Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Connect the Cigarette Lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Jlewis973
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Connect the Cigarette Lighter?

A while back I had a battery drain on my 1991 C4, I had everything that wasn't essential disconnected from the battery. It turned out that it was the stereo amplifier that was the problem, and now I want to reconnect the cigarette lighter so that I can have a source of electricity (mainly so that i can inflate the spare tire in case of a flat). As you probably know the spare is stored without air in it and there is an electric air compressor included in the car that is supposed to plug into the cigarette lighter and inflate the tire. With this in mind I need to get this back up and running. What is the proper procedure to reaching and re-connecting it to the battery.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tough job for me anyway....

I pulled my stereo out and only found marginally improved access. i also took my glove box out and then had to try to get the glove box light and switch assembly reinstalled which is also a bear. Long skinny fingers. You can get the lighter socket to come out through the hole by unscrewing the back off and letting it fall out and then slightly re-spring the tabs that hold it in when you push it back into its hole. It is a shame, but my wires would not pull out far enough to pre-connect it to the housing. I had to squeeze my hand in the back and hold the wires while pushing the socket back into its hole. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I bought a spare 12v socket from Maplins (Radio Shack) and wired this under the dash (tucked out the way) picking up a live feed allowing two important features to run at the same time - the beer cooler and speed camera detector for my annual pilgrimage to LeMans!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
I pulled my stereo out and only found marginally improved access. i also took my glove box out and then had to try to get the glove box light and switch assembly reinstalled which is also a bear. Long skinny fingers. You can get the lighter socket to come out through the hole by unscrewing the back off and letting it fall out and then slightly re-spring the tabs that hold it in when you push it back into its hole. It is a shame, but my wires would not pull out far enough to pre-connect it to the housing. I had to squeeze my hand in the back and hold the wires while pushing the socket back into its hole. Good luck.
^^^
This is the way to do it. Here's a pic of the plug at the back once the glove box is off:

BTW many 964s need the ignition to be on for the cig lighter to work i.e. it might not be of use for charging via a trickle charger.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:28 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
BTW many 964s need the ignition to be on for the cig lighter to work i.e. it might not be of use for charging via a trickle charger.
Is this true? My wires are not connected to the back of the lighter, and I was looking to make the cig lighter functional so that I could charge the battery....

Thanks,
-B
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ROW?

Maybe it's a Rest-Of-World thing? Mine works when I leave the trickle charger on and the ignition switched off. I use the porsche trickle charger plugged into the lighter when I am gone for more than a week or so. Jack
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Is this true? My wires are not connected to the back of the lighter, and I was looking to make the cig lighter functional so that I could charge the battery....

Thanks,
-B
It's certainly true on mine (euro car) that it's powered by the ignition.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of cigarette lighters, I cannot plug anything into mine, my gps and tire inflator do not fully insert inside the housing. Everything looks like its fine, but nothing fits inside. Do I need an adaptor?

'89 C4 in America
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tyre pump connector should fit. As long as the voltage is delivered to the plugged-in device, it's fine.
If you can not have the original tyre pump plugged and working, there is probably someting shoved in the lighter's housing, or it might be damaged.

In the lighter itself, only cigarettes and cigars do fit. Tip of a finger as well, but it smells funny and it really hurts.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
It's certainly true on mine (euro car) that it's powered by the ignition.
I have a feeling this might only be true for RHD cars. Both of mine (LHD) did/do not need the ignition to be turned on for it to work, but I have heard of this before for other RHD cars.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Good thread, I was messing in this area last night. I was installing a dash cam on my car (Russian style!)

My cigarette lighter is always powered, even w/ the ignition turned off.

I also noticed the car's cigarette lighter is either too shallow or not tight enough to firmly hold most accessory plugs in place.

I actually broke the accessory plug on my dash cam trying to tighten up the fit, therefore, I am going to hardwire it into the my unused radio harness (constant power) w/ an in-line fuse.

When not in use, I'll disconnect the power cable at the camera in order to not drain the battery.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh, and to answer the original question, I was able to stick my hand through the opening for the radio and hold the connector while I lined up the cig lighter and reconnected it.

My car has a radio delete w/ factory delete plate, so I didn't have to remove the radio for access.

On a related note, how is the light on the cigarette lighter suppose to work? I see the bulb attached to the connector, and it lights up the plug, which is really only visible when the cigarette lighter is not in the plug. When the cigarette lighter is in the plug, I don't see any light shine through to the lighter at all (unlike the fog light and rear defroster switches).

Quick Reply: How Connect the Cigarette Lighter?