Sponsored by:

Rear wiper delete look

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
ThomasSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wiper delete look

I decided to do away with my ugly rear wiper and I think it looks much better! Here is a picture for those wondering about the "after" look.

I followed the instructions here http://p-car.com/diy/rearwiper/ and got the plug from Promax. It's designed for thicker glass so I just sanded down the thread a few millimeters.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice! And lighter!

Marc
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big improvement
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

This is yet another simple and effective 964 mod, a few pounds removed from high up in the tail, less air resistance, cleaner look. Some rain X would help too.

Can you give me some more info on the bung, a link? Is it specific for this purpose? I just have a generic rubber blank, but it leaks in just a little..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
This is yet another simple and effective 964 mod, a few pounds removed from high up in the tail, less air resistance, cleaner look. Some rain X would help too.

Can you give me some more info on the bung, a link? Is it specific for this purpose? I just have a generic rubber blank, but it leaks in just a little..
http://www.promaxmotorsport.co.uk/pr...lete-bung.aspx

Dont worry that it says doesnt fit 964, it does

The thread is a couple of mm too long for our cars so it doest tighten up fully, so you sand the extra mm off like the OP or just stick a rubber washer on the inside to space it out as I did
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

rear wiper is no doubt unattractive...

that looks great...

where does one get these kits?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by freedman

The thread is a couple of mm too long for our cars so it doest tighten up fully, so you sand the extra mm off like the OP or just stick a rubber washer on the inside to space it out as I did
nevermind...saw this above my question. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Oracle
Pro

I disagree, In my opinion it doesn't look good, especially that shiny plug, maybe if you replace the deck lid with a clean finish (no U shape for the arm mechanism).
I think removing the arm worked on the SC body where the arm came out from the deck lid, that made sense and there was a factory plug.

Anyway your car and is the way you like it which is what matters..

Cheers!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Did the same too - much neater without the arm (and motor weight). My 'delete plug' was from Pro Sport and also needed a few mm of thread filing to make perfect.

Interesting that apparently the UK 964 market nearly had all rear wipers as standard whereas the Italian market it was a little used option (that's Italians for you - knowing how to look good!)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

It's funny.
I could not live without a rear wiper (and defrost) nowadays. The rear glass is snowed in, frozen every morning then gets covered with snow/rain/etc.

so, if anyone of you all taking them off would puuuhhh-leeeeze sell me their rear wiper arm, I'd be over the moon.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I can't tell from the pic but did you also remove the motor as per the pcar.com DIY, or did you only remove the arm?

TIA
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
ThomasSF
Advanced

Originally Posted by David in LA
I can't tell from the pic but did you also remove the motor as per the pcar.com DIY, or did you only remove the arm?

TIA
I removed everything, arm, motor and bracket.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
It's funny.
I could not live without a rear wiper (and defrost) nowadays. The rear glass is snowed in, frozen every morning then gets covered with snow/rain/etc.

so, if anyone of you all taking them off would puuuhhh-leeeeze sell me their rear wiper arm, I'd be over the moon.
I will sell you mine, the whole kit and kaboddle, arm, blade, motor, nuts and bolts for $150.00, but shipping from Canada may be a killer. Let me know.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman

Mine has just arrived from Promax. Crikey, there's not much to it for nearly 20 quid. I think they've been taking pricing lessons from Porsche!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

The previous owner had the rear wiper removed from my 928. I asked him if he could find the blade arm for me when I bought it and he said he was quite sure he couldn't because he threw it away

I think it does look cleaner without the blade on the back. In the 928, the motor is on the body, not the hatch so the motor is still there. Has anyone else removed the rear blade and, if you did, have you added an electrical accessory that is energized with the rear wiper power switch on the console? Seems like that would be a great circuit for undercarriage lighting.

Quick Reply: Rear wiper delete look