Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ozmatt964
This thread is making me laugh, especially in reference to all the other great engineering marvels out there! Keep it coming.
haha if you want to know more about the jeep issues (including the fact that if there was less than a half tank of fuel in it, it would cut out in any right hand turn above 20km/h) it had multiple engine and cooling issues that i strongly suspect the stealership merely band aid fixed until it was out of warranty.. at which point they proclaimed that it needed 13k for an engine rebuild.
man, i tell you - spending 14k on a 911 is painful enough. similar amount on a ****ing chrysler? would rather eat my losses and roll it off a cliff, at least that way i get some satisfaction out of it.
you'll understand why i stuck to honda's for the subsequent 4 years...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I bought my 1991 Porsche C2 coupe for $13,500. If I had to do it over again I would have looked further and spent more. I ended up with a total of $20,000 invested.
fix oil leaks
valve adjust
new seals here and there
repaint
replaced bad tires
replaced worn rotors
plugs, wires, cap and rotor
I could go on and on but in the end I have no regrets and did not get on here and bash Porsche. If I had to do it over I would still buy a 964 coupe just not the one I ended up with. I should have done some research prior.
What I am about to say will never be proven because it is hindsight. You may have been able to fix the oil leaks without rebuilding as I did. I know the cams are pitted just as most of ours probaby are but probably would last through your ownership and more. If we could do it over again I would love to had a look of your Porsche on my lift. Thanks for listening
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just jumping to the end here, since I don't have too much time this AM. But this thread is beyond funny.

So I'll just throw my recent anecdotal evidence out there, and not even tap 30+ years involvement with 911s, several as a Porsche shop owner:

1. '93 RSA purchased with 130K miles in 2004 that had zero for receipts. (Was bought to replace the RSA race car I wrecked the previous year, so all I cared about was that it was a whole car.) Used another 10K miles until January of this year as a backup, backup, backup track car. Nearly all the miles accumulated were on track, pushing as hard as I care to push a car. A few oil changes, one servicing when I got the car, and some brake components were all the car needed. It was purchased by a guy who owned another RSA to use as a track car so he doesn't pile up the use on his low miler. So, other than tires, less than $1K in cost.

2. In 2004 I purchased a '97 C4S with 100K on it. Driven another 40K, including over 10K over this past winter as a ski car. It's also got 2-3K of hard track use when I've had to press it into duty. Total maintenance? Oil changes, I've serviced it once, and the a/c resistor failed.

So let's keep painting with this broad "Porsches are junk" brush. Everything from an early bent window 1.3L, through a 914 tail shifter, to a 924.............and not forgetting an '11 GT3 or something. All junk, unworthy of the raw materials used to assemble them. Uh huh.

(I'd like to know where all these "engine rebuilders" are located. You've got the guys who have figured a fix on the M96 engines out there, and you've got Motor Meister flapping in the breeze--if you even count them as a legitimate business. Other than that, everything to do with these cars is handled on an individual basis. And if anyone wants to talk BMW and their issues, a good friend runs Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas. Not to mention our 300+ strong local race/track guy email list that's heavily tilted BMW. I can get real answers to real problems with those cars almost instantly.)
Old 05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Hi all. I've looked for a way to change the title of the this thread and can't figure it out. My initial posting yesterday was pure VENTING. I was doing so in the wrong forum. I should have been venting via a letter to Porsche North America, not on a forum filled with enthusiasts who find great joy and passion in driving and owning these cars. The bottom line is...it is a 21 year old car. It was also a garage queen the last 10-years...Its not Porsche's fault or anybodies fault. I should have got a PPI. Boy, should I have got a PPI.

Now that I've cooled off, I don't think there should be a thread on this forum with the title, Porsches are junk, rather the threads title should read, GET A PPI before you buy! On that note, and out of respect for the fine people of this forum, I am going to delete this thread since I can't rename it. I will do so Thursday morning as I want all parties who endured my ranting an opportunity to receive my apology.

With sincere apologies,

Guy

PS, I'm going to keep my Porsche.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I can't seriously believe we have wasted 7 pages of posts on this!!! I'm on page 3 because that's the last update I read. Are we seriously spending that much effort on this?

Post ****** abound today
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
....I'm going to keep my Porsche.
Good news...it will get better from here on out!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You know I don't think you should delete this thread ( or that this thread should be deleted ) not now that you're beginning to see the light.

You've provided a classic scenario and ultimate lesson for any prospective buyer. This thread should be kept as a factual account warning others not to make the same mistakes... no?

This is lesson 101 to buying any car.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Dude , after thinking about your "problem" over night , I think I know exactly what you need .
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

The two piece case design sucks so bad that you should not rebuild it or sell off the parts of it , you should just get rid of it altogether by just boxing it up and sending it to me .
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
You know I don't think you should delete this thread ( or that this thread should be deleted ) not now that you're beginning to see the light.

You've provided a classic scenario and ultimate lesson for any prospective buyer. This thread should be kept as a factual account warning others not to make the same mistakes... no?

This is lesson 101 to buying any car.
+911
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Glad my wallet and I could help...
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
Now that I've cooled off, I don't think there should be a thread on this forum with the title, Porsches are junk, rather the threads title should read, GET A PPI before you buy! On that note, and out of respect for the fine people of this forum, I am going to delete this thread since I can't rename it. I will do so Thursday morning as I want all parties who endured my ranting an opportunity to receive my apology.

With sincere apologies,

Guy

PS, I'm going to keep my Porsche.
Welcome to the family
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
+964

For you, Guy:

Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
rarebear
Racer

Like Laurel said to Hardy: I fell down but I am better now.....
Guy started an argument that will last for a long time !!
O yeah, my C2 1989 (0ne of the first C2's, 260k on the clock, no leaks ) but with gas prices in Holland of around 8 bucks a gallon, a bit expensive hehe ....
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any chance we can get you to post a picture of these pitted cams? I've not seen a cam that wouldn't work since 1984. (Ya, I broke it into several pcs. in a 318/340 ) Almost all others can be sent to Web Cam in Riverside, CA and be reworked into wicked cams.

Any chance we can see the build sheet?

Did you get any of the parts back?

Sorry, I just can't fathom that any of what you are saying is true. It leaked, so what?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890

What some people seem to fail to realize is that exotic parts dont get *cheaper*.
yes, but porsches aren't exotics

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY