Sponsored by:

PS Autoart *BUILD PROGRESS - NEW PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Autoart *BUILD PROGRESS - FINAL PICS*

Rennlisters on a few other threads have asked for a write-up on my car, I am very proud of her so am happy to oblige!

I didn't have the car converted, it was done by the previous owner. To be honest I wouldn't have the heart to cut up a 964, but since someone else did it for me I am quite happy now! The ad from when I bought it is pretty descriptive as to what had been done to it:

"This example was built on a customer’s original car which he had owned virtually from new. We carried out a Retro conversion in 2005 including the following. The body was stripped of its existing panels and these replaced with our Retro items including an aluminium bonnet and a glass out respray. The window frames were removed and anodised items fitted along with a set of our Retro electric mirrors and a set of 17" PS alloys. Mechanically the car was left untouched except for our twin outlet exhaust system with cat bypass and 30mm lowering springs. The interior was stripped totally including sound proofing which was replaced by an all new lightweight interior. This included lightweight sound proofing, carpets and door cards, a set of our Retro competition seats trimmed in black nappa/corduroy, black nappa leather was used to trim the rest of the interior, and a 3 spoke PS steering wheel was fitted."

There was an article called "Retro Rocket" written about my car in Octane magazine a few years back (I think it is on the PS Autoart website) that goes into great detail about what was done to the car.

When I bought the car I had a few things done - new stereo headunit, sub and speakers installed (which I never use...), Hayward and Scott full exhaust system and remap, new Motolita steering wheel, HID lighting kit, replace PS badges with Porsche items, and replace a few bits in the interior.

How is it to drive and own? Well, I'd say basically like a stock 964 plus 5%. It gained a good few bhp from the new exhaust and remap, and because the impact bumpers, aluminium bonnet and most of the interior is removed, the car is around 100kg lighter than a stock C2, it goes pretty well and sounds great with the HS exhaust. I think it is marginally faster than a stock C2, but it is the way these cars make you feel that is so special, I don't need to go at warp speed to enjoy the car. That was the big thing for me - I had a 997 before that and needed to be travelling at very high speeds to be having anything like the same level of fun. Stepping out of the 997 and into the PS car, the look of the car, the smell of the leather (and oil) in the interior, and the sound of that aircooled engine had me from the start. Plus the car is comparatively unique and always gets a positive reaction, something that I couldn't say about my 997. It costs the same as any other 964 to maintain and insure, which is a great plus as well, and it is a very small car so good for use in London.

It's now back with PS getting the big stuff done - a 3.8 rebuild, together with a 6-speed G50 from a 993 (with short shift kit), LWF, LSD, another remap, new Bilsteins, RS engine mounts, RS brakes, a paint refresh, a new lighting kit and some other bits...

Hare a few pics - the "studio" ones are from when I purchased the car, the other is from a driving trip to Scotland, I'll post some others later once I get her back from PS...
Attached Images       

Last edited by cuse92; 10-25-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: New Pics posted
Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
falcor
Racer

Beautiful !
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

So nice!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Originally Posted by cuse92
Well, I'd say basically like a stock 964 plus 5%. ..
Fantastic, Ben.
I'd say after all this work, you'll have to adjust that 5% by a good few points!!!

Looking forward to seeing it

V
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

It's now back with PS getting the big stuff done - a 3.8 rebuild, together with a 6-speed G50 from a 993 (with short shift kit), LWF, LSD, another remap, new Bilsteins, RS engine mounts, RS brakes, a paint refresh, a new lighting kit and some other bits...

Hare a few pics - the "studio" ones are from when I purchased the car, the other is from a driving trip to Scotland, I'll post some others later once I get her back from PS...
Wow, the story gets better! That is a super list of mods. The earlier part about the car driving like a C2 plus 5% will surely change when you get the car back.

