HID blowing fuse..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HID blowing fuse..Help!

Hey guys,
In the midst of my HID retro..I was using a pair of 55W ebay ballasts I had lying around I had no issues running this setup went for a nice cruise HID's were running strong however the light output was horrible. So after doing some research I ended up grabbing Denso slim 35W ballasts , when I hooked these up the light output was outstanding exactly what I was expecting....however It blew the fuse right away...

What I don't understand is how can 55W ballast work fine and a 35W ballast keep blowing the fuse...Fuses are 7.5A for low and high beam

Also are regular halogen bulbs on 964's 55W?
Any suggesstions ?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 35/55W ratings are for steady state operation. Depending on the ballast design, the current draw can be briefly higher at turn-on to help speed up the buildup of light output. Is this when the fuse blew?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

What setup are you running? Are you keeping the OEM housing and just replacing the bulbs and parts behind?

Probably can't help you, just interested because this is something I'm looking to do - though I was thinking mostly about getting the Dzug kit, but if there's a better solution would love to hear it (provided it doesn't blow fuses )
Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Relays! Do a search.. you should be offloading the stock wiring to a relay setup with independent fuses. That way you don't tax the stock switches, which are expensive.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmat
The 35/55W ratings are for steady state operation. Depending on the ballast design, the current draw can be briefly higher at turn-on to help speed up the buildup of light output. Is this when the fuse blew?
That's correct..it stays on for a second and then blows..I found out ballast draws almost 15Amps at turn on hence 7.5A fuse not able to take it.

Originally Posted by dhc905
What setup are you running? Are you keeping the OEM housing and just replacing the bulbs and parts behind?

Probably can't help you, just interested because this is something I'm looking to do - though I was thinking mostly about getting the Dzug kit, but if there's a better solution would love to hear it (provided it doesn't blow fuses )
I am doing a complete retro with FX-R Projectors, Phillips D2S bulbs & denso slim ballasts.

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Relays! Do a search.. you should be offloading the stock wiring to a relay setup with independent fuses. That way you don't tax the stock switches, which are expensive.
That's what I'll doing, can someone guide me how to run new wires to the headlight housing through the stock grommet??

Here's only 1 projector fired up
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Hey guys can some please confirm if headlight wirings are running from these Grommet's??

Quick Reply: HID blowing fuse..Help!