Sponsored by:

Tin worm removal !

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tin worm removal !

Well since the new Dremel arrived today I thought I would test it on the bubbles at the corner of the windscreen, seemed like a good idea at the time

So managed to get through the body filler, found the little pin hole didnt look to bad, then gave it a prod with a screwdriver.

now none of this is a shock and pretty sure the other side will be the same so onwards to remove the wings and see what lurks inderneath, the dark nights are here heater is primed the mancave will be busy this winter
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Ugh, scary stuff. I have a bubble on mine and need to get it fixed. Did you have any drama w/ the windshield removal?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Good stuff get in there & get it gone!! best of luck with it Gaz...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Cheers Mark for the encouragment, not taken the windscreen out yet whats the best way to tackle this as per the manual cut the seal away ?

not made a serious start yet Vandit but will post pictures as I go
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Diving in head first

Do you plan on welding in the patch panels or leaving that repair for a shop?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes!

Good on you for getting stuck in, whats next, wings off and screen out to see the true extend of the tin worm?

You might need something with a bit more grunt than a dremel or you'll be there a while, a cheapy angle grinder and a composite wheel work nicely without being too agressive.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GazC2
Cheers Mark for the encouragment, not taken the windscreen out yet whats the best way to tackle this as per the manual cut the seal away ?

not made a serious start yet Vandit but will post pictures as I go
You have pm.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

That`s the plan Alex not in any hurry, angle grinder is primed and ready to go dremel is handy for the small fiddly bits. as far as doing the welding last time I done any welding was as an apprentice and the instructor tested it with a bfh there tricky those butt welds so no will leave it to the experts.

cheers for the PM Mark I am going to leave it in as long as poss and strip the rest of the car to keep the crap out but will give you a buzz when its time to pull it still have memories from my black 3.2 when my Porsche mechanic mate said just give it a tap with the palm of your hand (this was putting back in after respray) didnt hit the second windscreen quite as hard !
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Many think white metal is good-to-go for painting. If you are using a grinder, be aware that grinding puts strain energy into the metal grains, and it is energy that drives future corrosion - even under paint. Use an etchant on the bare metal, or use a self-etching primer, and you will have better long-term results.

My experience? I kept a 1970 911T rust free for 26 years.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

After seeing yours I thought that I would make a start on the rust bubble on mine as it seemed to go from tiny to 50p size in 6 months this summer so winters here in the uk so get cracking I think....

Rust&filler

Always wanted a Baja bug!!

She's in good hands as its going to get cut out as much as it needs as my mate Steve has done this many times and loves a rust bucket like mine to keep him occupied...

She's the young one in the line....

If you want his number Gaz he's in Buckinghamshire not to far from Heathrow if you don't mind the traveling...
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

We will have all the uk964`s restored if we keep going at this rate I also have a bubble in that postion at the strut on one side if you could PM me his number Mark that will be sound nice stable of motors your beside there.I have been talking to Rob at www.racingrestorations.com in regards the metalwork not worried how far the car has to go to get fixed just looking to get it done right so keeping the options open at the moment.

springer looking in to maybe soda blasting the body.

I now have a vision of 964 boys out staring at their bubbles
Old 10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by fuch
After seeing yours I thought that I would make a start on the rust bubble on mine as it seemed to go from tiny to 50p size in 6 months this summer so winters here in the uk so get cracking I think....

Rust&filler

Always wanted a Baja bug!!

She's in good hands as its going to get cut out as much as it needs as my mate Steve has done this many times and loves a rust bucket like mine to keep him occupied...

She's the young one in the line....

If you want his number Gaz he's in Buckinghamshire not to far from Heathrow if you don't mind the traveling...

The White ones the nuts!! 70's car ????
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Will send you pm...

www.racingrestorations.com they look like they know there stuff to & I like the way they state that its only metal work not paint as well as it means that there probably so biz doing there stuff that paint is the last thing on there mind...same as Steve just metal work & you get your own paint done.....then you can only blame yourself if you pick a crap painter
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
chfs911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if the guys on the TV programme Classic Restorations can fit you in? They have a fast turn around and the filler sorts out all the obvious problems.

:O)
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Not sure your being entirely helpfull Mr S and if I dont get mine finished for the spring I will need to borrow one of yours for the summer. ( and just to remind you if it wasn`t for you pestering me to go and have a look at it it probably wouldnt be sitting in my garage !)

After todays session not sure the car hasn`t been through those muppets on the telly given the fill and bodge on the rear quarter.

Had a poke at the drivers side windscreen not quite as bad as the other but again will need to be cut out

Now believe it or not I am actually plesently surprised that the rear quarter is not quite as bad as suspected bottom edge profile has had more filler than Jordan on a night out however the sill is going to have to have a chunk cut out
Attached Images      

Last edited by GazC2; 10-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Tin worm removal !