4. Cheeksyboy (joining for beers)
5. Freedman (joining for beers)
6. Liam - booked
7. Oldtimer - booked
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, are Donington strict about noise? I haven't tracked my 964T before so dont know how loud it is (it has B&B headers and a G pipe). I used an iphone app to do a static test (3/4 revs) and it was lower than the 98dB, but I'm worried that the iphone probably isn't accurate. And it pops when you come off the throttle, and the pops are louder than when you are driving along.

I have a final silencer in the shed, but don't really want to pay for it to be fitted and then removed unless I have to - bumps up the cost of the trackday a bit!

In your experience, do 964's with G pipes fail the noise test?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wagonface
Steve, are Donington strict about noise? I haven't tracked my 964T before so dont know how loud it is (it has B&B headers and a G pipe). I used an iphone app to do a static test (3/4 revs) and it was lower than the 98dB, but I'm worried that the iphone probably isn't accurate. And it pops when you come off the throttle, and the pops are louder than when you are driving along.

I have a final silencer in the shed, but don't really want to pay for it to be fitted and then removed unless I have to - bumps up the cost of the trackday a bit!

In your experience, do 964's with G pipes fail the noise test?
Hi Josh. Yes they are strict(ish) but they don't do a static test. It's a driveby noise meter. This trips at 98 db which is about equivalent to a 105 db static test.

In general 911s are quite good for driveby and poor at static tests (because of the engine being at the back). A 964 with only one part of the exhaust bypassed should have no problems at Donny.

The best advice I can give is to always shift up before the red line (particularly in the morning session when they're most keen on finding the noisy cars). Also, short shift up as soon as you come out of the chicane the leads on to the start/finish straight. If you don't max out the revs, you won't bother the noise meters.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Thanks Steve - I am going to do some more static tests to see what I score. I wonder if a turbo is louder than a NA car?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Hi Josh. Yes they are strict(ish) but they don't do a static test. It's a driveby noise meter. This trips at 98 db which is about equivalent to a 105 db static test.

In general 911s are quite good for driveby and poor at static tests (because of the engine being at the back). A 964 with only one part of the exhaust bypassed should have no problems at Donny.

The best advice I can give is to always shift up before the red line (particularly in the morning session when they're most keen on finding the noisy cars). Also, short shift up as soon as you come out of the chicane the leads on to the start/finish straight. If you don't max out the revs, you won't bother the noise meters.
They did a static test on me last year when I 'tripped' the noise meter....but let me back out as I was just on/below the 105db limit! But, I do have a modified exhaust!

Thanks Steve - I am going to do some more static tests to see what I score. I wonder if a turbo is louder than a NA car?
Turbo should be quieter, unless you've modded the exhaust.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
They did a static test on me last year when I 'tripped' the noise meter....but let me back out as I was just on/below the 105db limit! But, I do have a modified exhaust!
Yes, they give you a second chance with the static but most usually fail the static second chance because it's supposed to only allow up 100 db. Sounds like you were lucky!

I can't stress enough to anyone that wants to do trackdays to keep their exhaust as standard as possible....otherwise you'll be sitting on the sidelines. Mine regularly tests at 100 db static and have no problems at tracks.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
oldtimer
Racer

I can't stress enough to anyone that wants to do trackdays to keep their exhaust as standard as possible....otherwise you'll be sitting on the sidelines. Mine regularly tests at 100 db static and have no problems at tracks.
As above , for 9 years I ran a 964RS which was just for trackdays , it came with standard 964 exhaust system , cat , primary , secondary , full undershield , unmolested airbox ...exactly as it left the factory.
I could nurse it onto a 98db day when engine hot and with clutch depressed and easing slowly up to 4500 rpm. Otherwise it would typically make 100db which became 101db if I forgot clutch , had cold engine , or blipped to 4600.

I now run a 964C2 stripped out for trackdays with decat , primary , secondary , no undershield , unmolested airbox and it gives same noise results as above . Its plenty loud enough for a road car , plus I can get onto just about all circuits - which its its raison d'etre anyway
Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Yes, they give you a second chance with the static but most usually fail the static second chance because it's supposed to only allow up 100 db. Sounds like you were lucky!

Originally Posted by oldtimer
As above , for 9 years I ran a 964RS which was just for trackdays , it came with standard 964 exhaust system , cat , primary , secondary , full undershield , unmolested airbox ...exactly as it left the factory.
I could nurse it onto a 98db day when engine hot and with clutch depressed and easing slowly up to 4500 rpm. Otherwise it would typically make 100db which became 101db if I forgot clutch , had cold engine , or blipped to 4600.

I now run a 964C2 stripped out for trackdays with decat , primary , secondary , no undershield , unmolested airbox and it gives same noise results as above . Its plenty loud enough for a road car , plus I can get onto just about all circuits - which its its raison d'etre anyway
I could not agree with you both more. I wasn't meaning to sound like I was promoting loud exhausts or that they were the way to go.....indeed I am saving to have a quiet, but still bhp releasing exhaust fitted to the car so I can look at also attending 98db days.....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Thanks for the comments guys, but I think I am more confused now. I have a 964T with B&B headers and a G pipe.

It sounds like this might be too much, because it's non standard. Anyone know somewhere in Surrey to get noise levels tested?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the comments guys, but I think I am more confused now. I have a 964T with B&B headers and a G pipe.

It sounds like this might be too much, because it's non standard. Anyone know somewhere in Surrey to get noise levels tested?
Check the motorsport vision website for a trackday at Brands Hatch and pop along for a noise test. They won't charge you while a track day is going on. If the static test comes out less than 105 db you should be fine for the 98 db driveby at Donington.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 AM
wagonface
Instructor

I got 102dB using my iPhone app for a static test.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

u r stressing about nothing. My car is +100dB's as is Franks. We got black flagged at the Ring but Donington was no wuckas last year.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
u r stressing about nothing. My car is +100dB's as is Franks. We got black flagged at the Ring but Donington was no wuckas last year.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 AM
jamest
Instructor

Unfortunately, it looks as though I may have to duck out of this as I am mulling over potentially selling my car. PM me if anyone is interested in taking my place.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jamest
As I am mulling over potentially selling my car.
Selling, how come?

Originally Posted by jamest
PM me if anyone is interested in taking my place.
+1 The car won't be done by then.

7TH July - 964s @ Donington:
1. Steve
2. Grant
3. Pesty
4. Alex
5. Andrew
6. James T
7. Wagonface
8. Paul
9. Steve C
10. Leslie