"Number 27" - Lightweight Cobalt C4 project

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Number 27" - Lightweight Cobalt C4 project

"Number 27"

Why “Number 27” I hear you ask? Well, I’ve been looking for a name for the car since I’ve owned it but never quite found anything I liked.. Betty Blue would of course have worked but in my mind this car is a he.. and it would have been too close to Frank’s wonderful Black Betty as well..

So seeing as the Porsche colour of the car is Cobalt Blue I looked up Cobalt to see if there were any interesting associations.. it turns out that as a chemical Cobalt has an Atomic number of 27. I thought this might work well and decided to go with it. OI'm going to get a couple of stickers made up for the rear screen with the logo as per the top of this post..

Some of you may have seen previous threads on the car but I thought that the new name merited a new thread. Plus the car will now come in for the next stage of its development so this is a good way to start it off. I will post a summary of what has been done to the car so far but from here these are the next steps:

- Wheels: Bought some 18” Fuchs from Mark (ORP73), conveniently he did not like his and had them repainted satin black.. which I much prefer on 964’s to the standard pattern. In line with reducing weight as per previous efforts the Fuchs are pretty light.. 8.2kg fronts and 8.8 kg for the rears.
Not the best pic but this what they look like now.. Ideally I would have liked a polished rim but you can’t have everything.

- Body: For the same reason (and because it should work well with the Fuchs) I am also going to fit a fibreglass ducktail.. not sure by how much but it should reduce weight substantially from the steel heavy engine lid assembly with the motorized spoiler
- Paint: Next in line will be a full paint job, the car has some very small bubbles in the usual places and I want to catch them before they get any worse. As part of that I will delete the headlight washers and side indicators
- Engine: A more flexible engine management system is also on the cards but I want to follow Alex’s path rather than the Motec route. This is because of cost but also because doing something different appeals. This will also allow removal of the heavy airflow meter assembly
- Seats: I tried Pole Positions but unfortunately due to back issues I had to go back to standard seats. It seems the main issue was with the shoulder “wings” keeping my shoulders to far forward and hemmed in. So will need to look at other options. For now I have dyed my linen seats black to match the new RS style interior. Ideally I would like to the standard sports seats but with less weight and lower so I can fit in better with a helmet for track days
- Suspension: I currently have Bilstein B6s and H&R Green springs. Good combo but not really good enough for the track. Ideally I would like something adjustable so the car does not loose its road manners too much. I think an air set up might be the way to go but need to look at weights and so on. I also used ohlins a lot on my bikes and that appeals too but they would never have the level of adjustability of an air system

This the kind of look I am hoping for..

So now a summary of what has been done to the car so far:

Weight reduction: last time it was weighed the car came in at 1302 Kgs with a quarter of a tank of petrol. Porsche declared 1475 Khgs for the C4 (with a full tank?) so pretty good.. but would like to do more. From what I can remember so far I have removed:
Spare wheel and compressor (replaced with a can)
All gas struts for bonnet and engine lid
Steel bonnet replaced with carbon
Bypass pipe
Frunk Carpet and intensive windscreen wash reservoir
Lightweight RS interior (minus rear seats and belts)
Rear Wiper
Radio and speakers
Engine under tray
Lightweight Flywheel
Rear blower delete

Engine: Has a primary bypass pipe and a 100 cell cat. Been to Redtek for a rebuild, including big ends and a cup cam with Nick’s spec of chip. Should be putting out towards 280-300 BHP

Chassis: H&R Greens and Bilstein B6 shocks. H&R adjustable anti roll bars, currently only the rear fitted with standard 964 front, to help with C4 under steer. Car has also been set up with aggressive geo for the same reason. Strut brace fitted. RS Engine mounts

Body: RS Style Brake cooling ducts, soon to be converted from decorative to fully functional. Clear indicators. Crooked 964 smile that needs fixing

Interior: Grey RS Carpet set, RS Door cards with Blue door pulls, Momo Mod 7 with Blue stitching. Linen seats dyed black. RS style battery cut out. Centre console and hand brake dyed black, new gearshift gaiter

Last edited by jack.pe; 08-01-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jack,

Nice intro for No 27.

Looking forward to the updates.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cobalt 27 is truly el·e·men·tal in all of its meanings By definition he is "a supernatural entity or force thought to be physically manifested by occult means" and I am looking forward to the future progress.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed! Cool name
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure when you getthe next BaT track day you get '27' reserved
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Nice car, mate!

Where did you get the door cards from?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Awesome!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sub'd, catchy name, looking forward to seeing how far down the slippery slope you slide
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sub'd
Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Hi Jack,
Nice intro for No 27.
Looking forward to the updates.
Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Cobalt 27 is truly el·e·men·tal in all of its meanings By definition he is "a supernatural entity or force thought to be physically manifested by occult means" and I am looking forward to the future progress.
Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Subscribed! Cool name
Originally Posted by Zingari
Just make sure when you getthe next BaT track day you get '27' reserved
Originally Posted by SuperUser
Awesome!
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
Sub'd, catchy name, looking forward to seeing how far down the slippery slope you slide
Originally Posted by breljohn
Sub'd
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Nice car, mate!

Where did you get the door cards from?
From Appbiz in the States...
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Going to get the car repainted at lemass this winter.. whilst there thinking getting lightweight lexan rear window and rear quarters.. from these guys:

http://www.eb-motorsport.co.uk/productinfo.asp?id=213

Rear window alone saves 5Kgs.. will just replacing the rear screen and quarters make the car much more noisy?

Some more pics from my recent trip to italy.. weather was not quite so good for the second half. Somewhere in Sitzerland i think..

Hooked up with Stuart in Switzerland.. I'm starting to think he does not really have a 964.. so far only seen him in the M5 and now this contraption. Mex, Switzerland

Italy, Lake Maggiore

My uncle's neighbour has just bought himslef a convertible kettle.. I drove it and whilst no 964 I was pretty impressed.. Italy, above Lake Maggiore

and a few pics from earlier in the trip... sorry for those that have already seen them. France, Val D'Isere

Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cobalt looks awesome in that bright sunlight!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Jack - I can sell you my clear Lexan screen when I get a heated replacement from fuch.

It needs to come out and be shaped more to fit better, but otherwise its perfect. There's no difference in noise etc and Fuch mentioned it was one of the best he'd seen...

m
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at Plastics 4 Performance they seem popular and good value:
http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-...=149&model=422
Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 AM
perrew
Instructor

mf_rsr do you have any info on the weight diff on the Lexan vs. The heated?

Quick Reply: "Number 27" - Lightweight Cobalt C4 project