Sponsored by:

91 964 C2 Coupe MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 964 C2 Coupe MT

I am having a PPI done on a 91 964 C2 Coupe MT which has over 115K miles on it.

I has been serviced regularly but I do not think the engine has ever been rebuilt. It does have a good amount of service records but I think the current owner is a little too busy to go through them all.

Therefore, I will just pay to get a PPI done where they have been servicing the car since 2005.

The body on the car is in very very good shape...interior is not the best color and aged a bit but a good detail could bring in back to life.

What is a good price for a car like this considering the engine may need to be rebuilt within the next two years?

At this point the mechanic says the car no doubt is drivable to Cali and I live in NJ. There are probably no compression issues and he says it idles well. But I would prefer to get the PPI and have the compression measured to know for sure.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

$16-$18k
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Opo -- Thanks for the quick response.

It is leaking some oil but I think it is minimal. The mechanic/owner of the shop was basically saying the car runs and idles well. But he suggested fixing the oil leak...and then as a result of that he suggested to do an engine rebuild and install a new clutch.

Then I asked him...do you know if the engine is leaking oil from the head seal and he responded he was not sure where the leak was coming from. Based on that I was thinking well why would he know for sure he needs to take the engine out to resolve the leak issue...then go to rebuilding the top end to installing a clutch.

That is when I just asked him to do the PPI to check for compression/leak down and I wanted to know the number off the engine...since in 91 after a certain engine build number the issue was corrected.

I think if it passes compression I will purchase the car.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opo
$16-$18k
quick question...is that a conservative estimate on value for a car that has not had an engine rebuild?

i am basically trying to make sure that i can buy the car and after putting some money into it...not get hurt too badly on the future resale.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2 cents. Get the PPI done at another shop, for a fresh and independent set of eyes.
Ask them where the leak(s) are coming from and also get a leakdown test, not just a compression test.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opo
$16-$18k
Originally Posted by Laker
My 2 cents. Get the PPI done at another shop, for a fresh and independent set of eyes.
Ask them where the leak(s) are coming from and also get a leakdown test, not just a compression test.
i was somewhat thinking an independent set of eyes would be good.

what is the difference between compression and leakdown test?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A leakdown measures how well the cylinders hold the compression and can pinpoint where that compression is leaking from, i.e. the valves.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

BTW -- I am from Moorestown, NJ.

I just googled leakdown vs compression test...now understand.

the place where they have had the car serviced since 2005 is

rennwerke porsche

http://rennwerkeporschetechnicians.c...WERKE_HOME.php
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

A leakdown measures how well the cylinders hold the compression and can pinpoint where that compression is leaking from, i.e. the valves.
thanks again.

the car no doubt is drivable...

part of me at times wonders if i factor in the cost of an engine rebuild ...

what is the point of getting the PPI done especially both the compression and leakdown test since the car is running well and I am going to eventually rebuild the engine.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
what is the point of getting the PPI done especially both the compression and leakdown test since the car is running well and I am going to eventually rebuild the engine.
There's so much more a PPI can discover beyond engine health.

At least there should be if the PPI is performed by a good shop.

Also, the findings from the PPI can empower you to negotiate w/ the seller and drive down the price of the car an amount that is in excess of the cost of the PPI.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM
dkcaims
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that there are a number of beautiful, well sorted, low mileage cars out there that come up for sale each year.
Case in point... my car was 19k with 120k miles (had a supercharger then, back to N/A now) with suspension mods, cup clutch, 3 sets of wheels/tires and engine rebuilt at 75k. In the first year of ownership I've put 12k into it for a clutch and other repairs (by a tech, not myself). So now I'm into it for 31k.
Over the last year, I've seen a couple other low mileage cars in concours condition for around 30k with all the right mods.

If I were to do it again, I would wait to find the perfect car in mint condition. They are out there, if you can afford the additional costs from the start.

