Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
And the direct products-page for the 964 options:

Engine Mounts - 964
If you could deliver me a pair of C4 mounts for $200 I'd be in like a shot
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New motor mounts arrive from Pelican. Disappointed in not getting Jelly Beans as I have read about.

I have a stupid question I am not too scared to ask. I have the under cladding, on being a larger than average man I will need to jack up car just to reach the fasteners that hold it on. I assume I must remove it to put on mounts. I can't block it and still lift motor for mount replacements. The motor mount DIY threads don't say to remove it, but I am assuming I should to jack motor.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes should remove under tray to make sure jack is seated correctly on motor and not somewhere it is going to cause damage
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RayB_911
New motor mounts arrive from Pelican. Disappointed in not getting Jelly Beans as I have read about.

I have a stupid question I am not too scared to ask. I have the under cladding, on being a larger than average man I will need to jack up car just to reach the fasteners that hold it on. I assume I must remove it to put on mounts. I can't block it and still lift motor for mount replacements. The motor mount DIY threads don't say to remove it, but I am assuming I should to jack motor.
Yes, remove the undertray to expose your jack point as described in the DIY. Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

And about those beans, happy to send you some They are included with all first-time orders.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Thanks.

First order from Pelican and was happy to see my mounts and on time. Can't to install and feel the difference.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I took closer look under car tonight and realized there is nothing between the under tray and motor but air. So I can see it would be bad idea and I took a look at my workshop manual as well. I should look more before I ask dumb questions.

Didn't start the project yet. Being forced to take the trays off gives good opportunity to look at bottom of engine for first time.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took closer look under car tonight and realized there is nothing between the under tray and motor but air. So I can see it would be bad idea and I took a look at my workshop manual as well. I should look more before I ask dumb questions.
You definitely did not ask a dumb question. The great thing about Rennlist is that you can ask any question. People won't think it's dumb. It's only dumb if we don't ask something and end up with a disaster because we were too afraid to ask.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You definitely did not ask a dumb question. The great thing about Rennlist is that you can ask any question. People won't think it's dumb. It's only dumb if we don't ask something and end up with a disaster because we were too afraid to ask.
+964 That's why I love this place!

I've had my car for over 6 years and I'm still confused my many of it's systems. I'm not gifted at this kind of work, but it's so enjoyable that I can't stop my desire to learn more every day at the University of Rennlist, Department of Air Cooled, 964 Program.

Ray,
If you don't mind, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the car sounds and runs without the tray. Yes it's long been controversial as to whether it holds in heat and therefore should be removed or not. I definitely don't want to continue that argument here... I'm interested to know if there is a noticeable difference in volume level?

The engine cover had already been removed from my car when I bought so I have no idea as to how much quieter it would be without a tray...a fresh perspective would be nice. Plus, how much does that thing weigh?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+964 That's why I love this place!

I've had my car for over 6 years and I'm still confused my many of it's systems. I'm not gifted at this kind of work, but it's so enjoyable that I can't stop my desire to learn more every day at the University of Rennlist, Department of Air Cooled, 964 Program.

Ray,
If you don't mind, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the car sounds and runs without the tray. Yes it's long been controversial as to whether it holds in heat and therefore should be removed or not. I definitely don't want to continue that argument here... I'm interested to know if there is a noticeable difference in volume level?

The engine cover had already been removed from my car when I bought so I have no idea as to how much quieter it would be without a tray...a fresh perspective would be nice. Plus, how much does that thing weigh?
I like data, so what I can do is use my dB meter to take a couple samples in/out of car to see what is is without and with cover. NP.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

i know the 993 engine mounts are cheaper than the 964 ones.

are they firmer as well?

I am trying to decide on whether to replace the ones I just took out with 993 engine mounts or WEVO blacks.

also, do you need to reinforce the engine carrier for either the 993 or WEVO blacks engine mounts?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by swesna
i know the 993 engine mounts are cheaper than the 964 ones.

are they firmer as well?

I am trying to decide on whether to replace the ones I just took out with 993 engine mounts or WEVO blacks.

also, do you need to reinforce the engine carrier for either the 993 or WEVO blacks engine mounts?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
After challenges with install(snapped bolt) I am very pleased with the 993 mounts I got from Pelican. Inexpensive and improved handling and shifting. Pics of installed below.

Mine were so bad that I could rotate the rubber. Now the motor is about an inch higher. You can see the difference in tailpipe.

Also, I could see where the brace was rubbing below. Good indicator of how low everything sat. I am happy with the mounts and may consider Wevo in future after I have some time to get to know how the should have behaved.

Thanks for all who helped me including the support I got yesterday after snapping the bolt while wrenching.

I need to get better pics sorry.
Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

As promised I took dB samples.

Without rear under tray. In garage, door open.
4' behind car, deck lid open: 76.5
4' behind car deck lid closed: 70.1
Drivers seat, top down: 56.6

With rear under tray.
4' behind car, deck lid open: 72.5
4' behind car deck lid closed: 68.0
Drivers seat, top down: 56.2

Last edited by RayB_911; 05-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

WOW! The new mounts make a huge difference. I was not on board at first that it could make such a difference, but Wow, I'm a believer.. My shifting into first has improved but I didn't realize the difference i would have in shifting from first to second. It's like all new feel.

Last edited by RayB_911; 05-13-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 AM
ThomasSF
Advanced

WOW! The new mounts make a huge difference. I was not on board at first that it could make such a difference, but Wow, I'm a believer.. My shifting into first has improved but I didn't realize the difference i would have in shifting from first to second. It's like all new feel.
Why and when does replacing engine mounts make a difference in shifting?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

The best I can explain as a newbie...

This is the only Porsche I have driven. I did notice on my first test drive that going into first was challenge. PO thought it was his new clutch. It had only about 1000 miles on it. It was installed by local Prosche dealer. $$$

After I purchased it, I noticed I could not shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd. Also that getting into frist while deccelerating was getting difficult enough that my right arm was notidable sore. Was driving it a little harder than first test drive, could that be it.

I am an agressive driver and I drive machines hard as they are designed. I had decided that my shifting from 1st to 2nd was my driving skills since I haven't been driving stick every day anymore. It felt like I was letting out the clutch in two stages. I kept thinking "I have driven stick since I learned on a 1958 Ford pickup when I was 9 years old, BUT I must be better than this??".

Now it is smooth as silk. Well, sporty silk. What I thought was driver error was the motor moving around while I shifted and accelerated. I didn't understand how all the experience drivers commenting in threads could feel the motor that way. NOW I know. What I was feeling was not normal. Now it is such a pleasure to drive and I expect my arm to not get sore anymore.

hope this helps a little from a new driver.

Quick Reply: Engine mounts?