Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera 4 Leichtbau - replica

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack, just get your car to look like this. You car is a nice original colour (that u plan to refresh), u have the CUP 1's. Just put a black carpet set and dash in when putting it back together and will look great.

http://www.germansportscars.net/GB/s...11-964-rs/329/

Plus u will have a chance of getting your money back if u need to sell.

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 964TOK
Jack, just get your car to look like this. You car is a nice original colour (that u plan to refresh), u have the CUP 1's. Just put a black carpet set and dash in when putting it back together and will look great.

http://www.germansportscars.net/GB/s...11-964-rs/329/

Plus u will have a chance of getting your money back if u need to sell.

just my 2 cents.
That might well be what I end up doing Derek.. But exploring the options. Don't forget also my car was a Cat D .. So not really that worried about resale. Just want something that works for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack, great idea,

Don't worry about adjustable diffs as you won't need them in London

Just concentrate on getting the look right and the weight way down
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

the 9" wide rims are available, they were fitted to some 944 Turbo and the 928 GT. I use them along with 7" fronts on Shrek. The Mg legend has been debunked already.
The manual diff locks are simply master cylinders replacing the hydraulic command of both diffs. Bigger issue I see is the difff computer taking offense at being disconnected and throwing a permanent alarm.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
Jack, great idea,

Don't worry about adjustable diffs as you won't need them in London

Just concentrate on getting the look right and the weight way down
+964
Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
. The Mg legend has been debunked already.
Has it?

Maxted Page arent the type of dealer to give out false info

http://www.maxted-page.com/resourcel...f75ccb7dc7.pdf
Old 12-11-2013, 01:42 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Eithere here or on Pelican. Everyone talks about them, yet no one has been able to show us a wheel up close, or a part number. A Mg wheel has to be slightly different, mostly in thickness to be useable at all. Different enough to be readily visible.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also till now have not seen a pic of a magnesium d90.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I have asked, on forums and privately, to several people who have been in contact with these cars to provide details and pictures of these wheels, in the last few years. Not one answer.
Every available picture of these rims shows a rim that is an exact duplicate of the series wheel, in thickness, details, everything.
More like unicorn sh*t or the yeti. A lot of talk, but zero proof.
Edit: See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ghtweight.html
A clip-on weight on a Mg rim? Even the factory is not that stupid...

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Eithere here or on Pelican. Everyone talks about them, yet no one has been able to show us a wheel up close, or a part number. A Mg wheel has to be slightly different, mostly in thickness to be useable at all. Different enough to be readily visible.
Really?

Do Carrera RS mags look any different to alloys?

Maybe if you get down and inspect them (and obvioulsy the part numbers) but to look at in pics or a walk aroound the car etc they look no different

I have no dea whether the factory used mag D90's or not, but its hardly unlikely on a run of just over 20 cars, when they used it on the producton RS

I have seen some C4 RSL's advertised as having alloys, and others as mag wheels, as per the Maxted Page car. Maybe both exist? I would have thought a company like they would check the provence and only advertise what they have in front of them, not what may or may not be

There are previou sthreads on here where people who have been in contact with some of them, have stated they have mag wheels as well
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Lemme expand:
The Cup 1 Mg wheels look a lot like the alloy versions. That is because the Cup 1 by design has no sharp angles, no edge lip, and a rather roundish design.

There are some rules learned the hard way with Mg rims for street use. They hate water, and salt with a passion. They will corrode at warp speed if the paint is compromised. For the same volume, dictated by design, a Mg rim is not as strong as an aluminum rim. Sharp angles wil act as stress risers.

Now the D90 rim is a nightmare to make in Mg. It has sharp angles, a thin design, and a lip to which the factory did put clip-on weight. And it is very light.

So to make a Mg rim with the exact same design is nonsense. The first moron that clips on a balancing weight is promoting the corrosion and failure of the rim, at its most exposed spot. Since most of these cars have no miles, it is reasonable to assume the weights were factory-fitted. Ergo.

Digression: the factory did make Mg Cup rims, for the 944 Turbo Cup, in 8&9X16 in the phone dial design. I had about 20 of these. While they look exactly like the alloy version *on pictures* they are in fact very different. Thicker everywhere, particularly in the lip area. They made sveral hundreds of them (over thousand?). They bend at the sight of a pothole.

I would love to see a direct photographic comparison of a std alloy and a Mg Cup 1 wheel off a '92 RS.

And I still challenge anyone to show me a Mg D90 rim. Seriously.

Maxted? Car salespeople. Enough said.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Putting D90s on it in order to make it a replica would be the deal breaker for me.
agree !

I understand your project as I aslo own a C4, at the end of the day if your strip it is for maximum performance your certainly don't want to put heavy wheels as this would also spoil the handling,
I would just go for some details, like the spoiler, oil flap, black headlight rims, total striped interior with race windows, you would already have a real challenge to make it weight 1080 kg
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
Really?

Do Carrera RS mags look any different to alloys?

Maybe if you get down and inspect them (and obvioulsy the part numbers) but to look at in pics or a walk aroound the car etc they look no different

I have no dea whether the factory used mag D90's or not, but its hardly unlikely on a run of just over 20 cars, when they used it on the producton RS

I have seen some C4 RSL's advertised as having alloys, and others as mag wheels, as per the Maxted Page car. Maybe both exist? I would have thought a company like they would check the provence and only advertise what they have in front of them, not what may or may not be

There are previou sthreads on here where people who have been in contact with some of them, have stated they have mag wheels as well
RS mag wheels are easy to spot. They have the word "magnesium" in raised writing on the rim and the "SM" logo. If it doesn't have those, then it aint an RS Mag ! (unless the wheel has been over-refurbed and the lettering ground off or covered up by powdercoating, in which case you probably wouldn't want the wheel anyway !)

Jamie
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Ragnar Joensen
Racer

And I still challenge anyone to show me a Mg D90 rim. Seriously.
I am also curious to see those wheels. I agree that just casting them in the same cast as the aluminum wheels, is hardly an option.

That being said, I came across these wheels on an early 964 C4 at the Porsche museum. Notice that they are not 944 Turbo S / 928 Club Sport wheels.

Weights are sticky-type, no clip-ons.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Ragnar, this is a very interesting wheel. Probably a prototype for the D90?

Quick Reply: Carrera 4 Leichtbau - replica