Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Tip Owners - Tell Me About Your Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
mike8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart move...keep an eye on auto trader, for some reason they pop up there.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny you mention that...there are two Tip convertibles in the area on Autotrader right now. Both are black/black, around 100-120k miles, and both are asking around $15k. If I were a convertible person...I might seriously consider them. Alas...I really want a coupe (and would settle for a Targa).
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't have much to add as I barely have driven my tip but when I did it wasn't so great because of lack of tune up and other idling issues. That's why I am neck deep in my engine reseal and engine refurbishment project. Convertible tips are everywhere and it would be easy to pick up a west coast convertible. Coupe's seem much harder to find. Setup the usual automated seaches on ebay, auto trader, cars.com and use the national craiglist search app on your iphone or ipad.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I've had mine for 12 years. It's got 180K on the clock and the tip is still very strong. It's great for commuting in the SF Bay Area.

I've done DE's for the last 4 years in it, and the only drawback is the gearing, first is simply useless, so it's a 3 speed on the track. That being said, I'm turning some great times, and had a Porsche Factory Driver comment on how fast the car was.

You can do things in the corners with the slushbox that would spin other cars. It unnerves the instructors when it downshifts in the corners under power.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean it comes in a manual version? It's great in daily commutes. Keep it in manual mode and you have your stick. No clutch wear/tear to deal with. That said, no on purpose wheel spins unless you are on wet pavement. O-60 acceleration is a almost a sec off of a manual (that's what I read). But you really can't tell from a rolling start (from my experience). On the highway, no difference to me.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

So just to update...I went to visit family this weekend (two hours away), which happens to be the same area that car was in. Communicating via text, I told the owner I'd be in town and was hoping to see the car. Since it was at his shop, but he didn't live close to his shop, he would have his relative park the car outside the shop for me to see. Now, I know he knows I live two hours away and, even though we were seeing family, we did drive a long way to see his car. Color me a little miffed that he wouldn't show up to meet me with the car so I could hear it, smell it, drive it, etc. But ok, maybe just looking at it will tell me more about the car. So, Sunday morning when we showed up at the shop...it wasn't there. I texted the owner and mentioned this. He apologized, but offered no explanation. So now I'm more than a little miffed. He wanted to try to set up another time, but I told him don't bother. I know selling cars is a P.I.T.A. (I've sold a few...check my sig!), but when you have a serious buyer who has made multiple inquiries and wants to see the car, wouldn't you make more of an effort to be there? ..or be sure the car is there? I don't get it...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM
mike8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move on, for what he is asking for that car he should have picked you up with a limo. When these cars do come up for sale they tend to sit on the market before they move. the tip doesn't have the "wide" appeal that the standard carries.
Be patient and one will come around that will meet your expectations....
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good advice and I agree with you!

Cheers
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
mozsan
Advanced

Doug, a 92T came up for sale on the 964 forum today...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
flyboy1717
Advanced

Doug, the 92 Tip that came up on the forum is mine. I've had it for 2.5 years, and my last p-car was a 99 Boxster which had a manual transmission. I think the tip is incredibly resilient, and considering my car has 240,000 miles, I think you would agree. The tip didn't take any "getting used" to. As others have said, I find myself spending most my time in "D", but will shift into 2nd and/or 3rd to take some exits spirited from time to time.

My ad can be seen here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=54122
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Doug...you gonna get a PPI?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Hi Doug

Had a C2 Tip for 2.5 wonderful years.

I initially bought it due to not being able to drive a stick as I had old rugby injuries to the neck, shoulder and back.

It's a great commuter, and you can waft along, but if you feel you need a more spirited drive, slip it into manual.

While the car isn't quick off the line due to the transmission losses, once you're rolling, there isn't much in it between a stick and a tip. For example, I was rolling along in 1st, just off a stop light, and a Ferrari 360 wanted to play, and I kept up in the 1st 3 gears. It was a public road, so I didn't go much beyond that.

The transmission is almost bullet proof, but don't go beyond the torque ceiling. This usually happens in extreme situations like in mods with a large bore 3.8L kit, or a supercharger, and a simple chip-up with a Steve Wong special isn't going to affect it in any negative way.

I changed all fluids, including the transmission oil, every year.

For added performance, you can also put in a Quaife differential in the tip.

Good luck on the search.

Best
Andrew
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the input! I'm not so much looking for a Tip 964 as I'm looking for a reliable daily driver Porsche. Having had all the engine work (and yes, with the Tip), this one would have fit the bill perfectly, even if a little costly. But, as we all know, you pay now or you pay later!

Originally Posted by PNine64
Hey Doug...you gonna get a PPI?
Ironically, this is the shop that did the post purchase inspection on my C4 (and found $12k worth of work to do!). Looks like they fixed a lot on this car as well. Shame...could be a really good car for somebody with money or buyer's patience!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

And just to complete the picture....the car in question fell $10k short of the asking price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...orcev4exp=true

Anybody surprised?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
mozsan
Advanced

Doug..$14 k is exactly what I paid in May for my '91 Tip 136,000 miles, few minor leaks, body 7.5/10, interior 8/10 no modif ( except 17" twists).

Quick Reply: 964 Tip Owners - Tell Me About Your Experiences