Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok, i give up... the dreaded black square?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ok, i give up... the dreaded black square?

I am not sure what bright spark in the design department thought that putting a third brake light RIGHT in the middle of the rear window was a great idea... First thing I noticed when i bought my Porsche - started driving, looked in the rear view mirror and what do I see ? Nothing... just a big black brake light box... horrible !!
So, I thought I'd be smart and remove it... got some really nice red LED that are self adhesive and will stick to the rear window rubber out of sight up the top - until you put your foot on the brake that is.
Ok, so take off the brake light and I think all i need to do is scrape off the black square on the rear window.... hmmm, bigger fool me - there is no way in hell that it is coming off, or even budging... so - any clues how to get this square off - or is it a replace the back window job? If so - I guess, i put it all back together again and use my wing mirrors instead !
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't be scraped off, it's part of the glass (I know, I tried). There is an alternate back glass without the square, P/N 964-545-107-06 ($$$).

The good news is that you get used to the black square and being able to see through it is quite a lot better.

Good luck!

Jim G.

Last edited by C24FUN; 01-23-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of taping a pic of a police car to it when my wife takes the car as a joke.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

And to think I've felt "pissy," and "pissed-off" at the "great American automobile safety council" for legislating the addition of the "ET" stop light on my Cab !!! I was jealous as hell when I saw the guy in Dubai with an identical black cabriolet with NO "ET", on a thread a few months ago. Guess they're smarter drivers than we are!! YEAH
Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the only sensible (whatever that word means) thing to do is to go back up the shed and put it all back together again - and save up for a back windows without one. I have had it off the windows all morning and every time I go back up the shed and look at it - it screams of the 'hmm, what is supposed to go there' look... Of course, I could take a leaf from Dr Mitch's book and put a picture there, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of unblocking the view!
Seriously though... what idiot thought of this? Were they a midget or something? Maybe, they had the mirror mounted to one side of the windscreen (who carries passengers these days anyway?), or even a dash mounted mirror?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has never really bothered me. maybe you guys are looking in your mirror too much??
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by hepkat63
I am not sure what bright spark in the design department thought that putting a third brake light RIGHT in the middle of the rear window was a great idea...
I'm sure it was a cost savings.
Porsche was building what was essentially a 30 year old, labor intensive car design with high priced German labor and bleeding cash on the 964. They finally got the CHMSL (center high mounted stop light, called a chimsel) right with the 993.
When I'm doing "spirited" drives I've often thought it would be nice to actually spot a threat in my rear view mirror. Some day I will go the 993 route.....new glass and a 993 CHMSL
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow never realized that I didn't have one till this tread.

Had to go out to my car and confirmed that I don't have the 3rd brake light.

ROW 964.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canuck964
Wow never realized that I didn't have one till this tread.

Had to go out to my car and confirmed that I don't have the 3rd brake light.

ROW 964.
yes of course euro editions did not have 1 of the most useless inventions in the world (3rd brakelight). europeans & asians on faster/more crowded streets did very well indeed without it & a number of studies proved it was not a preventer of rear enders.
usa (as in other matters) used it as a form of import barrier until car companies "globalized/standardized" production.
for 964 editions that were destined for n.amer. porsche designed about the worst after factory production additions ever to meet usa regs.
964 n.amer cabs had the hideous alien emergent 3rd brakelight....which euro/asian cabs did not, & many of those surviving very well!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the square.
sorry.
see. we do all bounce from Pelican to Rennlist ............
Rennlist is THE 964 place, for sure.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:50 AM
wjean28
Intermediate

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ck-square.html

has anybody tried the heat gun, sounds like it should work as i believe its glued on

let me know if anybody has done this. thanks !
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

If you put a roll bar in, you can't see the black square anymore. And if you go fast enough, you won't need to look back at it.

Sorry, I've tried multiple ways to remove it, and none had any effect.

Quick Reply: ok, i give up... the dreaded black square?