Such as (both sold already)...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rica-look.html
and
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...93-964-c2.html

That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dkcaims
Keep in mind that there are a number of beautiful, well sorted, low mileage cars out there that come up for sale each year.
Case in point... my car was 19k with 120k miles (had a supercharger then, back to N/A now) with suspension mods, cup clutch, 3 sets of wheels/tires and engine rebuilt at 75k. In the first year of ownership I've put 12k into it for a clutch and other repairs (by a tech, not myself). So now I'm into it for 31k.
Over the last year, I've seen a couple other low mileage cars in concours condition for around 30k with all the right mods.

If I were to do it again, I would wait to find the perfect car in mint condition. They are out there, if you can afford the additional costs from the start.

Although there is some truth to this school of thought, at the end of the day, you're in for $31K for your 120K mies 964. Sure, you dumped a bucket of money into this first year, but now it's all sorted out. Equally important, you know who sorted it out and exactly what was done. Barring the very unexpected, you're probably looking at many years of trouble free, and mostly cost-free, driving.

The flip side of buying the low-mileage 964 in "mint" condition is, these cars are 20 years old or more now. Even with a "mint" car, one should always budget a few thousand when buying an old car. So, let's say for example you buy this mint low-miles 964 for $31K. It had previous work done by people you don't know, and you also don't know what was done and how well. You now dump a few thousand to sort whatever it needs, and now you're into it for, say, $33K (or likely even more), with no certainty at all that you're looking at many years of trouble free motoring.

I like the first scenario better. It cost less, and will probably continue to cost less for the next several years too
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dkcaims

Such as (both sold already)...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rica-look.html
and
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...93-964-c2.html

I agree with you 100%.

More than likely this car will be a second car for me...I have never even driven a Porsche before. But I never drove my current car prior to paying for it and driving it out of an Audi dealership. My current car is a 2008 Audi RS4.

The 964 will be modded, ie upgraded brakes/suspension/wheels/tires and exhaust...easy stuff first. Part of me like to buy the car already there and then part of me like to do some of the work myself.

The 964 more than likely will be a car I drive once in a while and for HPDE classes. Now if I like to drive it a lot then I will drive it more and keep the RS4 in the garage more.

The exterior of the car is in very very good condition and the only negative I see in doing HPDE in it. Otherwise interior is a little ugly/worn (no rips), the engine leaks some oil and has 115K plus miles on it.

I agree that second car was a great car...the first one is nice but I dont want Triptronic.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Agree the PPI is more than just about the motor.

After thinking about it more I will go to the shop while they perform the PPI. I work remotely for my job and can work in their waiting room while waiting for them to get to the car.

It would be nice to see the compression and leak down done in person. Plus review the PPI results in person instead of over the phone.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Although there is some truth to this school of thought, at the end of the day, you're in for $31K for your 120K mies 964. Sure, you dumped a bucket of money into this first year, but now it's all sorted out. Equally important, you know who sorted it out and exactly what was done. Barring the very unexpected, you're probably looking at many years of trouble free, and mostly cost-free, driving.

The flip side of buying the low-mileage 964 in "mint" condition is, these cars are 20 years old or more now. Even with a "mint" car, one should always budget a few thousand when buying an old car. So, let's say for example you buy this mint low-miles 964 for $31K. It had previous work done by people you don't know, and you also don't know what was done and how well. You now dump a few thousand to sort whatever it needs, and now you're into it for, say, $33K (or likely even more), with no certainty at all that you're looking at many years of trouble free motoring.

I like the first scenario better. It cost less, and will probably continue to cost less for the next several years too
OK...what is the car worth in your opinion if I go with it...ie the first scenario

91 Porsche 964
115K plus miles
Never had engine rebuilt
Does have somewhat an extensive service history -- sm owner last 10 years
Body is in very very good condition
Interior is a little worn...but also not very appealing

in the first scenario...what would this car be worth??

Quick Reply: 91 964 C2 Coupe MT