Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that bit where you said that the gear shift was fixed but it could always be made better......check your engine mounts because because they're another source of poor gearchanges if they're past their best.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Royal Purple

I changed mine to Royal Purple about 18 months ago and Icould tell an immediate difference. I am also a big fan.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. FWIW, searching on RL has been a lifesaver for my P-car education, so I am more than happy to add to the knowledge pool in my limited way.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You know that bit where you said that the gear shift was fixed but it could always be made better......check your engine mounts because because they're another source of poor gearchanges if they're past their best.
Engine mounts were replaced shortly after I got the car, hopefully it isn't anything to do with the front gearbox mounts, as they look like they need the box to be dropped to sort it.

After driving it last night (when I did the oil change to Royal Purple) it felt pretty good, so fingers crossed it's all good now
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing write up. Thanks for that. Your roll pin detailed write up will help me out lots.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Twood
Racer

Joining the thread to watch progress.
I have something similar pending but mine will be an engine out, top end rebuild and new clutch plus whatever is found as we go along.
The sad part for me is as bad a mechanic as I am with huge gaps of knowledge I trust myself more than any of the Porsche shops and/or Porsche so called mehanics in this area.
It is all worth it in the end? we hope.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Kuchar
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Great!! Thank You!!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
You're my hero.

Great write up and pics. I wish I had your skill/knowledge.
Originally Posted by falcor
+1. Bookmarked your thread for future reference and egoboost before tackling any jobs myself.
What they said. Nice job. Really nice 64 as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice job and great car. Will bookmark this thread.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome documentation. thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

The gearshift has been pretty good recently, but just the same, when I discovered that the linkage bushes weren't expensive, I figured I'd give those a go, just in case they were contributing to the problem.

So the first thing is to get the 911 into Wheelie Mode

Then underneath, you have to remove the metal undertray covering the bottom of the floorpan tunnel.

Remove the front undertray too, and the gearshift linkage is exposed.

Oh, and if you're wonderign why you haven't seen the brake master cylinder yet...it, and the booster are hidden under the car! It sits transversely, and a pushrod from the brake pedal must go through a 90 degree bellcrank to convert its motion sideways.

But first up, the whole linkage pivots on this long rod, which connects to the body via a balljoint, which has a bit of slop. This front ballcup is exposed to the elements and is the famous "angular cup" that can fail and leave you without gears.

So out it comes, and the ballcup prises off easily enough by hand (probably not a good sign!).

And there is a fair bit of grit and crud inside it.

Prise out the remains of the plastic cup inside the balljoint....

And pop in the new one. Interestingly, Porsche don't sell the plastic cup separately, and you have to buy the whole angular cup (US$90), but a few guys here worked out that the plastic cup is the same as a $9 replaceable part on the clutch lever of a 928.

Push in the new bush and prise the lip of the plastic cup under the edge of the balljoint.

Lube it up with plastic-friendly lithium grease and pop it back in with the vise.

And now it's ready to go back on the car.

From that balljoint, if you follow the rod back to the gearlever, you find this nifty rubber boot.

Peel it back to reveal the underside of the gearlever. You'll also notice another ballcup at the back end of the linkage rod, but since that lives a sheltered life inside the rubber boot, there was no slop in it and I didn't think it warranted replacing. You'll also notice that right at the top of the gearshift assembly, it slides back and forth on this big tube.

The tube itself locates to the body via these plastic bushes, which had a bit of slop in them.

It was easy enough to undo a spring clip by hand, and then the tube could be slid inside, freeing up the plastic bush for removal. If you're wondering why there is this oval bush to locate this simple tube, it's because the 911RS has a short shifter, and hence in an RS the oval bush is fitted upside down, so that the pivot point of the shifter can be raised to accomodate the special RS shift lever

Old vs new.

Pop in the new bush and slide the tube back into place and refit the spring clip around the tube. I replaced the bush on both sides of the tube and it tightened it up a lot.

Nothing else at the gearlever end looked like it needed doing, so I buttoned it back up and worked towards the back of the car. Just before the transmission, the linkage rod goes into this universal joint...

Which rather bizzarely has a rubber bush in it, and as you can see, there is a bit of fore and aft play. This isn't too bad though, the rubber bushes can ultimately crack and the pin in the middle then goes metal to metal against the uni joint casing. Interestingly, I believe this exact universal joint has been used by Porsche since the 356 days.

You can get those rubber bushes from Porsche to rebuild that uni joint, but the RS upgrade is a new linkage rod with a metal universal joint, but it's expensive at US$650. There are aftermarket ones which are much cheaper though: http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page604.htm

I'll have a think about it, but I get the feeling that little bit of slop in the uni joint isn't doing much harm....what I do think is more of a concern is the front mount for the transmission, and if you look closely, I think the rubber element has a split in it.

It doesn't look like the sort of thing that can be replaced unless the transmission comes out, though. One of the things I was planning to do in the next year or so, was to fit a LWF and new clutch and given the state of that front mount, I think I might have to bring that job forward, so that I can pull the trans, and sort the mount at the same time.

But...for what it's worth, the bushes that were replaced tonight seem to have made the gearshift tighter and smoother, so those were definitely worth doing, and means it's not something that I have to worry about for a while....
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

That DIY looks familiar! I also replaced my shifter sleeves a while back (cured my fallen shift lever problem).

I'm always interested in the little detail changes Porsche made throughout the 964 production cycle. This DIY is a great example (and another reason to be very specific about what you order to fix your car).

Note the differences to the transmission tunnel from a '90 to a '93.
The '90 shifter sleeve bushings are thin and round...the '93 shift sleeve part looks completely different (per the RS comment above). The shift sleeve material looks different also.

When I shopping for parts to fix my sleeve, I kept worrying about why my shift sleeve looks different from what I see on the diagram (#26)
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
DriveAfterDark
Intermediate

Great thread. Thanks! Subscribed.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I know I really should be fixing that sunroof....but I got a little package from a good mate the other day, he's a Porsche dealer and I scored some swag when he was clearing out his warehouse

It's a enamelled metal Porsche crest, somewhat supersized

Pride of place...

Garage 964 is now open for bizness
Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 AM
ozmatt964
Instructor

Great write up and nice looking C2. I think I will bring my C4 around for some attention now you now how to do everything. Matt
Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ozmatt964
Great write up and nice looking C2. I think I will bring my C4 around for some attention now you now how to do everything. Matt
My garage fridge can always do with more beverages

Quick Reply: Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)