Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 now or Wait for a C2???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The smell coming from the smoke was like when something electric burns...
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Smoke is still much more likely to be dripping oil, but who knows, there could be some bad electrical repairs back there! Doesnt sound like the healthiest example of the breed although most 964's need to be nearer 4k rpm to get that 'kick'.

The heat exchangers catch many of the oil leaks and will cause smoke to waft up thru the spoiler after a good drive, also leaking valve covers can squirt onto the manifold/cat and cause a plume of oilsmoke under WOT.

In the wet there is often smoke from the right rear wheel well which I think is normal and probably steam coming off the hot secondary muffler or oiltank (never figured out which).
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Not sure what the real dilema/fuss is re C2 vs C4 handling... End of the day you can adjust/reset any of the geo to your own personal taste. That's what's great about the 964 - it's very doable with a massive support and product market to make it do what you want. Anything else is really only about weight, reliability etc (and if it was good for Le Mans it's good for anyone).

On my second C4 and for each I had the geo and suspension guru-adjusted to give neutral handling with a small bias for oversteer if pushed. It's easy and didn't cost much.

My rallying days all over again - foot down on out and awesome four-wheel power slides. Cracks me up each time...
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Not sure what the real dilema/fuss is re C2 vs C4 handling... End of the day you can adjust/reset any of the geo to your own personal taste. That's what's great about the 964 - it's very doable with a massive support and product market to make it do what you want. Anything else is really only about weight, reliability etc (and if it was good for Le Mans it's good for anyone).

On my second C4 and for each I had the geo and suspension guru-adjusted to give neutral handling with a small bias for oversteer if pushed. It's easy and didn't cost much.

My rallying days all over again - foot down on out and awesome four-wheel power slides. Cracks me up each time...
Keep up Marcus, all of the defensive arguments for a C4 have already been put forward and that the OP should be on condition rather than how many wheels are driven. The problem now is that the C4 the OP has found and test driven, appears to be a dog.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:12 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
WTB 964 coupe threads posted on here since middle of last year: WTB C2 = 7 WTB C4 = 1

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 04-17-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Pc007
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Smoke is still much more likely to be dripping oil, but who knows, there could be some bad electrical repairs back there! Doesnt sound like the healthiest example of the breed although most 964's need to be nearer 4k rpm to get that 'kick'.

The heat exchangers catch many of the oil leaks and will cause smoke to waft up thru the spoiler after a good drive, also leaking valve covers can squirt onto the manifold/cat and cause a plume of oilsmoke under WOT.

In the wet there is often smoke from the right rear wheel well which I think is normal and probably steam coming off the hot secondary muffler or oiltank (never figured out which).
Mine never has this kind of smoke....so I was very badly impressed...

Originally Posted by LM964

In terms of handling, I just felt the car more heavy, less playful, but that could also be for the car being not very "healthy"..

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Keep up Marcus, all of the defensive arguments for a C4 have already been put forward and that the OP should be on condition rather than how many wheels are driven. The problem now is that the C4 the OP has found and test driven, appears to be a dog.
Hehehe didn't knew there was a c4 vs c2 "fight" in the 964 forum! Hehehe
Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
Hehehe didn't knew there was a c4 vs c2 "fight" in the 964 forum! Hehehe
I do get it, but they'll be another one on this along next week I'm sure. Maybe I'll update Wiki to that effect... No more from me on this - I'm impatiently waiting for the 919's debut at Silverstone this weekend instead.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always convert it to a C2 later. That's what I said to myself when I bought my (ex-)Tiptronic.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Pc007
Racer

Originally Posted by azander
You can always convert it to a C2 later. That's what I said to myself when I bought my (ex-)Tiptronic.
That sounds expensive....any idea on prices for that conversion?

Quick Reply: C4 now or Wait for a C2???