Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hall sensor code. Wiring or sensor itself?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Hall sensor code. Wiring or sensor itself?

Have a hall sensor code. So I took a look at the plug . Can't see anything visibly wrong and so I'll have to start searching. I was wondering since it's come up so much, how often is it the plug and wiring itself vs a need to replace the actual sensor? I'm hoping it's just the plug but the boot is so stiff and old I am worried about tearing it when I peal it back.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wiring on mine was fine. Replacing the sensor solved the code problem and has transformed the ignition system.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Thanks boxey I think I saw that in a post from years ago. I'm hoping that whatever the fix ends up being, that not only I can do it myself but that it doesnt cost much.

Does anyone know a way to check the wiring? Is it possible to check the wires with a multimeter?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Feudal Serf
Instructor

Hey,
I had this code a couple weeks ago. Turned out to be a lower plug in cyl 1 wasnt seated.
I isolated the problem using a durametric scanner noticing that the timing was retarded by 6° only when i had the ignition coil plugged in for the lower plugs.
Timing returned to normal on durametric when only top plugs running. I then tested each wire by disconnecting at lower distributer to locate cyl 1 lower which didnt change rough idle when unplugged.

Feudal Serf
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Goughary
Thanks boxey I think I saw that in a post from years ago. I'm hoping that whatever the fix ends up being, that not only I can do it myself but that it doesnt cost much.
It was more recent that. I got it fixed up in December. Here's my thread on the subject:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lure-code.html

Once I found the Hall sensor (cost 12.50 euro plus shipping) I handed it over to my Indy. They stripped down the dizzy to fit it and replaced the belt at the same time.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah I fortunately I had Steve Weiner rebuild my distributer two years ago, so I hate pulling it back out for another rebuild...cuz it shouldn't need it.y plug wires are due to be replaced, so maybe new wires and plugs will resolve the issue.

And then there is the sensor plug. Does anyone have a source for the plug itself?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM
sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Goughary,

Did you ever get your issue resolved and what was the fix?

Well mine stranded me at a stoplight during rush hour today. Got it flat bedded to my indie and got a Hall Sensor fault and Knock Sensor 1 reading. My car has been running great since the last checkup about a year ago then just up until recently about a week or so I started to get intermittent hesitation when taking off in 1st. But it never died on me until today.

I've search that this Hall Sensor fault most times is a red herring and is somewhere else in the ignition system. My car is a 90 C4 with relatively new coils, caps, plugs ~a year old on those parts and a new battery. Adaptation was done at the shop but the fault came back.

Any pointers of the areas to check in troubleshooting? I'll definitely update on mine once the issue is found.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

SC, when I had the hall sensor code mine too would cut out when coming to a stop. I found that if I unplugged it at the distributor I could drive the car with no issues (apart from it being down on top end power due to the retarded timing that results from having no hall sensor signal). That was the finding that lead me to getting the hall sensor fixed. See link above to my thread.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
sc
Racer

Hey Steve,

Thanks for that! I read your thread and will definitely keep yours in mind and alert my mech to it as well. Anything helps in hopefully avoiding a lengthy troubleshooting session as the more hours equal more labor.

I wish I had read disconnecting at the distributor earlier which would have made my traffic light fiasco today a bit less humiliating.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
sc
Racer

Update: Mech reports that ignition circuit #2 has issues. When the car is running on that circuit the car is not happy.

Will report progress as I get it. This shop is closed Fridays so they'd more likely have to continue next week.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM
sc
Racer

Well turns out my issue regarding the hall sensor is one of the coils. Primary. For now she's back in business!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hall sensor code. Wiring or sensor itself?