Sponsored by:

New Rennlist-er

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
AEM964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rennlist-er

Hello all. I thought I should formally introduce myself before getting in too deep on this great site!

I am from Massachusetts and the proud owner of a Gran Prix white '90 C2 with just over 72,000 miles on the clock.

My love of all things Porsche started at an early age when my father used to sit me on his lap in the driver's seat of his '77 Targa when I was not much more than one or two years old. My passion for sports cars, especially German sports cars, grew as I aged until reaching its peak when I was able to afford my first BMW. . .an '06 330xi. Terrific car. . .until a drove an '07 335i twin turbo. Amazing car. . .until I turned the clock back and drove a '90 Porsche. Words cannot describe. . .

The itch for a 964 developed when my soon to be wife (married 12/31/10) and I were vacationing in Florida about two years ago. While there we spotted a white 964 and both thought the same thing. . .wouldn't it be great to own a classic like that. That was all I needed!

After having success buying a 1983 Toyota Landcruiser in Colorado off eBay, I decided to dip into the same eBay well. After some searching I found a 964 in Shrewsbury, MA and thought it was too close and looked too good to pass up. . .at least take a look.

Prior to checking the car out I searched the internet for as much information as possible regarding 964's and their pitfalls. I was also able to speak with a Porsche salesman in Florida with 30 years of Porsche experience as well as the service manager at the same dealership. . .all thanks to my father who has more recently had a 996 and currently a 997.

Armed with some knowledge (never enough) and experience, I drove out to Shrewsbury to check the car out. All I can say is. . .the classic lines. . .the still familiar smell of the interior. . .the five analog gauges staring at you from behind the wheel. . .the sound!!. . . .sold. . .sold. . .sold.

The car turned out to be pretty solid. . .extremely clean inside and out. . .63,000 miles. . .Gran Prix White/Marine Blue partial leather. . .perhaps a little paintwork in the rear passenger side quarter but well done.

Since purchasing in May 2010 I have done the following. . .distributor drive belt/breather hose. . .valve adjustment. . .new wire set. . .primary muffler bypass. . .Cup II's (to replace my replica Cup I's). . .tires. . .clear turn signals. . .new tail light set. . .respray rockers, rear bumper, front bumper (shaved out license plate indent). . .the paintwork wasn't really necessary. . .I'm just that kind of guy.

Possible future upgrades. . .Steve Wong chip (although I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to whether chipping is worth it). . .drilled airbox (worth it? I'd like to find a spare first). . .suspension upgrade (when the time comes). . .drive and enjoy!

Sorry if this is a little long but I'm really looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here and hopefully I can contribute some along the way. Thanks for taking the time to learn a little about me and my 964!
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
alanp
Instructor

Welcome...great story....white 964's are just the best. I've done similar upgrades including new shocks/springs, cup wheels and clear lenses also. I have a lightweight flywheel so the SW chip was a must in order to stabilize the idle.

Enjoy...great car.

alanP
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
campoj2
Racer

Congrats and welcome!

I have the same 2 toys in my garage (100 series & both are white)- are you a member of Mud forum?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Bassen
Instructor

Jealous on not having a front licence plate
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...love it in white..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to RL! Also that's a mighty fine 'Cruiser you have there...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Nice 964& nice land cruiser....I want a early land cruiser...there a great old tank!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
AEM964
Intermediate

Thank you all for the compliments!!

The front plate delete wasn't all that bad when it comes down to it. If you can find a body shop that can plastic weld it's doable. My guy cut along the indentation, pulled it out, plastic welded it back together and then used some heavy duty filler/two part epoxy to strengthen and fill. In all I'd say about 8 hours of labor. I haven't seen another so it's worth every penny.

The Landcruiser was my first venture into the classic car world and boy am I lucky. I had a horrible experience with a '98 Land Rover Discovery (electrical fire 5 days in. . .totaled thank God) so I wanted to find something simple for winter.

The Landcruiser has never disappointed. Picked it up in Colorado after having a PPI done at a local shop and drove it home to MA by way of Chicago and Cooperstown, NY.

It's really terrific. All original. . .about 155,000 on it now. . .just a baby. It probably gets as many compliments as my 964.

Thanks again all. Any input is welcome!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head on over to www.japanesenostalgiccar.com forums, the guys there would get a kick out of your 'Cruiser
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by AEM964
...I turned the clock back and drove a '90 Porsche. Words cannot describe. . .
Great intro! We feel the love.

It's nice to hear your wife is on board also, and that your dad currently owns a 997. I'm sure he's a little bit jealous of your beast. I love your mods and am very impressed you've already done your own valve adjustment!

Possible future upgrades. . .Steve Wong chip (although I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to whether chipping is worth it). . .drilled airbox (worth it? I'd like to find a spare first). . .suspension upgrade (when the time comes). . .drive and enjoy!
- chip? steady idle and a stronger mid range (sub 4K).
- drilled airbox? Give it full throttle at 3.5K RPM and laugh at how throaty it sounds. BaaaHHHH!

Check your motor mounts, if sagging new ones will sharpen up the handling.

Great to have you on the forum.

Quick Reply: New Rennlist-er