Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We made a 2k mile round trip to the Porsche Parade last summer in Traverse City, MI. in our '94 Cab, it didn't miss a beat! The weather was perfect, lots of tours, rallies and great roads. The only time I put the top up was overnight. The car was in it's element and I really felt there was a definite connection in feeling to my first Porsche a '73 911S, only the hydraulic clutch and power steering of the 964 made it much more relaxing to drive 2k miles in 8 days.

I've owned 2 993's and they are one more step removed from the original 911 in refinement but still a strong connection with the past.

I think a 964 Cab is a great second car but would not consider one for a daily driver even if we lived in a more moderate climate. Apart from the fact that they are now 20 years old, it's not very practical for the grocery store unless you eat like a mouse or shopping at Home Depot for anything bigger than a few nuts and bolts!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
I will take a well sorted gp white coupe, 5 speed, sorted and 80k miles, for 25k.
i would like a '92 with cup wheels.
Please pm me with details.
cash buyer.
serious.
still waiting .................
maybe one will pop up in the springtime.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tacomaworld
The car that captured my attention for many months was a black/black widebody '94 C4 at Sloan. I drove it. I fell in love. I chickened out. After all, no one was paying $50k for a 964. Hindsight regret from not buying? You betcha!
Thank you tacomaworld for your reply. Hopefully it will shed some valuable experience for the OP but I know it definitely helps me to know that there are $50K 964's out there other than for a rare RS or turbo etc.

Not saying mine was worth $45k cause its just a plain jane 1990 C4 but at least it is nice to know there are other examples.

Since joining here in 06 I have always avoided mentioning my purchase price because in every thread about pricing a number of posters will state how that regular 964 is over priced at $20k or $25k and how you can find clean 964's for less than that etc etc.

When I bought mine I had done zero research and had no idea what a fair price really was. I compared the $45k to the cost of my wakeboard boat and cost of my golf course memberships and figured out that it was a fair price for me to have my dream car.

I did not want the feeling of regret if I left without buying the car and eventually not finding a similar one later.

Thank you for helping me lift the feeling of shame for paying so much for my old 964.

BTW my current daily driver is an Audi S6 so I know what you mean about lack of tactile pleasure.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM
tacomaworld
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canuck -

My regret about the black/black car is that they have skyrocketed since... paying $50k for a 31k widebody '94 looks like a bargain now that it's February 2014. Especially since I paid $44,500 for my plain Jane '91 C4 with 37k miles last fall.

My point? You're not alone!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Thank you tacomaworld for your reply. Hopefully it will shed some valuable experience for the OP but I know it definitely helps me to know that there are $50K 964's out there other than for a rare RS or turbo etc.

Not saying mine was worth $45k cause its just a plain jane 1990 C4 but at least it is nice to know there are other examples.

Since joining here in 06 I have always avoided mentioning my purchase price because in every thread about pricing a number of posters will state how that regular 964 is over priced at $20k or $25k and how you can find clean 964's for less than that etc etc.

When I bought mine I had done zero research and had no idea what a fair price really was. I compared the $45k to the cost of my wakeboard boat and cost of my golf course memberships and figured out that it was a fair price for me to have my dream car.

I did not want the feeling of regret if I left without buying the car and eventually not finding a similar one later.

Thank you for helping me lift the feeling of shame for paying so much for my old 964.

BTW my current daily driver is an Audi S6 so I know what you mean about lack of tactile pleasure.
Not sure what options or miles your car had when your purchased, but in Canada that price was not uncommon.
Good news is that the market has really crept up to that price point on good cars in Canada.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:05 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Not sure what options or miles your car had when your purchased, but in Canada that price was not uncommon.
Good news is that the market has really crept up to that price point on good cars in Canada.
It is a 1990 C4 with:
- leather and sport seat options.
- 35000 km (21,000 miles) at time of purchase
- Japanese import - had a whole bunch of maintenance records but all in Japanese ... I was able to trace thru the milage so at least I had some assurance of its correctness
- a whole bunch of Strosek mods done at the Strosek factory that totaled 41,000 DM back in 1990
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Oracle
Pro

Sorry for hijacking the thread:

LOL! Here in Canada is not unusual to find 964 in mid-10s (w/no history) to low-20s (well documented) and they stay on Kijiji or CL or autotrader for months and months..

