Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default harmonic balancer

The job for the weekend is to renew the cam covers gaskets. The passenger side cam cover comes off after removing the A/C bracket, and to remove that I need to remove the harmonic balancer. To remove the balancer, I made the removal tool > https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...oval-tool.html

Well, I'm taking a beer break after struggling to break the 14mm center bolt loose on the hub. Looks like I'll need to remove the rear bumper to get better access to that area so I can apply more torque. Is there another way of locking the crank on a TIP car? I've tried an impact wrench. Do I need to drink another beer? I can't understand why the Ferdinand Porsche designed this car were you need to disassemble the rear end to change a cover gasket......
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Do I need to drink another beer?
Duh.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

So I had another beer........and reworked my removal tool. The center bolt then broke free. After getting off the AC compressor bracket, I modified the bracket to come off with the harmonic hub still on.
So my tool and puller bolt are available - you pay shipping. If you have a manual trans, I think all you need to to put it in gear to hold the crank as you torque on the center bolt, or if you have the engine out, you can lock the ring gear. But being mine is a TIP, and in the car, there was no way to lock the engine.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Mojo - Great looking tool. I have my cab's engine out and am in the process of rebuilding it. I struggled to get the harmonic balancer off too. I wish I had the fabrication skills to make such a tool. It would have been very handy. I ended up using a propane torch to warm the area. Then with my impact gun, I was able to remove the pulley.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I wish I had the fabrication skills to make such a tool.
You need to drink more beer
Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice Job!
The amount of determination, creativity, and skill on this board never ceases to amaze me.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer