Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Tiptronic Fluid Change Article?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
adidas
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 Tiptronic Fluid Change Article?

New to the site. Anyone here posted a thread on changing the ATF in a 964 tiptronic transmission? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (12-02-2023)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi there. I did a write up a little while ago. You can find it here.

Hope it helps.

Rich
nabfa1 (12-02-2023)
Old 01-20-2024, 12:29 PM
nabfa1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Location :)

May I just jump in and ask an add on question ….. For the teptronic just wanted to make sure that what i am looking at is actually the fill hole which is opposite side vs. the manual transmission

FYI : the car is very cold and has not been running for > 4 months hence I think the level is a little higher than average ?

Spoiler

Old 01-20-2024, 02:32 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The fill is next to the right of the sight glass - it's a quick disconnect fitting with a check valve. The level is normally above high level when cold. Oil change procedure requires that you start with the new oil level at 30deg. C level then start engine, run till 80deg C level topping off as required. Final level should be not more than 15mm above 80 MAX line or 3mm below 80 MAX line. Temp. is determined by Tester 9288. If just doing an oil change cold, pump in the same amount that you took out.

The drain plug might be tight - use a new allen wrench the proper size and some abrasive paste (lapping compound, even toothpaste) so that you don't round out the hex, but you bite into it. The plug has a magnet on it -check and clean it before putting it back.
nabfa1 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 06:20 PM
nabfa1
Advanced

Thank you !!!!

I think I am going to try the cold method - just have to find a way to get the measurements right perfectly….. I am going to let it drain for as long as it needs to get what I can out of it …..

If hypothetically this process is performed several times ( with the car on and going through the gears driving ) hypothetically one can truly replace all the fluids through repeated drain and fill even even the ones in the cooler and lines ????

Last question to reconfirm pls : in the diagram attached this bolt/nut has to be loosened and removed ….

thank you again for the diagrams and direction !!!

Old 01-21-2024, 12:18 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If the condition of the oil is clear, not burned or carbonized, and has no metal chips, I would say it's not necssary to change %100 of the oil.

Yes, that cap needs to be removed to get to the fill hose fitting.

nabfa1 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:07 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

You actually boot a bit of pressure to push to fluid into the transmission. I used a modified garden sprayer where I fashioned an adapter that went onto the quick fill connector and the poured the transmission fluid into the sprayer. Then pressurize the sprayer - you don't need much pressure - bleed some air out of your hose, and use the sprayer handle valve to dose the fluid into the transmission. Works perfectly with no mess.
nabfa1 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:47 PM
nabfa1
Advanced

Thank you to all truly !!!

Here is my plan of approach …. 1) Drain cold into a very exact catch bucket ( let’s see if this works )! and then with the help of a non existent helper ( push pressure ) or as you noted a garden sprayer ( which I have two clean ones ) replace pre measured fluid back ….. I will replace with Valvoline Dec/Merc III as I believe that’s what it has been filled previously with ( vs. swepco 201 ) …. Will update as soon as all parts arrive .

Approx 6$ —-> not bad price
Old 01-26-2024, 09:19 AM
nabfa1
Advanced

I had followed in the steps of greatness ! It was part i) worrying with loosening the fill / drain ii) part making things up iii) part it actually working ( have not turned the car on yet lol !!!!

Removed 4L - Replaced 4 L ( Cold ) ; I let it drain for a good 30 minutes ( not that it makes much of a difference ……?) & then used a garden pump under pressure to fill- up again …. Dex/Merc III . The old fluid did not look bad ( must confess ) but it was replaced more then 4 years ago ( < 20 000 miles ) - so I thought it would not be a bad idea.

Little magnetic thing was spotless …. I think that’s a good sign.

Here are some highlights of the adventure.

Last edited by nabfa1; 01-26-2024 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 964 Tiptronic Fluid Change Article?