First hand experience here: I advertised my 964 for about 2 years and just one person was kind-of interested (I was giving it for $20k).. Here in the great north the culture of owning an air-cooled is non-existing.

Originally Posted by mbintx
LOL. Agreed. I've been looking, with cash in hand!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Oracle
Pro

I want to remember that I owned the car of my dreams, just like you I had the 911 poster on the wall...

In my head is like this:
I want to remember my experiences, I don't want to remember my dreams...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oracle

LOL! Here in Canada is not unusual to find 964 in mid-10s (w/no history) to low-20s (well documented) and they stay on Kijiji or CL or autotrader for months and months..

First hand experience here: I advertised my 964 for about 2 years and just one person was kind-of interested (I was giving it for $20k).. Here in the great north the culture of owning an air-cooled is non-existing.
Is your 964 still for sale for $20k?

I know of someone who would definitely be interested.

He has been looking for an air cooled for a while.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must be dreaming!

Like you said what goes on in your head "I want to remember my experiences, I don't want to remember my dreams..."
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

I have all of Canada's Kijiji on autosearch every single day and there are almost no 964s that come up for sale. And if they do, they are about the same price as US version.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
I have all of Canada's Kijiji on autosearch every single day and there are almost no 964s that come up for sale. And if they do, they are about the same price as US version.
My buddy is the same he searches autotrader and kijiji every day for an air cool.

He hasn't found any decent ones for less than $20k if any at all.

But there must be plenty of them out there because as I have already stated there are always lots of poster stating they are plenty of 964s for $20k or less out there.

I guess we need to look harder.

In the mean time I guess I will have to come to terms with my $25,000 loss. Anyways its not a loss until I actually sell her.

Wonder how long it would take me to sell her at $20k?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey canuck,

A rare Strosek modified car with low k's and good documentation has more value than the average 964. IMO you have the more desirable Strosek mods and colour combo as well. Great looking car...I'm sure it turns some heads.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Oracle
Pro

My dear Canucks.
I sincerely tell you that you are either not looking hard enough or just bad luck..
An example is my own advertisement in Pelican Parts since 2010. How many emails/calls?? ZERO
I guess the asking price is waaaay off.. People always looking for a bargain and in my experienc nobody wants to pay fair price.
Here in Calgary I know of at least 3 that didn't sell after 2-3 years... I mean I lost track of them.. I even came across a 964 at Mitchener Allan Auction with light gold paint (factory by the way, absolutely stunning) that couldn't sell and the asking was than $10k. Someone told me that it went to scrap...

Anyway, finding the right specimen is always an important part of the journey..

Update:
This cab has been for sale for about 4 years:http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one is showing now: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one seems nice but a bit expensive: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My dear Canucks.
I sincerely tell you that you are either not looking hard enough or just bad luck..
An example is my own advertisement in Pelican Parts since 2010. How many emails/calls?? ZERO
I guess the asking price is waaaay off.. People always looking for a bargain and in my experienc nobody wants to pay fair price.
Here in Calgary I know of at least 3 that didn't sell after 2-3 years... I mean I lost track of them.. I even came across a 964 at Mitchener Allan Auction with light gold paint (factory by the way, absolutely stunning) that couldn't sell and the asking was than $10k. Someone told me that it went to scrap...

Anyway, finding the right specimen is always an important part of the journey..

Update:
This cab has been for sale for about 4 years:http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one is showing now: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one seems nice but a bit expensive: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
32, 27 and 24 thousand
2 C 4's and a tiptronic.

I'm a Canuck.
Let's see your car.
I am definitely interested, for sure, at mid teen's (15000)
Is it a C2?
year?
full documentation?
colour?
cup 1's?
pm me with details.

Quick Reply: At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?