Sponsored by:

When a non-car guy owns a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When a non-car guy owns a Porsche

I came out of the gym on Saturday and this guy was looking at my 964. I saw a 993 parked near by which was owned by him. After talking with him for 2 minutes, I knew that he didn't know anything about cars.

He owned his 993 for 10 years. Last year he got fed up with all of the oil leaks and took it to the dealer to get an estimate to get them all fixed. The dealer's estimate was $14,000!!!!!!!! He seriously considered it before someone told him to get another estimate from an independent shop. They fixed all of the oil leaks for $4000.

I'm sure glad I learned how to turn wrenches very early on in my life.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

So, are you saying that if don't turn a wrench you are not a car guy?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you at least tell him about rennlist???

Previous owner of my 911 was not a "car guy" however he had a good mechanic that took care of the car and even helped him sell the car to me.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
So, are you saying that if don't turn a wrench you are not a car guy?
You can be a car guy if you don't turn a wrench, but you're not a car guy if you don't know how to turn a wrench or understand how the car operates. You might talk a good game but you really don't know anything that hasn't been told to you by someone else because you have no practical experience.

I turn wrenches on my own stuff because I like to do it, I know it is done correctly, and it saves money. But there are some things I choose not to mess with and have it done.

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Did you at least tell him about rennlist???

Previous owner of my 911 was not a "car guy" however he had a good mechanic that took care of the car and even helped him sell the car to me.
Yes!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he's like Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder....he can drive, but doesn't have a clue about the car. I'm not mechanically inclined either, but I like to think I'm a car guy just because I enjoy looking and driving at fine automobiles...

that's my two rupees....
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Maybe you should swap "car guy" for "gear head".
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I would classify someone who wasn't a car guy as a guy who drove the car into the ground, skimped on maintenance, never washed the car, curbed all the wheels, didn't give a crap about where he parked it and sold it at the first hint of a major repair coming due.
This is the perfect description of my wife's cousin, who utterly destroyed a new 997 Carrera by driving it into and parking it in Manhattan for 5 years until the radiator sprung a leak and she wasn't smart enough to shut the car down. End result was she cooked the engine and sold the car for salvage rather than repair it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I have to agree ... Just because you can turn a key, doesn't make you a "car guy". Anyone can own a car, but there is a certain wonderment that a car guy has to take things apart and appreciated the way they work. Getting under there and knowing you did the job right (that's what she said), is what makes a "car guy", well, a car guy.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie964
Anyone can own a car, but there is a certain wonderment that a car guy has to take things apart and appreciated the way they work. Getting under there and knowing you did the job right (that's what she said), is what makes a "car guy", well, a car guy.
For those of us who can wrench on cars, it's very special. However, not everyone has the talent. Guys that have to pay someone else to wrench on their pride and joy are car guys too.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

This is one of those topics where everyone will have their own opinion - and opinion is one of those things that can't be proven right or wrong
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a Car "nut" I love driving cars, reading about cars, talking about cars etc. Etc. But I don't do anything to Fix my cars, I am a Car guy? I think so.
My idea of a perfect weekend is competing in a time trial on saturday and watching any Car race on sunday(Formula one is my favorite)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree Henry. I think "gear head" is the term for the guy who works on his cars as well. If I ever make it to Argentina I would enjoy speaking with about your car, its history, and your track adventures just a much as the guy who also works on his cars. We both have share a common passion for these wonderful vehicles.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Basalt997tt
Intermediate

Back when I had more time than $$, all work was done by me. Would get the old clymer (sp?) manuals and tear anything apart. My first vehicle was a bike that was parts from 3 nonrunning cycles. Now, as a surgeon, the money/time thing is a bit more in ny favor and I also need to think twice what my hands are exposed to. I recently watched a fellow surgeon sit out 5wks with a car repair hand injury. I can assure you, I'm still a car guy...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
bmohr
Racer

@metal guru. I'd also add a good touch of courage to that list. I'd say courage is at the top actually, it doesn't take much talent, just the courage to try, to research to get dirty and maybe even mess things up. But in the end you learn, you build some troubleshooting skills and that takes you to the next repair etc etc. I think many people with more talent than me never worked on their cars because they were a bit hesitant to mess with these icons which we have all put on pedestals. all good comments here though. Oh and Basalt, I think we all can relate more and more to what you pointed out, that the reality of life can intervene and make us decide on how practical a certain repair might be to do yourself vs. the shop. Time, money, job, family etc. Def comes into play with all of us to some degree or another.

Quick Reply: When a non-car guy owns a Porsche