London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012

Hi All,

I forgot to mention this too much today (distracted by too much lovely Pork!!!) but just an initial post to gauge interest from everyone here on the subject line above

Initial thoughts:
- try and complete Nurburgring and Spa in 4 days in 2012
- Target the London 964 club initially but open it up to close friends and associates if they are keen to attend and we have open spaces.
- aim for a date in May/June 2012 - preferably a date that isnt right in the middle of a European summer as I would estimate that most of us dont have air cond
- look to leverage expertise of someone like nurburgringUK and have them sort all logistics for the weekend so we can focus on enjoying the cars / company and weekend.
- Note: NurburgringUK also provide discounts per car if we complete a group booking, they provide a support car and guarantee to get you home if an issue arises, you can pay a deposit upfront with them (10% of total) which minimises costs now etc etc
- Costs - reckon for about £350 plus costs for some food / petol / laps of the ring etc see website for more info http://www.nurburgringuk.com/tours.asp#
- Days required - most likely a 4 days jobbie....Friday to Monday so some time off work will be required (Friday and Monday)
Next Steps:
- Gauge interest and see if any material objections to approach and plan stated above (just a few ideas at present)
- Consolidate ideas and play them back to the forum towards end of August / early Sept
- Gather more info from nurburgringUK on packaged tours that meet our requirements
- All things going well look to lock in a date and preliminary numbers by Oct/Nov 2011. (I will confirm that this can be done by 10% holding deposits per person)
- Note: anyone who wants to go but doesnt want to take their car on the tracks....i would suggest its still worth the trip. the roads there are fantastic and the roads around the ring are awesome as well. I dont think you would suffer from any lack of enjoyment by either hiring a ring car / doing a few laps in the ring taxi or going out as a passenger with Frank!!

Overall the aim is just to have a great weekend and have fun and maybe tick a few items off that bucket list

Partners are most welcome as well.

Rgds
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
P964miller
Advanced

This is definately on my bucket list and am very keen. How much is a track day at Spa? Anybody know how many miles the round trip would be??

Tom
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They're both on my list of 'things to do' and it would certainly be more fun with a group of like-minded 964 nutters!

Cheers,

Mark. 90 C2
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price for Spa trackdays depend on who you go with and time of year. My target for next year is the first Bookatrack weekend which is usually at the end of March. It was £275 per day IIRC. Jamest and GTtwo (Lee) did it last year and had a great time. The weather has traditionally been good at that time of year.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Tom - not sure mate would have to investigate. I will add it to list of questions that need anwers.

Edit: Thank Boxsey for the heads up on that
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Hi All,

I forgot to mention this too much today (distracted by too much lovely Pork!!!) but just an initial post to gauge interest from everyone here on the subject line above

Overall the aim is just to have a great weekend and have fun and maybe tick a few items off that bucket list
Good man! I'm in without hesitation. Count me confirmed!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
It was £275 per day IIRC. Jamest and GTtwo (Lee) did it last year and had a great time. The weather has traditionally been good at that time of year.
Steve - Yes, Spa was great in March, weather was amazing. Great to hear you are planning to go next year, I am fairly sure I will be on that one too. A few of us are going with Goldtrack on 10th October if anyone fancies joining?

For those thinking of taking their own car on the Nurburgring, just make sure you are aware of (and comfortable with) the limitations of your UK insurance policy. Chances are, if you have a policy provided by a UK insurer, you will not have any cover at all at the ring, more info here: http://nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

If you want to drive the ring on a public day, I would recommend renting a properly prepared car, I have used Rent Racecar in the past who were great (no affiliation): http://rentracecar.de/index-gb.htm
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Hi James - thanks for the heads up and yes I was aware of the insurance issue (ie: assume no coverage) and the risks that this entails. So the heads up on alternatives is much appreciated.

Jonny @ Bookatrack mentioned the following re: Spa dates. Given the prep and organisation they provided at Donington it would be mad not to consider these date ranges.

"Nothing confirmed yet Andrew, but we’re hoping to get 24th & 25th March 2012, 30th and 31st July and 10th & 11th November. Unfortunately we won’t get firm dates until end of October at the earliest"
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM
jamest
Instructor

Bookatrack are fantastic, I was so impressed with how well they ran the Spa trackday in March.

The Mitsubishi Lancer Register normally do a trackday at Spa at the end of May, they accept bookings from other marques and are well run, I attended one a few years ago and it was excellent. It might be worth contacting them if you are hoping to be out there in early summer, I'm sure they would be receptive, especially for a group booking.

If you wanted to do a trackday rather than a public day at the ring, and therefore not have to worry about the third party insurance issue, the Circuit Days Nurburgring 700 looks fun: http://www.circuit-days.co.uk/nurbur...FcYe4Qodvi4IEA
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am up for this, maybe one of either spa or nurburgring rather than both just to keep it short and sweet.

I have stupid dietary requirements (coeliacs) which I can busk my way through for a couple of days on the road but after that I start to get pretty hungry.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Bugger this sounds great, but I'll be going on honeymoon around then...

Not sure the Mrs to be would go for a Spa / Nurburgring honeymoon. Saying that I could try selling it as 'a Spa' trip, although she may get annoyed, expecting to have a towel wrapped around her head and instead gets handed a crash helmet!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

alexjc4 - mate a hungry man is an angry man so we cant have that
PaulW_964 - haha......just tell her its a once in a lifetime event (as you plan a return annually )
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
I am up for this, maybe one of either spa or nurburgring rather than both just to keep it short and sweet.

I have stupid dietary requirements (coeliacs) which I can busk my way through for a couple of days on the road but after that I start to get pretty hungry.
Alex not only do we have 964s in common but my PhD thesis was about the role of gluten and gliadin in Coeliac disease!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Andrew - good to meet you yesterday! As we'd discussed I'm definitely interested in this as well. I do need to do some research on the insurance point, I was always under the impression that you could get trackday-type cover for both ring and spa (especially if you went under the auspices of a trackday company). I'd be too nervous to have much fun if I had no cover at all ...

Ben
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
PaulW_964 - haha......just tell her its a once in a lifetime event (as you plan a return annually )
Ha haha, that might just work!

Quick Reply: London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012