Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. You're one confused guy.
You offer to buy when is not for sale and comment on sales that are not of your interest.

Logic says you don't need to find logic on people's opinions.
Wait, that confusing...

Originally Posted by creaturecat
is this a flip flop?
Now i am even more confused.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

I just had a cash offer for 40K for the car you see in my avatar. Not selling it but good to know.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
Lol..

This is the ad since 2010 and still waiting for a buyer.
I even advertised in mobile.de and only the scammers replied.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5607144

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
I just looked at the ad and it is a great looking car. Tear drop mirrors, complete tool kit with the compressor, engine redone, new flywheel and clutch (>$5k it cost me to replace 8 years ago), full documentation (including window sticker), great colour, leather seats, C2 coupe.

If it is still for sale I can't see why no one would bite at $27,000.

Now in an earlier posting you stated - "First hand experience here: I advertised my 964 for about 2 years and just one person was kind-of interested (I was giving it for $20k).. Here in the great north the culture of owning an air-cooled is non-existing." Even in 2010 I am surprised no one jumped on it.

If you were willing to take $20k there should be a line up for it now. Especially our American friends as that is equal to US$18k. Just post an updated ad for CAD$20k and it will be sold within one hour. I bet if you made this offer on this tread you will have a buyer.

I personally know someone who is really trying to get back into air cools. He had a very high mileage SC years ago and sold it because he was afraid of the high KM. He dreads that decision today.

Realistically I know you would be crazy to sell for $20k. If the PPI checks out I would suggest you could get close to $30k or more for her.

I think that creaturecat was making a point that in your original reply when you stated ..... "LOL! Here in Canada is not unusual to find 964 in mid-10s (w/no history) to low-20s (well documented) and they stay on Kijiji or CL or autotrader for months and months.." ..... this is not the case today. Not saying whether or not the 964 will keep going up but certainly I would be surprised that your car would only sell for low - 20s.

If you are serious I would list it for $40,000 and see if there are any bites.

My friend is on all the car site looking all the time. There is very very little inventory of clean 964's right now.

I would list in the US with the exchange (CAD$40,000 = US$36,000).

If you wait till next year it is likely the US exchange will be at .80 or lower. Then a CAD$40,000 car is only US$32,000.

BUT man that is a clean 964 I would not sell it even if CAD$50,000 was offered to me.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. You're one confused guy.
You offer to buy when is not for sale and comment on sales that are not of your interest.

Logic says you don't need to find logic on people's opinions.
Wait, that confusing...
you have decided to make this personal ?
sorry buddy, i don't play those games.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 PM
BrianU
Rennlist Member

Well I sure didn't expect to start a thread that is currently 8 pages and nearly 5k views...after reading all the posts I have decided I really want to join "the club", despite realizing today how much worse the market is for my 09 JCW than I thought it was when I started down this rabbit hole.

I made a decent offer to the guy on Friday, he didn't want to discuss at that time because he was heading out of town til Monday, and it's been radio silence since then. He is definitely on the fence about selling, so it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to keep it. Then it's back to square one.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, I listed a 1990 cab triple black, 95k miles, manual, service history since 2000, located in San Antonio. Not ragged out from road salt etc. car has had a top end, new clutch, steering rack, coils. VERY CLEAN, maintained and runs great. Asking $25k. Over $10k-$12k of maintenance and repairs mitigated.

One response total on Rennlist. Not even a GLWS etc.

Yes, I have lurked In the background since I bought the car February 2011. I am probably on and off Rennlist 5-10 times a day. As my wife says, "oh, you are looking at car **** again". Just not a big poster, I prefer to listen to others and I have benefited greatly from the knowledge of this board.

So what is my point.....why no offers if the market is so great?

BTW, car sold off of Craigslist, going to Germany.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Oracle
Pro

No, c'mon, just kidding. We all have an opinion, don't take this personal. Not trying to light a fire.

Originally Posted by creaturecat
you have decided to make this personal ?
sorry buddy, i don't play those games.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Oracle
Pro

I was just trying to make a point that even if the "low entry cost" 964 are not available there are others and although they're more expensive here in Calgary these cars sits for months and months without anyone really buying (US or CAN)..

I could re-list the car if I wanted, I haven't done it because I'm not actively selling the 964, not waiting for something to magically happen. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

I was trying to make a point and nothing more.

Thanks

Originally Posted by canuck964
I just looked at the ad and it is a great looking car. Tear drop mirrors, complete tool kit with the compressor, engine redone, new flywheel and clutch (>$5k it cost me to replace 8 years ago), full documentation (including window sticker), great colour, leather seats, C2 coupe.

If it is still for sale I can't see why no one would bite at $27,000.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I was just trying to make a point that [...] here in Calgary these cars sits for months and months without anyone really buying (US or CAN).
Perhaps because it is Calgary? Not sure about others but for me the lack of accessibility to that area is a big drawback and it killed a deal last year. Flights are scarce and expensive and I ultimately decided to pass on a 964 I was interested in for my wife.