Thanks for starting the tread. I have a self interest in the resto. mods as I'd like to integrate some of them into my car over the coming years, especially the interior. Keeping with the Porsche racing theme, but mixing elements from the older cockpits. For example, I might use patterned vinyl instead of smooth door panel material when I make my RS door panels. I also like the patterned material on the center dashboard panel (no chrome though). The little things I think about when I'm not under the car fixing something.

I agree, it's not a project I would start but that all disappears when you are out on the road with the car. My car is pretty well received on a personal basis (when someone can come up to the car and say hello, verses people trying to race the car in traffic). Unlike 997s, 964s look small like their Longhood brothers. I'm sure the PS Autoart takes that reaction to a whole new level.

Looking forward to the update!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

when is this going to be offered as a kit for the US? Love it...too bad they dont have an office here.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stuff Ben... it's a beautiful car and those upgrades will be awesome!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
paa502
Pro

WOW! And thanks. Love it. Perfect miix of classic look, with sport purpose interior,and modern running gear.

And getting a 3.8 & 6 spd.

Enjoy.

Last edited by paa502; 10-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful car and package

if you are getting the 6 speed gearbox, please make sure it is the 993 mk1 this has much closer ratios than the mk2 version.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sergiDA
beautiful car and package

if you are getting the 6 speed gearbox, please make sure it is the 993 mk1 this has much closer ratios than the mk2 version.
Yes, I think if you get a later 6speed 1 to 5 will be just about the same gearing that you already have in your 964.

I would ping Bill Verburg, he has a ton of data and is always a big help.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...hlight=gearing

Great car by the way
Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Default NEW PICS FROM REBUILD

So, after a very long time, have a bit of an update...

The rebuild has been moving pretty slowly due to delays in parts, but at long last the 3.8 engine rebuild is complete, some pics attached. The engine is back in the car (see last pic), with the 6-speed G50 mk 1 (from a 1995 993) in, with short shift kit, LWF and LSD all installed.... the only thing we are waiting on for on the drivetrain is (I know it technically isn't the drivetrain but..) to receive the custom-made gearknob. As it is a six-speed but I wanted a **** that looked like that of an early 1970's 911S, I needed to get a one-off fabricated (using the one in the Singer cars as inspiration) and it is taking ages.
Attached Images       
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Default NEW PICS PART TWO

Some additional pics of bits being done...

I've had the wheels refurbed as the rims were originally in bare aluminium and they were impossible to keep clean, even if water dried on them it left a mark that was a pain to get off. They now are "varnished" so it shouldn't be an issue.

The dampers are new (OEM) Bilsteins, I've decided for the moment to forgo KW v3's as originally anticipated - I'll only be doing a couple of track days a year so I want to try this out first. The springs are lowered Cargraphics which Paul put on the car during the original PS build (they need to be lowered because the car is so much lighter than stock it was sitting up on the stock springs). All of the bushes throughout the car have been replaced, and the engine is on new 993RS engine mounts.

On the last pic you can see the full (including exhaust manifolds) Hayward and Scott exhaust I had put on the car when I bought it in April 2010.

Also new are the upgraded 964RS brakes...the rear calipers on these are causing the major delay at the moment as Porsche aren't committing to when we'll get them... in the meantime the car is getting a paint refresh and getting the new light boxes and headlights (we are trying to get the halogens from AP Design but are having some difficulty).

We are going to do a full photo shoot when the car is completed and I'll post more pics then as well as some rough info on how much it all cost me....

Ben
Attached Images      
Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Looking great, Ben

Bet you can't wait to get it back !
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...As it is a six-speed but I wanted a **** that looked like that of an early 1970's 911S, I needed to get a one-off fabricated (using the one in the Singer cars as inspiration) and it is taking ages.
It's all in the details. Very cool!

I like the all black look of the engine and your exhaust headers look way cool.
Thanks for keeping us updated, it's a stunning car!

Quick Reply: PS Autoart *BUILD PROGRESS - NEW PICS*