Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro and in search of a 964....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 AM
sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and in search of a 964....

Hello folks! I've been lurking this forum for a couple of weeks now and wanted to finally post a brief introduction here.

I've actually been a member since 05 which is about the time I bought my very first Porsche. A seal grey 996 Turbo. Since then I've modified the car and dressed her up to the nines. In the tune of Techart/GT2 bits, EVO GT660 kit, and Moton Clubsports. Needless to say it's a beast!

My car obsession and evolution, so to speak, started with VWs and owned an 89 Jetta 16v GLI stock with Recaro seats and BBS rims. It was a gloss black exterior with red accents...very sporty. BMWs came next with the E30 M3 then E46M3,..which I custom ordered Carbon Black w/cinnamon interior and heavily but tastefully modified with CSL bits, Ground Control coilovers and gone through, what seemed like, new set of wheels every year. I currently drive a Mercedes e320 sport as my DD and the TT as a weekend warrior and DEs on occasion.

But currently and I'm sure till Judgement day my heart and soul belongs to Porsche. Or at least until I can afford a Ferrari..

But really, I love these cars and so it brings me to my search of a 964. There's no amount of adjectives I can say that people here don't already know about this gem. I've always loved the styling of the 964 and I hope to find one to call my own. I'm learning and educating myself everday! I finally understand what this air-cooled love affair is all about. Words just cannot explain.

So, if you, a friend, a friend of a friend, aunts, uncles or have any leads by all means let me know..

My preference in no particular order...

Years - any but prefer 92 to 94
Type - C2 or C4
Exterior - Black, Grey, or any dark or neutral color (no Red, Green, Yellow)
Interior - Black or Grey
Narrow Body only!

Generally in search of a well sorted, well maintained, leak free, no rust, no accidents example.

I'm located in the SF Bay Area, CA. Obviously would love to get one local but will get it shipped if the car fits the bill.

Also, suspension i.e. coilovers, RS bits, wheels (gawd no 19s please) and other functional tasteful mods are a plus!

Referral fee may be in line as well...

Thanks all!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Nice introduction and welcome to the 964 Forum.

In the US, rust won't be much of an issue. With respect to oil leaks, there are some that are very easy to fix and (well) there are some that are more "challenging". Just have a thorough PPI done by a capable shop. Just keep in mind that with these cars being 20 years old, what you are looking for is getting harder and harder to find so be patient.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
mada1
Racer

Check here. THere is a 91 for sale in Marin
http://www.hitecauto.com/
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...4-993-cab.html

He's looking for a trade, but doesn't hurt to ask him if he's interested in selling.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM
sc
Racer

Default Thanks guys! I'll check those out..

the one in Marin I know about and if not for the interior I would be knocking.

Also, patience I do have. I want to find the "right" one.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

PM sent.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

After reading your post, I have to say...I drive 911's because of the way they feel, not because I can't afford a Ferrari. If I ever decide to get into a Ferrari, I will continue to drive 911's as well. They are different cars and both world class.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you should limit yourself to 92-94 models. The only external difference from 90-91 narrow bodies is the flag mirrors (which can be replaced for pretty cheap if so desired).

Mechanically speaking, if you find a car which had the early issues addressed when the TSBs were released (head gasket, distributor vent, etc.), there's really not much difference, other than specific suspension parts, etc. And of course the wheels, but after 20 years, we now have plenty of those available.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stinkydog
I don't think you should limit yourself to 92-94 models. The only external difference from 90-91 narrow bodies is the flag mirrors (which can be replaced for pretty cheap if so desired).

Mechanically speaking, if you find a car which had the early issues addressed when the TSBs were released (head gasket, distributor vent, etc.), there's really not much difference, other than specific suspension parts, etc. And of course the wheels, but after 20 years, we now have plenty of those available.
The AC is r12 on the earlier 964s, so that may cost a bit to change over to 134a. I am just about to do mine it is getting hot in Atlanta.

I would still buy the best example an not think too much about the year.

Last edited by SuperUser; 04-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
sc
Racer

Great advice guys...I'm taking all of them to heart. I guess my thought about preferring 92 and up is due to issues from the prior ones that we're addressed by Stuttgart. But I understand now that most have had TSBs etc. done to them by this time.

Also, I guess I can expand my preference a bit from 90 on as I'd really want an airbag as much as possible. Btw, no cabs.

I found a clean 91 C4 out of Spokane from a PCA member. Looks very clean in a very interesting silver metallic color but with a slight green hue to it. First time I seen this color. It looks stunning with the black interior. The PO had done a laundry list of stuff to it from an engine rebuild, suspension upgrade to Bilstein coil overs, brakes, the works worth ~$17K in parts/labor from a Porsche dealer in CT I believe. The only issue is the car has race cams in it and will never pass smog in California!

If anyone is interested in this car I'd be happy to forward the info.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperUser
The AC is r12 on the earlier 964s, so that may cost a bit to change over to 134a. I am just about to do mine it is getting hot in Atlanta.

I would still buy the best example an not think too much about the year.
Ahh yeah forgot about that. I started using Freeze-12, and while it's not as efficient as 134a, it's a pretty inexpensive (interim) solution.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
sc
Racer

Here are a couple of rather poor pics of my turbo for those who care...and to add to my intro..

The search continues......

Quick Reply: Intro and in search of a 964....