Sponsored by:

Dual Outlet mufflers- types- pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
dtortoise9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Outlet mufflers- types- pros and cons

I am considering this and would like responses from owners who have done this to a street car. I would like recents experienses if possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I did this last year (but to a track car, not a street car).

I added a Fabspeed dual out system without heat or cats. I used the FVD left rear bumper panel.

Overall it worked well, sounds great and dropped a great deal of weight (> 50 lbs versus stock) but I have no data to prove any power increase.

Marc
Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

I've got the same setup with a cat bypass. Sounds great.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been running the Fabspeed dual outlet system for over 8 years and zero problems (well if you consider the occasional desire to polish the stainless a problem then so be it)

I just added the Fabspeed cat bypass and it definitely had a positive effect on the sound, it lowered audible level and exhaust note is deeper ...of course the "quieting " could just be an effect of a new piece replacing a 21 year old one but overall I am pleased with the system and as mentioned it saves a great amount of weight!

I cut the left bumper to fit the outlet , eventually will go with the FVD piece but am in no rush (it will wait untuil something else gets paintwork)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM
cuse92
Instructor

I have a Hayward and Scott (http://www.haywardandscott.com) full system - exhaust manifolds, decat pipe and dual outlet system. It is a very good system and except as noted in the next sentence greatly improves the sound (as well as adding a bit of horsepower). A nice deep rumble at idling speeds and a great sound at higher rpms. My only complaint is that between 2800 and 3200 rpm (so 5th gear at highway speeds) the dual outlets seem to create a loud drone/resonance that can get annoying on longer trips. Otherwise no complaints.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dtortoise9
I am considering this and would like responses from owners who have done this to a street car. I would like recents experienses if possible. Thanks in advance.
My personal experience with Fabspeed dual outlet exhaust system was not very positive. The fitment was very poor and when I did get it hooked up (sort of) there was a DRONE between 2800-3400 rpm so anoying, I had to remove it, and returned it for a refund.
You have to be careful when you go for an aftermarket exhaust, only a few are any good. An alternative is the 993 system that can somewhat be adapted to the 964, but it will take some work.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went single after listening to every sound file I could find on the web - I just liked the sound of the pulses coming out of the single outlet better than dual, but this is purely subjective of course.

Make sure and listen to both styles and go from there IMHO.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
My personal experience with Fabspeed dual outlet exhaust system was not very positive. The fitment was very poor and when I did get it hooked up (sort of) there was a DRONE between 2800-3400 rpm so anoying, I had to remove it, and returned it for a refund.
I, too, had a DRONE, but I added a baffle to one side for the street, then remove it for the track. The baffle was well worth it since I like the look of the dual exhaust.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm, never noticed it...maybe I am drone deaf
Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

this is the fabspeed system i am currently using on my 964 3.6 engined 911SC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3jicn9X-w

just a ****ty phone vid (sounds tinnier than it does in person) but it really does have a nice note. i myself have not yet done it but others with the same exhaust simply have a baffle in one of the outlets to block it off; apart from eliminating any drone it picks up some torque for those hillclimbs..
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shamus964
I went single after listening to every sound file I could find on the web - I just liked the sound of the pulses coming out of the single outlet better than dual, but this is purely subjective of course.

Make sure and listen to both styles and go from there IMHO.
+1. I was just at a Rennlist 964 meet here in (near) London over the weekend, and IMHO the single exhausts, in particular a couple of Rennlisters with the Cup pipes, sounded much better than mine... for a fraction of the cost It is a matter of preferences though so definitely research it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dansk Dual here, one issue I have is that it seems to be seup for a secondary silencer as the RHS outlet is free flowing then the LHS, otherwise a nice combination of rumble and rasp.

kevin
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cuse92
+1. I was just at a Rennlist 964 meet here in (near) London over the weekend, and IMHO the single exhausts, in particular a couple of Rennlisters with the Cup pipes, sounded much better than mine... for a fraction of the cost It is a matter of preferences though so definitely research it.
Can we please see some photos of your backdate

Quick Reply: Dual Outlet mufflers- types- pros and cons