, short shifting. THE HORROR going thru my head ,but then she put the keys back in teh drawer she was just cleaning up the house!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Dawes
The first time I washed mine, after buying, I stood back to admire the frontal view of the car (from about 15ft away), my heart sank when I thought that a previous owner had bodged the fitting of the door mirrors and had put each one at a different height, and in the wrong horizontal location from the front door edge.
Don't worry, I now know the Porsche reasoning; performance always comes foremost.
Exact same thing happened to me when I 1st bought my 964!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

The first time I bounced off of the rev limiter and the ignition retarded...
I was not watching the gauges and for a moment I didn't know what had just happened.
After I slowed up and realized what it must have been, I started laughing, somewhat nervously as you might expect.

Quick Reply: Times your heart sanked but it was nothing