Sponsored by:

London 964 Spa Franchorchamps Weekend 2014 - The 3rd Installment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Either I have overlooked a popular thread, or you haven't posted up a "recomissioning of the Hornet" thread with lots of pictures.

Please either point me in the right direction or take corrective action
You didn't miss the thread. Unfortunately there weren't many pics taken during the rebuild so a thread would have been very boring I'm sorry to say.

The Hornet will be back in 2015 for another run at Spa and other tracks. In the meantime it's having a gap year enjoying watching others.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James' spoiler was up and down like a fiddler's elbow in that clip?

Lucky one Mike, but a good place to do it with plenty of room.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jotaking
Great Vid Mike,

The spin really emphasises the pendulum effect!!

Once that butt goes there is no return!!!

That is why I went C4!!

Just glad you came through unscathed.

Thanks for posting.
Jo,

Mikes car is a C4
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grant nice to see ya back on the forum

Mike I did the same thing but without the spinning bit, the car got unsettled but by putting the power back on fast and having a light grip on the steering wheel pulled pulled the car straight

Great save buddy !
Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
You didn't miss the thread. Unfortunately there weren't many pics taken during the rebuild so a thread would have been very boring I'm sorry to say.

The Hornet will be back in 2015 for another run at Spa and other tracks. In the meantime it's having a gap year enjoying watching others.
Well, anything then....show us the finished result, you know what it's like here, [thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics]

Originally Posted by Zingari
James' spoiler was up and down like a fiddler's elbow in that clip?
Hadn't spotted that, maybe it's because I was going too slow?

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Jo,

Mikes car is a C4
It's relentless
Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hadn't spotted that, maybe it's because I was going too slow?
Good spot by Brian. Seems to happen when going over bumps at the chicane and at La Source exit. Definitely nothing to do with going slow - you'd have to be down to 5 mph for that to be the cause.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Good spot by Brian. Seems to happen when going over bumps at the chicane and at La Source exit. Definitely nothing to do with going slow - you'd have to be down to 5 mph for that to be the cause.
We swapped out my original one with 9e Ken's because the controller unit failed to work after the work carried out when I bought the car, so I just assumed it would be fully functional. Can't say I spend much time looking for it in my mirror! Must get it looked into.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a couple of shots from the BAT photographer... I love the shoot from above
Attached Images     
Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Morning chaps! Johnny Tipler sent over the proof of his article for 911 & Porsche World. He's done us proud as you would expect; written with an easy charm. It is going to press now and will be in the next month's publication.

Seven pages with lots of pictures
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM
orp73
Racer

Morning chaps! Johnny Tipler sent over the proof of his article for 911 & Porsche World. He's done us proud as you would expect; written with an easy charm. It is going to press now and will be in the next month's publication.

Seven pages with lots of pictures
I must look out for it
Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey MusicMadMike I saw you out and about first thing this morning, your car is still looking top

I was in a white Alpina getting a lift to pickup Doczilla from the menders.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mr Tipler has done us proud with a 7 page spread in 911 and Porsche World

Great article and pics from the Saturday

I got my copy in post yesterday
Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Lucky escape!

Going through eau rouge on a trailing throttle is just asking for trouble, in fact that applies to most corners in a 911. Get on the gas (even just a bit) as soon as you have finished the braking (and even before turn in) to get the weight back over the fat tyres then you just adjust stuff with the right pedal instead of the wheel during the turn.
I am a complete track day novice so apologies for the question but is this correct (the point about "most corners", not Eau Rouge / Raidillion)? When I was at Spa last year I was suffering a lot of understeer taking the "usual" line at Rivage. An instructor had me turning in to the corner much earlier under heavy trail-breaking instead, with the rear of the car very light and on the point of breaking away. This made a huge difference to front-end grip and my overall speed round the corner. I was amazed how hard I could break while taking the corner without losing the rear of the car.

It was a bit scary when I over-cooked it on one lap and had to do a lot of arm-twiddling to catch the resulting over-steer, which much have terrified the Radical that chose that moment to overtake me!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyB
I am a complete track day novice so apologies for the question but is this correct (the point about "most corners", not Eau Rouge / Raidillion)? When I was at Spa last year I was suffering a lot of understeer taking the "usual" line at Rivage. An instructor had me turning in to the corner much earlier under heavy trail-breaking instead, with the rear of the car very light and on the point of breaking away. This made a huge difference to front-end grip and my overall speed round the corner. I was amazed how hard I could break while taking the corner without losing the rear of the car.

It was a bit scary when I over-cooked it on one lap and had to do a lot of arm-twiddling to catch the resulting over-steer, which much have terrified the Radical that chose that moment to overtake me!
In a corner you want to be either on the brakes or on the throttle in a 911. Your instructor was showing you how to use the brakes to help turn the car which is a common technique for a 911. Jevvy was highlighting that being on neither one or the other leads to the car becoming unstable in the corner.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Boxsey / Jevvy - that makes sense.

Quick Reply: London 964 Spa Franchorchamps Weekend 2014 - The 3rd Installment