Sponsored by:

Issue with MOMO steering wheel hub not being aligned

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 AM
ThomasSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with MOMO steering wheel hub not being aligned

This weekend I removed my stock steering wheel and installed a MOMO hub #7004 as well as an OMP steering wheel I just got. It really improves the way the car feels and it looks really great! However the steering wheel is not perfectly aligned with the wheels in the sense that when I hold it straight the car slightly steers to the left or to the right. I was careful to align it with the original top dead center position but it didn't help. When I try to mount it to the next position / groove, it is still slightly off. It is as if the correct position was in between two grooves.

Does anyone know why this might be? Is the hub faulty or is it something I can adjust? Anybody ever had a similar issue?

Thanks for any help!

I followed the instructions at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...made-easy.html
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Thomas,

I had the same thing. Have the tracking checked as that should fix it.

Andy
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM
OzCarrera3
Intermediate

Do you indicators still self-cancel? If not, make sure the lug on the back of the wheel is correctly located. On Right-hand drive cars it needs to be on the left-hand side, but assume this should be the same for you guys (indicators are on the wrong side for us).

My Momo was slightly out as you have said and changing the hub around fixed both problems (centering and self-cancelling).
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 183 Posts

Sounds like the toe needs to be set. Have it aligned Could be a hub issue, but doubtful
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by OzCarrera3
Do you indicators still self-cancel? If not, make sure the lug on the back of the wheel is correctly located. On Right-hand drive cars it needs to be on the left-hand side, but assume this should be the same for you guys (indicators are on the wrong side for us).

My Momo was slightly out as you have said and changing the hub around fixed both problems (centering and self-cancelling).
That is interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Also love my alacantra wheel - agreed re feel/control gains

Originally Posted by TYPE911
Sounds like the toe needs to be set. Have it aligned Could be a hub issue, but doubtful
+1 ... See my 'pulled the trigger' thread re my aligment problem/fix
.. for next time you shd mark the wheel and thread before removing your wheel
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
ThomasSF
Advanced

Surprisingly enough, this fixed the issue. Thanks a lot!

My alignment was done recently, and I did not have that issue with the stock wheel. I double checked the automatic turn signal disengagement and sure enough it wasn't right. (It did not take as much travel to engage/disengage the left side vs the right side signal.)

When the wheels are straight, you need to make sure the lug on the back of the hub is directed to the left, at the 9 o'clock position. I had to switch the steering wheel by one screw position to adjust for that change. Now one of the hub grooves matches up exactly with the top dead center position that I had marked in the first place.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
OzCarrera3
Intermediate

Glad to hear it worked out Thomas.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
OzCarrera3
Intermediate

PS. I wonder how many of the "Toe adjustment" shops did this 5 min hub fix but still charged for the for the alignment adjustment??
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

PS. I wonder how many of the "Toe adjustment" shops did this 5 min hub fix but still charged for the for the alignment adjustment??
Glad your solution was the right one .. But per my aligment which was posted
The issue can be related to that too. Ps - alignment check on front toe is 15 min max
and shd be free where you buy your tires
Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Les Dawes
Advanced

I believe the correct way of setting the front wheel tracking (in conjunction with a correct 4-wheel alignment procedure), and hence the correct position of the steering column shaft, is to screw the "special tool" metric fine threaded screw into the steering rack housing threaded boss (after first removing the plastic plug), the tapered end of the bolt then settles into a recess in the actual internal rack and gives the correct "centre" of the steering. The front wheels are then adjusted to give the correct equalised toe either side. This results in the steering wheel being correctly "centred", and an equal track rod length either side. Some "tracking" operatives just centre the wheel in it's current position, and then set the toe from that position.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
sc
Racer

Originally Posted by Les Dawes
I believe the correct way of setting the front wheel tracking (in conjunction with a correct 4-wheel alignment procedure), and hence the correct position of the steering column shaft, is to screw the "special tool" metric fine threaded screw into the steering rack housing threaded boss (after first removing the plastic plug), the tapered end of the bolt then settles into a recess in the actual internal rack and gives the correct "centre" of the steering. The front wheels are then adjusted to give the correct equalised toe either side. This results in the steering wheel being correctly "centred", and an equal track rod length either side. Some "tracking" operatives just centre the wheel in it's current position, and then set the toe from that position.

Interesting. What would make the bolt not be in the recess of the internal rack in the first place? Could the bolt get loose over time?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Hi SF, the special bolt is only installed temporarily, to lock the rack into it's centralised position, the front wheel alignment carried out, then the bolt is removed (and put back in your toolbox) the plastic plug replaced and off you go.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
sc
Racer

Originally Posted by Les Dawes
Hi SF, the special bolt is only installed temporarily, to lock the rack into it's centralised position, the front wheel alignment carried out, then the bolt is removed (and put back in your toolbox) the plastic plug replaced and off you go.

Got it! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Issue with MOMO steering wheel hub not being aligned