Sponsored by:

964 TT build - Need help with gearbox choice/ratios

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964TT
The guy working on my engine has a good 30yrs of experience, maybe more. Are you looking for something similar?
Similar, more like a 993 gt2 evo engine. But someone with knowledge in that district is hard to find. Because every one nowadays knows is better than everybody.
Everybody has a different opinion is what is best, and you are the one that is paying and you don't want anybody testing new things out on your engine without you knowing.

Another thing is, I see a lot op people installing a gt3 oil pump in there high horse powered air-cooled cars. But what is the main reason for this, and are the benefits really there. Are there some numbers that show this or would someone tell there story.
Because we are still driving with the original oil pump and doesn't seem to have a lot of problems, that does not meen that i think that is is useless to install a gt3 pump. Instead, I am very curious to know why, does this pump boost reliability etc.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:24 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for the reply!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 PM
964TT
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche993gtrsr
Similar, more like a 993 gt2 evo engine. But someone with knowledge in that district is hard to find. Because every one nowadays knows is better than everybody.
Everybody has a different opinion is what is best, and you are the one that is paying and you don't want anybody testing new things out on your engine without you knowing.

Another thing is, I see a lot op people installing a gt3 oil pump in there high horse powered air-cooled cars. But what is the main reason for this, and are the benefits really there. Are there some numbers that show this or would someone tell there story.
Because we are still driving with the original oil pump and doesn't seem to have a lot of problems, that does not meen that i think that is is useless to install a gt3 pump. Instead, I am very curious to know why, does this pump boost reliability etc.
I hear you. As you can read in this complete thread, I've been on quite an adventure with my car. I started with probably one of the more traditional, most experienced builders of the Porsche aftermarket turbos. TTP in Germany, which has been doing turbo technique since the 80's or early 90's under the name LOTEC.
Since that first transformation my own knowledge expanded and so did my wishes.

And this is the thing, if you want to go down the road of tuning you better be ready to dive into the rabbit hole. I knew that before hand. I had visited Singer and they just upped their prices from $200K to $400K after their initial sales so then I decided that I rather wanted a normal looking car (less conspicuous?) with similar features and perhaps a lot more power.
Something I could tour with and take to the track easily but still drive around town.
I am in love with the traditional 911 looks so the 964 was an easy choice.

So anyway, what I was trying to get to is that if you want a solid package you can lay down the dough with Singer or RUF or, for a third of the price do your own sh*t and deal with the learning curve. I'm not saying you will have a comparable end result, but you'll perhaps have something you are happy with as much. At least thats how it worked for me.
You are right that everybody seems to know better, but over time I've connected with people I like to work with and found advice from abroad. I've called people in LA with questions on oil strategy for my turbos which my mechanic in Amsterdam perfectly realised. Its not rocket science. Now I know some key people I trust and I use their advice when I make choices.

My engine failed after 50.000km but, to be honest, my mechanic already asked me several times to do a preventive rebuild before this happened. He knew how I was driving because he kept changing tires and brake pads...
But I was stubborn.

About the oil pump, I can tell you the 997GT3 pump has an extra scavenge inlet and I believe it has higher flow. TTP originally changed my 964 pump for a 930 turbo pump. But after the engine problem (conrod bearing failure) I wanted to change the pump and the radiators in the front to be sure everything is optimal and clean again. The new parts are too expensive to take any risk...

Damn...can't wait to get this car on the road again, really miss that crazy fun!
What a pleasure. Thats all worth it.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM
964TT
Pro

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I have a 993TT 6 speed gearbox in stock if you still want one?

Hi Colin, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure that is the right choice for me though. First of all I can get a new 996 turbo box probably for the same money and secondly I'm not sure if those ratios work for me. But this is the thing, its so hard to figure out what would be best in my situation.

My gripe with the current box is that it is a bit to long in the gearing, especially on track I think there is a lot to improve with better ratios.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:55 AM
kosarn
Intermediate

Truly incredible project!

May I ask who helped you with the speedo and clock conversion into boost gauge?
Old 12-04-2016, 12:49 PM
964TT
Pro

Originally Posted by kosarn
Truly incredible project!

May I ask who helped you with the speedo and clock conversion into boost gauge?
Thanks! The conversions were done in The Netherlands. The boost gauge done by one guy and the faces done by another company.
I'd have to look it up if you're really interested. PM me.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 AM
964TT
Pro

Yes! progress!
Pump, GT3 crank and Pauter conrods installed.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 964TT
Hi Colin, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure that is the right choice for me though. First of all I can get a new 996 turbo box probably for the same money and secondly I'm not sure if those ratios work for me. But this is the thing, its so hard to figure out what would be best in my situation.

My gripe with the current box is that it is a bit to long in the gearing, especially on track I think there is a lot to improve with better ratios.
I know where you are coming from, it's a difficult decision given a whole range of possibilities. I've fitted a cable change box into a 964 and all I can say is that it is not an easy job, so think long and hard about that before your commit since it will involve relocating the handbrake tubes to give you clearance in the tunnel. If this forces your hand to re-gear or 6 speed, my preference is to re-gear the 6 speed to run 5 gears fro track use an the overdrive top for high speed circuit or cruise as necessary.

Good luck with the build, it's all looking great!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:51 AM
964TT
Pro

Current builder not happy, doesn't want to shim the cylinders.
The parts I bought are all installed up to the cylinders and pistons but the deck height is too small. Actually the piston is protruding slightly at TDC.

I found out that this could be solved easily by adding a shim to the bottom of the cylinder, raising the cylinder about 1mm to get 0.8mm squish.
But, my current builder is not comfortable with that so I'm bringing the whole engine to Germany tomorrow to have it assembled there. Good thing is that I know everything will be done to the highest specs.

Bad thing, I have to drive 2.5hrs to bring the damn engine.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmmm, I'd hate the thought of having two different companies working on the same engine....if anything goes wrong it's alway going to be 'the other party's fault'.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:18 PM
964TT
Pro

Originally Posted by evoderby
Hmmmmm, I'd hate the thought of having two different companies working on the same engine....if anything goes wrong it's alway going to be 'the other party's fault'.
Absolutely, the worst scenario. I didn't plan it like this of course. At least one company is putting the whole engine together, the other one fitting it back into the car.
But yeah, far from ideal.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have to agree, I wouldn't even feel comfortable shimming a cylinder in a standard engine. A bit Heath Robinson after thought for an engine this bespoke.

You're changing engine builder half way through the build?

Was it an epiphany during one of your Yoga trances.

You must be feeling quite nervous about this engine. Wishing you all the best with it fella and hope to see the car in action soon.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:18 AM
964TT
Pro

Yeah it sucks. It does not feel pleasant to change of course but I have no choice.
I'm not really sure why a shim would be bad, but I'll have a good chat when I'm in Germany. On my way right now!
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2016, 07:28 AM
964TT
Pro

And the engine is in Germany.
Let's see how the saga continues.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:11 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

What went wrong?

Why don't you just get custom rods or pistons?

Quick Reply: 964 TT build - Need help with gearbox choice/ratios