Sponsored by:

Pardon the introduction...First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pardon the introduction...First Porsche

I have posted a few times but have primarily hidden in the outreaches of the RL universe for the last year absorbing all of the Porsche-phile knowledge that flows so freely between all of you here. I haven't properly introduced myself as I have been wrestling with how to answer the upcoming request to "let us see the pictures."

Please grant me a bit of patience for a backstory and I promise it will be the cliff notes and not the entire "war and Peace", although I will highlight learned lessons. After a year of searching and a failed purchase, I located the car that I dreamed about since my childhood, a 964 C4 Targa. The car I purchased was a 50K mile, 91 Amazon Green over Linen example with an initial PPI of "it has the usual mechanical issues for a 20+ year old Porsche and the engine will need to be resealed.
"
(Lesson 1) Always see a car in person or have a trusted member of RL visit the car

I purchased the car sight unseen as I am assigned overseas (currently Switzerland) for work. I had the car sent to the left coast to LA where my brother lives to be custodian of my car. Here I arranged for a second PPI to be done to get the full scope of work.

(Lesson 2) Don't ask the questions if you don't want the Answers
The second PPI was so diligent the seats came out of the car to look at the floorboards. Prognosis - you might want to think about selling this.

Apparently, one of the previous owners may or may not have kept the targa top on the car while parking outside in Monsoon season. Signs of corrosion on bolts on the floor, wiring by the DME deteriorating and sediment collecting under the sills...signs that water had sat in the cabin.

As I have held the car in storage for a year in hopes of getting back to work on it myself I have watch prices steadily climb...I could sell and buy a cleaner example possibly for more than I paid or I could keep her and invest more money than reasonable to bring her back to her former glory.

(Lesson 3) There is no reasoning with an enthusiest

No content to be defeated by reason, the shackles placed upon me by my overseas assignment or my thinly padded wallet, I have decided to have her rebuilt and restored professionally.

SO this brings me to my painful introduction and the beginning of me actively seeking guidance and feedback from any and all Rennlisters that would like to assist me in the "Angry Peacock" project.

My car is beginning her deconstruction process in Southern California and I currently am wrestling with one main question.

1 – Do I restore her to original OEM condition for future collectability and value OR make the few (or not so few) select modifications that will reward an increase in performance, reliability, balance and overall drivability.

I have poured through countless posts to be able to talk intelligently to you all as this is my first Porsche (although this desire started when my dad drove home in a 1981 911 SC) and only hope to pass along the same information you will have instilled in me.

For those that have made it this far in the post, I thank you, but now I encourage you all to do something I currently cannot…feed your 6 cylinder, fire swilling, beastie some twisted asphalt…Angry Peacock and I will still be here when you return.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice intro Nylasurf.
Where are you in Switzerland?
As to how you should have the car restored, well there will be many different opinions on this.
Some say originality will mean better sale price sometime in the future. You have a comparatively low mileage car, so it would make sense in many ways to keep to the original spec.
When I bought mine, I always intended to modify her to what I wanted her to look like and for my intended use, so I purposefully avoided low mileage, pristine car, what I ended up with is an already slightly modded car, ie suspension, a bit of the interior, and a remapped engine, but there is a lot to do still for her to full fill my vision.
But, this is your car, so decide if you want to stay original or improve on the original Porsche model. There are several threads of modified cars to all levels here on RL.
My suggestion if you are not sure.
1). US cars ride higher than European spec cars.
Most owners are not keen on this, so I would look at the suspension, I have KWV3's which apparently are a great bit of kit, but there are other options.
2) Wheels.
D90's are common as a standard wheel, some love them, others not so much, Cup 1's look great and so do Cup 2's, but again there are many options available.
3) Steering wheel.
Being a US spec car it would have had an air, again many people prefer to keep these, but some like to replace them with Momo's or Club sports etc etc, again many choices.
With these 3 changes you could change / improve of the standard look of the car, but all of these can be put back to standard easily if required, but in my opinion, they would be big improvement to how the original car looked.

And finally, we need photos.

Good luck, and looking forward to your up dates.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

StuartQ - I am in Bern...beautiful city...and country.