Also, a lot of folks associate "the North" with rusted out cars and won't even consider them. They forget to realize that most owners who care store their vehicles in the winter.

Lastly, for many folks buying a car in Canada and bringing it into the US seems like a daunting task (there are numerous posts on that when a Canadian car comes up for sale), although in reality it's fairly straightforward/easy.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM
n.dino
Advanced

Here's one for the whiners, quick scroll through auto-trader-- and I am not even in the market anymore.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65606605&Log=0
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexPorsche
Just curious, I listed a 1990 cab triple black, 95k miles, manual, service history since 2000, located in San Antonio. Not ragged out from road salt etc. car has had a top end, new clutch, steering rack, coils. VERY CLEAN, maintained and runs great. Asking $25k. Over $10k-$12k of maintenance and repairs mitigated.

Yes, I have lurked In the background since I bought the car February 2011. I am probably on and off Rennlist 5-10 times a day. As my wife says, "oh, you are looking at car **** again". Just not a big poster, I prefer to listen to others and I have benefited greatly from the knowledge of this board.

I've had very good results selling cars on eBay to the International market.

Last October I sold my wrecked polar silver (guy ran a red light t-boned me) 964 C4 cab on eBay and had many German bidders fighting over it. It ended up going to a guy in Canada who got in a bidding war during the last hour of the auction. I couldn't believe how much it went for. I turned around and purchased the grand prix white 964 C4 cab that is my current avatar photo.

Last edited by 964Carrera4; 02-13-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
MtnFlyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrianU
I made a decent offer to the guy on Friday, he didn't want to discuss at that time because he was heading out of town til Monday, and it's been radio silence since then. He is definitely on the fence about selling, so it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to keep it. Then it's back to square one.
Keep at it Brian! You will eventually succeed and find yourself a great car.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by TexPorsche

There is quite a lot of cabs for sale compared to coupe. One thing is that it seems people buying these cars want a very specific combination... And when these come up they go fast. (Sports seats, no spray, exact color combo, options, etc)

For me, it has to be white or blue (maritime would be a dream but I could take midnight if the interior is light gray). The lowest cars for sale are usually red and black.. Many of the white ones have a blue top/interior which is a no go for me. I also want a 1992-1994 ideally.

And so on.

When you buy a car at this price and expect to drive it less than 5k miles per year (that's my average when I had my M3 as we have harsh winters up north) it's really a long process when you don't mind waiting for another car.

Glad you sold yours!

The market seems to compare to the housing market where the in-demand neighborhood have bidding wars and others have houses sitting for months.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I don't know how people want new members to introduce themselves, I will do it prior my first "real" post in this forum.
My name is Christoph, I am from Munich, Germany and currently rep for my employer at Boeing in Seattle.
I am pretty much addicted to cars since my childhood.
So far all of my cars (only three within 14 years) where BMWs.As I have the resources now to get me into 911s, I want to do so. Especially as I have the opportunity to take the car with me back to Europe next year, when my time here in the States is over.

As I am generally not very much interested in cars that got built after the mid 1990s, my focus lies on 964s.
So I am already looking for a car for quite a while, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very easy to find a proper one.
Actually I don't care that much about the exteriour/ interiour colors, important for me is rather the current mechanical state of the car, that it is manual and very important that it has the original paint, without larger resprays.Of course that means that salvaged cars are almost definately not an option for me.
It should be a C2, but a good C4 would also be at least considerable.
The lower the milage the better but that also depends of the overall appearance of the car.
I would also highly appreciate a long term ownership of the current owner (sorry for the sometimes funky english).
I would be willing to pay up to 30k US$ for a descent car, if it's less even better

I actually registered to the forum as I have a special interest in a certain car of one of the members.
I have seen so far that there seem to be some, let's say unpleasant people, scamming classified threads.
So I can understand that the member I mentioned before might be afraid that I could be one of those people - but I am not.I am real and everything I stated in here is the truth.

So if anybody has a car to offer that is not farther away from Seattle than a one or two days of drive, I would be very interested to read or hear about offers.
I have the money available, flying to meet for an meetup is absolutely possible from my side.
I am also willing to prove myself, so I could send passport pictures or give away my phone number if that would make the difference between ignoring me or not.

Sorry if that might be offtopic, but maybe it helps to find a happy new Porsche owner...

Servus,

Christoph

Last edited by Mezger; 02-13-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezger
As I don't know how people want new members to introduce themselves, I will do it prior my first "real" post in this forum.
My name is Christoph, I am from Munich, Germany...
Posting and not lurking is a great start. This is a community of enthusiasts, and it only works if we post, share thoughts and help each other.

So welcome and good luck with your search. While you are in the States, make sure you attend events like cars & coffee and PCA events also.

Best,
Udo

Quick Reply: At what point is it no longer worth buying a 964?