Sponsored by:

Friendly warning - RE: Alternator & its bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Kai,

Safe trip out to Texas buddy....and kick some GT3S ***....as far as the beer goes, that's what beer bongs are for
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default chappel bells in my car ha

Hey Joey nice vid of the fan my car was makeing that noise and I thought it was a loose ex pipe tightend it up and drove the car a bit no sound then over to the house and ding ding ding I though wtf is that got out lifted the hood put a eye on the shroud and upside down smile put hand on the fan moved just like yours. Out it came going back in tomm. Painted looking good. From what I gather one fourth inch on belt tension ???? I am with Kai get all this before it happens this one snuck up on me ..
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you liked.
Originally Posted by RW964
From what I gather one fourth inch on belt tension ????
I just put everything back together the way it came out, i.e. same order for pulley halves and spacers.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could always swap the belt like this

Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Pulled the alternator and sure enough, there is the tinyest play in the shaft."

That's normal, i.e. all bearings have some 'play'. Most likely it's not the
alternator bearings but the fan bearing which has a higher failure rate.
The other possibility is that the alternator shaft has been damaged
because of an over-tightened alternator belt/belts.
How much 'play' should the shaft have? I am replacing my belts and notice that the shaft has some play in it.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can notice it now, it will only get worse IMO.

I'd pull and rebuild the alternator, but that's me.

Out is no problem, in is another story unless you get VERY lucky with the GD grommet which protects/seals the wire's entry into the back can. I won't do this alone again, as a guy with two strong fingers applying pressure on this could be a huge help.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kai, that was the direction I was headed. After reading some of the horror posts of fans exploding, it seems worth the cost to rebuild the alternator now versus trying to get a few more miles out of the current one.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

lol, yea, that f'n grommet is such a massive pain. It always falls off of the plastic sleeve that encompasses the alternator harness, and once it does that, it's impossible to put the cap back on the back of the alternator w/ the grommet in place. It is a total beat down to put back into place.

Mine actually tore when I last uninstalled it. I have superglued it back together but haven't put it back on. Fingers crossed it holds, otherwise, I don't know.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
KaiB
Banned

I was leaving for a race in the AM, thus HAD to get the alternator back in.

Suffered for an hour and a half on the grommet alone - and I have farmer hands. That damn thing was just 2mm short of where I needed it and I couldn't get it there,,,no clue how a got it back on, it just happened as it was getting dark.

One tip: If possible, pull the alternator cooling fan (from the rear) before undoing the wires and then install it once the wires are back on...far easier. I could actually get my 18V impact gun in there to get it off...back on, I couldn't, but got torque enough on it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fan and hub

So here are a few questions as I have not worked on my fan for a bit and I am having a hard time getting the fan all the way on the hub.
What is the best way to get the hub on the fan ? I have tried and the hub only goes on as far as the three pins coming flush with the top of the fan seems like the pins were sticking up about 1/4 of a inch above the face of the fan. I tapped the hub in but it will not go all the way on. When I pulled the fan off the alt shaft the hub came with it. Any help send a line thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RW964
So here are a few questions as I have not worked on my fan for a bit and I am having a hard time getting the fan all the way on the hub.
What is the best way to get the hub on the fan ? I have tried and the hub only goes on as far as the three pins coming flush with the top of the fan seems like the pins were sticking up about 1/4 of a inch above the face of the fan. I tapped the hub in but it will not go all the way on. When I pulled the fan off the alt shaft the hub came with it. Any help send a line thanks
I just did it 2days ago. I put the hub in the freezer and the fan in the oven(just painted it and cured it in the oven).

Opened the jaws on the vice wide enough for the hub to pass thru. Positioned the hub and tapped it on just enough to assure it was aligned. Put a rubber mallet on top then BEAT the daylights out of it with a hammer!

Finally, put the 3 bolts in and tightened each one in a circle pattern till they would not go any further.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
I was leaving for a race in the AM, thus HAD to get the alternator back in.

Suffered for an hour and a half on the grommet alone - and I have farmer hands. That damn thing was just 2mm short of where I needed it and I couldn't get it there,,,no clue how a got it back on, it just happened as it was getting dark.

One tip: If possible, pull the alternator cooling fan (from the rear) before undoing the wires and then install it once the wires are back on...far easier. I could actually get my 18V impact gun in there to get it off...back on, I couldn't, but got torque enough on it.
Does anyone have any pics of the issue that's being described?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the Hub............................................This is the Grommet......................................................This is the Cap
Attached Images    
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LouZ
This is the Hub............................................This is the Grommet......................................................This is the Cap
Thanks for the pics! To make sure I'm seeing understanding things correctly, is the grommet the part with the red arrow?
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
KaiB
Banned

It is Hal.

It's snug in there when all is aligned and in place. Of course, all won't be when it comes together and that makes it difficult to keep in place and then bolt the cap down. Having someone else there to force the wires/grommet into place with two fingers (while staying out of your way!) could be a huge help.

Quick Reply: Friendly warning - RE: Alternator & its bearings