Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
Sorry for hijacking the thread:

LOL! Here in Canada is not unusual to find 964 in mid-10s (w/no history) to low-20s (well documented) and they stay on Kijiji or CL or autotrader for months and months..

First hand experience here: I advertised my 964 for about 2 years and just one person was kind-of interested (I was giving it for $20k).. Here in the great north the culture of owning an air-cooled is non-existing.
Ha! Tell that to the fine folks in Quebec…….
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

My dear Canucks.
I sincerely tell you that you are either not looking hard enough or just bad luck..
An example is my own advertisement in Pelican Parts since 2010. How many emails/calls?? ZERO
I guess the asking price is waaaay off.. People always looking for a bargain and in my experienc nobody wants to pay fair price.
Here in Calgary I know of at least 3 that didn't sell after 2-3 years... I mean I lost track of them.. I even came across a 964 at Mitchener Allan Auction with light gold paint (factory by the way, absolutely stunning) that couldn't sell and the asking was than $10k. Someone told me that it went to scrap...

Anyway, finding the right specimen is always an important part of the journey..

Update:
This cab has been for sale for about 4 years:http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one is showing now: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one seems nice but a bit expensive: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Nice try, but Carrera 4 is not saught after as much as carrera 2.
Cabs are a different market again.
Carrera 2 is where the money is.
Also, not many people will pay for CDN Carrera 4 that has winter driving history… I cant believe one seller actually included a picture of the car in snow….
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great comparison Tacoma. I drove a 964 then a 993. I also felt the 964 is much more raw and the 993 more refined.

I have been on Craigslist, kijiji, and autotrader for 8 months and have seen just one that was 15k. I had a ppi done and passed on it because it had a laundry list of problems. Cabs and tips can be found cheap but not c2 manual coupes.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol..

This is the ad since 2010 and still waiting for a buyer.
I even advertised in mobile.de and only the scammers replied.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5607144

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Originally Posted by creaturecat
32, 27 and 24 thousand
2 C 4's and a tiptronic.

I'm a Canuck.
Let's see your car.
I am definitely interested, for sure, at mid teen's (15000)
Is it a C2?
year?
full documentation?
colour?
cup 1's?
pm me with details.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oracle, We're just sayin your math might be a bit off.......32, 27 and 24 don't quite equal mid-10s to low-20s. As with any car there's always the occasional deal out there. But mid-10s to low-20s is not the norm. or even close to average price, at least not lately. Also, if a car is taking years to sell there's usually some issue that's not obvious in the ad.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 AM
hamah
Pro

My dear Canucks.
I sincerely tell you that you are either not looking hard enough or just bad luck..
An example is my own advertisement in Pelican Parts since 2010. How many emails/calls?? ZERO
I guess the asking price is waaaay off.. People always looking for a bargain and in my experienc nobody wants to pay fair price.
Here in Calgary I know of at least 3 that didn't sell after 2-3 years... I mean I lost track of them.. I even came across a 964 at Mitchener Allan Auction with light gold paint (factory by the way, absolutely stunning) that couldn't sell and the asking was than $10k. Someone told me that it went to scrap...

Anyway, finding the right specimen is always an important part of the journey..

Update:
This cab has been for sale for about 4 years:http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one is showing now: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
This one seems nice but a bit expensive: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Easily explained..they are Calgary cars. Who wants 'em? Hell you can't even get windshields replaced on insurance there is so much gravel flying around. The only P-cars in Canada that might be less desirable would be from Edmonton or Ft. McMurray. I think the only sure sell in Alberta is a pick-up
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Lol..

This is the ad since 2010 and still waiting for a buyer.
I even advertised in mobile.de and only the scammers replied.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5607144

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

32, 27 and 24 thousand
2 C 4's and a tiptronic.

I'm a Canuck.
Let's see your car.
I am definitely interested, for sure, at mid teen's (15000)
Is it a C2?
year?
full documentation?
colour?
cup 1's?
pm me with details.

Do you still have this car for sale?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your ad says 27000!
I thought they were mid-teens. In Canada
I am now(even more) confused.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
seeq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ad says 27000!
I thought they were mid-teens. In Canada
I am now(even more) confused.
+1. At least low 20's maybe?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM
tcabler
Banned

You mean the well-sorted 94K mile C2 coupe I bought 3 years ago for $18.5 has appreciated +$10K. I'm just not buying this. Go to Hagerty valuations website. Hagerty is the foremost authority on specialty and classic car values and they've got the average price for a 1990 C2 coupe as $18.7K currently. What am I missing?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabler
You mean the well-sorted 94K mile C2 coupe I bought 3 years ago for $18.5 has appreciated +$10K. I'm just not buying this. Go to Hagerty valuations website. Hagerty is the foremost authority on specialty and classic car values and they've got the average price for a 1990 C2 coupe as $18.7K currently. What am I missing?
Buy it.. This is the reality of the market currently.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This site has it about right for current market value.
http://hub.motors.ebay.com/Porsche-911?myr=1990-1993
Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM
MtnFlyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrianU
There is a thread over on Pelican I've been following since it asks a good question for those of us who are still on the outside looking in and don't have the car of our dreams parked in the garage yet. I generally just lurk over there since the crowd seems more hostile than over here, but I decided to post there today and thought I'd share the same thoughts here for your input. Some of you may recall I have been considering the purchase of a 94 cab from a friend of a friend. I am still in negotiations with the wife on that, but in the meantime... Recall the car is pretty well sorted, has 88k miles, clean inside and out, has had clutch and top replaced in the last 10k and brakes, tires, and steering rack within the last 2k. I have not had a PPI done yet but I suspect it's got original suspension and I know it is at least due for a 15k service and valve adjust ($1,200 where I live). I don't know how much oil it consumes but I don't think it is much. He wants $30k for the car. I am 45 and grew up with pictures of the 80s Carreras on my bedroom wall so this is the shape I am in love with. This will be my first Porsche and I am not (yet) handy enough with tools to do much work on it myself. When I look at my "in" price of $30k (that is before negotiating the $1200 sevice and anything that may come up in a PPI) plus things I would want to do to get it fully sorted upon taking ownership such as the D-ZUG HID kit, a Bluetooth head unit, and any rubber bits/hoses etc that need replacing plus the eventual cost of replacing suspension with Bilstein PSS10 or KW V3 plus fresh mounts and bushings for another $5-10k, suddenly I have $40k in the car which could buy me a nice low miles 997.1 with IMS bearing done. And that doesn't even account for the fact that the 964 is approaching 100k miles and could need a rebuild before too long. Granted the 997 doesn't "do it" for me like the classic 964 shape and air-cooled sound, but how much is emotion and passion for a car from a certain era worth? I figure the depreciation curve of the 997 has not flattened yet, but given the price support in the market from the older 964 and 993 cars, are they ever really going to be worth less than an above average 964?
Back to Brian's original questions...

Stop thinking with your head Brian. If the the 964 is the one you've always dreamt of then buy it. Aside from being a great car that will bring you years of great experiences, there's also the joy of attaining something you only previously dreamed of.

In my personal experience, money accumulating in my bank account has never given me the joy my 997 does.

It's been a couple of days. Has there been any changes with the 964 you were looking at?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
BrianU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MtnFlyer
It's been a couple of days. Has there been any changes with the 964 you were looking at?
Not yet. Was hoping to talk to him Friday evening but he was heading out of town for the weekend so we are going to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabler
is it nice? I will buy it for 18.5
send me pics. what colour? cup wheels?
cash buyer.
what is the location?
so i can make arrangements.

Quick Reply: At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?