Sponsored by:

Gearshift leather

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Gearshift leather

Mine is beginning to deteriorate at a little less than 75k miles. Are there diy replacements? Or are there any recommendations for a refurb shop? I know that the classic9 folks do amazing work, but I don't see any mention of shifters in their items. What does everyone do? This is for a tan / cashmere / whatever-it's-called interior.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that color deteriorates quicker than the others. I have the same color boot that is torn, still waiting on a replacement from AGLA.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some recent and historic negative feedback for AGLA, particularly with respect to the quality of their leatherwork for gear shifter and steering wheel replacements.

Search for "AGLA" on these forums.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
nvrlft
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proper color name is Cashmere Beige. Forget AGLA. You can buy an OEM replacement through a dealer such as Sunset.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Nick: is it the leather itself that is in really bad shape or just the color?

Mine was in bad shapen and I used a leather cleaning product, then leather soffener conditioner, wrapped it in plastic foil for 2 days, buff it up (repeat three times to do conditioner). Then cleaned again, degreased it, applied leather dye. Then again some conditioner after a few weeks.

DONE. It takes a while, but is very satisfying and keeps your car original.

Leather will almost last forever if cared for properly. So you either need more frequent care, or your products/process steps are no good.

I spend a lot of time on the interior and do leather cleaning / conditioning every 3 months. It takes me about 3 hours to do the full car.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrlft
Proper color name is Cashmere Beige. Forget AGLA. You can buy an OEM replacement through a dealer such as Sunset.
Great advice if you need to replace yours.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

I will give a review on my AGLA boot...if it ever shows up, it has been well over a month since I ordered it. I recovered my steering wheel in my 951(same as 964) with an AGLA kit and the quality is not what I would say is Porsche quality. What is the alternative for the shift boot and wheel recover other than AGLA?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...d%3D278-001%26
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
reed
Advanced

Originally Posted by chris951
I will give a review on my AGLA boot...if it ever shows up, it has been well over a month since I ordered it. I recovered my steering wheel in my 951(same as 964) with an AGLA kit and the quality is not what I would say is Porsche quality. What is the alternative for the shift boot and wheel recover other than AGLA?
You're serious? I thought you were joking at first. With all that has been documented on this forum about AGLA, I can't believe that anyone would give them business. A two second search would have saved you a lot of aggravation and money.

My recommendation: Tell AGLA to stuff your shift boot, call your credit card company and dispute any charges, then call your friendly Porsche dealer and order a new one. Best to chalk this one up to experience and just write the original one off at this point.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
nvrlft
Instructor

+1
Thats what I ended up doing.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi gang,
Mine is starting to tear near the shift pattern inset. It had started to wear through the beige color a bit, then the tear showed up very quickly.

I hadn't considered that it would be available through the dealer - and not exorbitantly expensive. I have one coming from der paterland through Sunset Porsche for $187+ship. I knew to avoid AGLA. Thought I would give Hennessy Porsche a try in Atlanta but I never got a reply for my parts request.

pn 964.424.075.02 -4YU for Cashmere Beige
only 4 left in Porsche's stock...

Now, any tips on how to r&r? Does the center console have to come out first?

Thanks
nick
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
reed
Advanced

No need to remove the center console, just pinch in a couple of clips at the base of the shifter. The hardest part is pulling hard enough to get the **** off of the rod. Here are some instructions for the 993. The process is the same in 964s.

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/SSK%20DIY.pdf
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, my shift boot never showed up from AGLA, it should have been here a long time ago, I'm trying to get a refund for the part that never showed up. I did call Sunset Porsche and ordered a brand new lever/boot. I wish I would have done a search for that before I got screwed by AGLA. He keeps feeding me crap about how busy he is and how my boot has been shipped for weeks. I can't wait for my new cashmere beige boot from Porsche!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Bugeye
Advanced

Not sure how bad yours is deteriorating. I'm attaching before and after pix of mine (sorry, not focused in on the shifter, but you can zoom in). Got it done by Rick Nelson at Unique Car Care in Wakefield MA (I see the OP is in Boston area also). Actually, more accurately, by Rick's "leather guy" while my car was getting a full detail. I never met the guy who did the leather work, but he did a great job on this in my opinion, restoring it to what looks like new to me. I think he fills in (?) the leather where need be and then matches color. Also did a nice job on that pesky driver side bolster on a sport seat!
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I will have a less than 1 year old Cashmere OE boot/ **** for sale in about a month. I replaced mine with a new one, but I'm in the process of changing out my interior for a Linen color interior. PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know when I list it.

Quick Reply: Gearshift leather