Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSA / track mods -- effect on value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSA / track mods -- effect on value?

I guess we all face this question at some point when we contemplate modifying our cars. I've always been an advocate of building what suits you, and I don't have any qualms with changing the car from the way Porsche intended it.

My questions are to the folks who have gone through an extensive series of mods that were track-related or 'RSA'-type mods: weight removal, racing seats & harnesses, cages, etc.

-Did you find that these changes killed the value of the car when it was time to eventually sell?

-Did having the original parts safely in storage ease any buyer concerns?

-Were any of your mods irreversible?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

The key is you just have to figure our what YOU want, its your car...

With that said if someone is projecting out into the future for long term value 100% stock will always bring the highest $$. So the easy solution to that is any modification that car be reversed without leaving a trace is just fine. Items such as wheels, steering wheel, shift ****, exhaust, software, seats etc. that are easy bolt on/off are no brainers. Modify to your taste, just SAVE everything!

Some modifications are reversible but time consuming so you have to analyze ROI on returning to stock, items such as Brake upgrades, suspension, LWF, etc.

If (and only) if you are concerned about long term value changes that can't be reversed should be avoided. These include body modifications, cage installs where items have to be cut, etc.

On my RSA I think about long term value but I focus more on my enjoyment of the car so I have done the easily reversible upgrades and kept all the stock parts safely tucked away in boxes in my attic. If (hopefully never) the day comes to sell it will be 100% stock when I list it...
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had an RSA or something that might be collectable down the road, I would have avoided the irreversible modifications. As it is now, I can't see my C4 ending up in some museum so I have done lots of irreversible stuff to make the car how I want and for I what I want it for (95% track).

In the future, if I decide to sell (for more than $21k - sorry Stephane ), I'll just have to price it fairly and hope someone comes along who wants to use it for the same thing and sees the value of the modifications I've done.

Until then, I'll just enjoy it.

Marc
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I try to stay in line with using factory parts whenever possible. Cup parts, Clubsport etc.

Bolt-on stuff for track can generally be removed and returned back to stock. Thus no big deal.

Welding or Irreverseable modifications that are track oriented will have a limited market for resale thus resale value is affected.
Make sure that if you do irreverseable modifications that they are at least performed by a known shop and to a spec that others can use in the porsche world. (PCA club racing etc.)
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi ,
I personnaly mod the car prioritizing 2 things
A) performance & feeling b ) period look , I love the car but don't give a dam about the Porsche bla bla bla ....I m not a purist at all, I recon the rest is all in our heads.....
To me bottom line is if it make sens and it looks good it will ad value ....

Quick Reply: RSA / track mods -- effect on value?