Thank you for the suggestions I am of a similar mindset of many of you on here...take a wonderfully capable car, improve some of the dynamics without jeopardizing the character that causes us to love it I. The first place. I have already secured a set of 17" Fuchs. I think changing wheels/ suspension ( even if it is to euro spec), and brakes (if not changing the entire system to say 993 4 channel) would have a minimal effect on the value to a collector as they are easy to change back especially if I keep the parts. I am planning on these simple mods, and a few more- (like the headlights you came across) but am contemplating the idea of building out the engine, etc.

Even if I go down the path of building her out in every dimension, she would be primarily a road car, with a few track day,hill climb events thrown in.

I welcome any and all feedback. I am still sifting through many of the great threads from Black-Betty, 9miester, Bill V, KaiB, and many more.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

I'm with Stuart
Momo mod 7 is a must.
Cup 1's or some nice period bbs rims.
Coilovers. Cup pipe and decat.
Headlamp wash delete.
Side repeater delete (think US don't have side reps anyway)
Euro rear bumper centre (not RS)
That would pretty much do it.
Maybe 993 handles but the 964 ones go well with the black targa hoop.
Cup mirrors if it hasn't got them.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

Sounds like a nice project you're embarking on.

Ditto the above suggestions but I'd definitely stick with the 964 door handles.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
I'm with Stuart
Momo mod 7 is a must.
Cup 1's or some nice period bbs rims.
Coilovers. Cup pipe and decat.
Headlamp wash delete.
Side repeater delete (think US don't have side reps anyway)
Euro rear bumper centre (not RS)
That would pretty much do it.
Maybe 993 handles but the 964 ones go well with the black targa hoop.
Cup mirrors if it hasn't got them.
Lemass - contemplated a backdate and wanted to throw in a Nardi Kallista wood wheel...momo makes more sense though. Def. want to add aero mirrors . Spent a few years of my childhood as your neighbor (neighbour) in Gerrards Cross. Good luck with your massive project...and I love your Grey car...stunning.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi,

Sounds like a nice project you're embarking on.

Ditto the above suggestions but I'd definitely stick with the 964 door handles.

Good luck,
Paul
Paul - thanks...I agree the 964 handles shall stay.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

If you are ever down in Vaud, and fancy a beer let me know.
I'm between Lausanne and Geneve!
The headlamp change is a good mod.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Really. How strange. I lived in gerrards cross from birth until 4 years ago!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Nylasurf.

If you restore Angry Peacock to her original OEM condition with the easily changeable mods as suggested she will still reward you with performance, reliability, balance and overall drivability as well as future collectability and value.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Really. How strange. I lived in gerrards cross from birth until 4 years ago!!!
Lived there as a child...first fell in love with Porsches there...Dad had a red SC and his best friend had a black targa

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
If you are ever down in Vaud, and fancy a beer let me know.
I'm between Lausanne and Geneve!
The headlamp change is a good mod.
Switzerland is small, we definately will have to meet up and have a drink...I can see your beautiful car and you can laugh at the pea soup colored Prius I have here...but with petrol so pricey...cannot complain about the appliance I currently drive.

Originally Posted by Mixter
Welcome Nylasurf.

If you restore Angry Peacock to her original OEM condition with the easily changeable mods as suggested she will still reward you with performance, reliability, balance and overall drivability as well as future collectability and value.
Mixter, thank you...I plan on having the Angry Peacock (suited her due to the color + those birds are just plain mean) for a very long time. The concern over future value is I know that there were only about 1300 C4 Targas built from 89-93...so I figure that in the long run she should appreciate if I appreciate her.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

How old are you?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

How old are you?
Ha That's a personal question...JK I am 39...lived there from 9 to 12 yrs of age.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Ah 9 years on me lol. Would have been funny If I knew you.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Ah 9 years on me lol. Would have been funny If I knew you.
I would have been the cheeky little kid with the annoying 'Merican' accent. I hope to make it to the the UK...have friends in London and I hope to see all of the amazing 964s you lot have over there

Quick Reply: Pardon the introduction...First Porsche