Sponsored by:

Engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine mounts?

Iam lookin at replacing engine mounts on my c-2, ive read loads but cant decide.
Iam after the best value mounts!
Oe standard are way to expensive.
Rs are around £310 all in with bolts ect.
Rennline solids are £250.
Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

RS mounts are a big improvement over OE's.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for RS...if only on the basis that they look great in the engine bay
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You do not want the Rennline solid unless the car is a dedicate race car.

Wevo are popular and less expensive than the RS units, but I'm not sure if they're available over there.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 993 mounts. I had Wevo's on the car, but they seemed to make the engine noises louder. Vibration wasn't bad, but the noise bothered me. Long story. So I switched to the 993 mounts. They work just fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, my Wevo blues definitely introduce more engine rumble into the cabin. I like it.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Wevo's are the way to go. Call Hayden there at Wevo and he'll ship them over to you. Get both blue and blaclk pillows and try them out. Blue will give you a firmer ride. I use the blacks and they are fine. Great improvement in shifting and general acceleration over the stock units, that in my case, were shot and left the car feeling bland. Wevo's are a good price point over RS units, and work just as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Racer

Default RS or Wevo...

You should also reinforce the carrier. Rennline offers the gusset or a completed mount as an exchange.
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=808
Hard mounts = more stress on the carrier. If it cracks under load, the engine drops. Not good.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Racer

One of the most impressive and enduring qualities of the 911 is the way it seems to be hewn from a single block of metal. Torsionally very stiff and incredibly stable on the road and track. The liquid filled mounts were designed to isolate the passenger compartment from "objectionable" noise and vibration. I guess this was a design requirement for the 964 as Porsche moved up market in the 90's. But the compliance in the soft mounts allow the mass of the engine to move around...this is called a secondary mass. When the car is thrown into a corner, the tires and suspension plant the mass of the vehicle. Then when that secondary mass shifts to the extreme of its mounts you have the pendulum effect. When that happens suddenly the rear of the car seems to shift toward the outside of the turn. This shift of the secondary mass can upset the handling of the car quite a lot. RS or other hard mounts control this effect by stabilizing the secondary mass; with hard mounts the car will feel much more firmly planted, handling will improve a huge amount.
I've not used the Wevo mounts so I can't comment on them being equal or better than the RS mount. But Porsche did design the RS mount so I went with them. In most cases changing factory designed parts (which millions were spent designing) for an aftermarket part doesn't greatly improve the vehicle. Besides, the Porsche part just "fits."
With regards to the carrier reinforcement...unless I am mistaken, reinforcing the carrier was something Porsche did to their own RS vehicles. Not too expensive to do and piece of mind.
IMHO, for what it's worth.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Just installed the 993 mounts.....
Half the price of 964 mounts or other "race" mounts. They work perfect ! No extra noise or vibration and no reinforcement needed.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

i vote wevo
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I have to ask a dumb question, sorry.

I have read a number of threads that include comments about replacing or choosing motor mounts. I know what they are for, but I don't understand why you want to upgrade or change them. If they are damaged or worn out. Sure.

Do they really change the car in terms of handling and ride? If you are new to the car will you be able to say, yes this has Wevos or needs Wevos?

Since this was a thread asking for input on motor mounts I am hoping it is safe to ask, why motor mounts??
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RayB_911
I have to ask a dumb question, sorry.

I have read a number of threads that include comments about replacing or choosing motor mounts. I know what they are for, but I don't understand why you want to upgrade or change them. If they are damaged or worn out. Sure.

Do they really change the car in terms of handling and ride? If you are new to the car will you be able to say, yes this has Wevos or needs Wevos?

Since this was a thread asking for input on motor mounts I am hoping it is safe to ask, why motor mounts??
For a street car its typically only something you upgrade when they're worn out anyway...which is any 964 by now if they haven't been replaced. For track cars it is a bigger deal because that is an awfully large mass that you don't want moving around any more than necessary.

As far as upgrading at replacement time, half the reason for it (to me, anyway) on a street car is that the WEVOs are 1/2 the price (or less) of the OEM hydraulic mounts. $600+ vs $300. And yeah I think the difference between WEVOs and stock mounts is noticeable, and not necessarily in a 100% good way for a street car IMO. To my mind the rubber RS mounts are a better way to go for a street car than the semi solid WEVOs and at only $30 more a pop. Any way you go is better than worn out stockers though, considering the shifting and axle hop problems that come along with worn out mounts. JMO.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the stock motor mounts are sorta a squishy bridge of material between the engine and chassis...in fact the stock mounts are a little like a shock absorber and inside the mounts is this goo. This is to insulate you from the vibes of the motor.

However, this compliance allows the motor to shift from side to side, and front to back with G-forces. This gives the handling a slightly less direct feel, and it can make the gearshift less smooth (because the movement of the motor is counteracting what you're doing with the stick). So when Porsche released the RS, it didn't have the hydraulic mounts, but instead had something like a rubber hockey puck. And...in the later GT3s, they had dynamic engine mounts that were soft when you were cruising, but locked solid for sporty driving.

To be honest, it's not a game changer for your handling, although it does make the car seem to "settle" more precisely in a turn, and the gearshift will be a little smoother under hard driving. And on the other hand, the RS or Wevo mounts don't transform your car into this rattling race car either...in fact the impact bumper 911s did just fine with the hockey-puck style mounts as stock. You will notice a little more buzzing/whining from the motor and trans tho.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I appreciate the explanations. I am still learning. Haven't had my car for a year yet and only have about 1k miles on it. So I have lots to learn and hopefully more experience with her this summer.

Quick Reply: Engine mounts?