Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ambitiously Priced RS America

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I wounder how many were totaled on the track/street. Not to mention how many were stolen? My guess overall is well over 50. I'm certain most saw their demise on a race track. After all thats what this car was really for.

link: http://rsamerica.net/In_Memoriam.htm
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
part of the attraction to a 964 or RSA was that they were also affordable.

At this asking price, there are better 911s for the money...
Yeah, but they also drive so sweet, a little older and they get goofy rear suspension and no ABS, a little newer and they got heavy with not much more power. They look and drive like a 911.

I cant get over the 996 ugly...
Cayman handling not for me...
Don't fit in Corvette..

I'm still looking for a better car for the money. Just love how it drives, too bad I wont have time to track till Winterfest earliest.

No idea what mine will sell for when the (better??) RS arrives but its still much less than the nutty 997RS prices, also no warranty.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I wounder how many were totaled on the track/street. Not to mention how many were stolen? My guess overall is well over 50. I'm certain most saw their demise on a race track. After all thats what this car was really for.

link: http://rsamerica.net/In_Memoriam.htm
Ouch, sad thread that.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 PM
9XI
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine has ABS.

Better Porsche for the money? It's impossible to argue with that, but I don't set they market. When I bought mine in 2000, there wasn't any price differential to a standard 964; maybe a little? I did pay extra to get a clean '94 in black. I wanted back seats, and the day I found it (out in Houston), it was off to PPI. It was on a truck to CA by the end of the week! It's now worth more than twice what I paid for it, and I can't say that for my house I bought the same year.

I got even luckier on the microbus. Crazy market at 8x what I paid 8 years ago. That one I DO want to sell. Any takers?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll get slammed for this but a 73 rs touring added a sport suspension, a third of a liter engine capacity, wider wheels, rear flairs, front and rear spoilers, a paired down interior and stickers over a 73s. The 73RS sport/lightweight was the stripper, with thinner body panels glass etc...and was not available for import in the us originally. Today a 73S is worth about $230K, a RS touring near $800K and the RS sport north of $1M...

So a RSA adds a sport suspension, paired down interior, rear spoiler, wider wheels, strips the power steering and of course stickers over a standard C2. The Euro RS again is the stripper, with thinner glass, aluminum hood, better suspension and engine tune (clubsport adds a cage and track equipment) Given the limits on engine options and EPA mandates it seems that the rsa was about as much as could be done in the states.
Right now a good C2 is going for $50K, RSAs near $100K and Euro RSs in the $250s...

I think the market will correct it always does, but the relative values will stay.

Last of the aircooled 901 IMHO....
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an original owner of a 1993 RS America.

Basically I originally bought the car because I was LESS expensive then a C2, and it was a back to basics sports car with out over 100 options (RSA could only choose color, seatbelt color, LSD, Air, Radio, Sunroof). I liked that I would have more room in the car for a helmet - without the sunroof. Overall - I just liked it better - it was 10K less - seemed too good to be true.

The car is amazing. The BIGGEST things that set it apart from a C2 in my mind are - engine noise (does not have the C2s sound insulation between you and the engine), lack of power steering. The feel of the steering is just awesome. There are a ton of other little things……..

So it is all about Supply and Demand. There were only 701 built - less exist now - especially nice ones. There are always the roomers about the cars crinkled finish under the hood, rolled wheel arches, etc (especially in the first of three build groups - which mine is). That ads interest in the car.

Is it worth 3-4 times as much? No way. Are there more people then 700 that want one - you bet. So the price reflects that.

I agree with earlier threads that the bubble will burst, and the outrageous prices that we have seen will fall again.

I am glad I still have one - and have no plans to sell. I LOVE the car - and that would be true even if it was worth 3X less than a C2!

FLAGG
Old 10-02-2014, 10:18 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default "The first ever 911 Cup series, this is where it all began!"

Originally Posted by J richard
...Right now a good C2 is going for $50K, RSAs near $100K and Euro RSs in the $250s...
...Last of the aircooled 901 IMHO....
Last aircooled, but first 911 Cup!

Found this gem over at JZM (no affil).
I like their text, "The first ever 911 Cup series, this is where it all began!"

Porsche 964 Carrera Cup £199,900 ($322,000+)
http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...p-for-sale-604
This is a unique opportunity to acquire one of the original 911 cup cars that ran in the first German championship.

The first ever 911 Cup series, this is where it all began!

These Porsches have become incredibly collectable and rarely do they surface for sale, especially cars that have just received a full (Money no object) restoration to the highest possible standard.

Fully Restored 964 Carrera Cup Car • 1990 (Series L) and the 33rd car of the first 50 produced. • Manufactured In January 1990 & originally owned and raced by Rolf Rosenkranz of Germany • Complete with DMSB Wagenpass & currently road registered in the UK, hence the passenger seat • Factory supplied In Grand Prix white and sporting the 1991 Belgium GP livery as raced at Spa Francorchamps. • Correct 17” cup alloys (9.5 rear) & (8.0 fronts) running Michelin pilot sports • Original welded Matter full cage supplied with paperwork & DMSB stamp • All usual cup car features, correct as it left the factory.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 PM
roger zimmerman
Advanced

Default Another RSA for sale

http://vintagereservegarage.com/carDetail/3546
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Hilarious.

There is no way I would ever swap my 997 gt3 for one of these. Which is precisely why I am going to build one for much cheaper.

Go try and build a gt3 starting with a reg 997 S.

Oh wait. You can't.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sad that it's never been used...

1993 911 RS America - 2,483 miles
$195,000

A great find with only 2,483 original miles. This is believed to be the second lowest mile RSA in existence, the first is locked away with the original owner. (does this mean the owner is buried in it??) This RS has never been damaged, tracked or modified. It has been kept in a climate-controlled facility for much of its life. Full known history. Three options, sunroof, limited slip differential and radio. This RS #60 is an early 1992 build with rolled fender lips. If you are looking for the best RS available this is the car.

(no affiliation) http://www.porsport.com/1993_rs_america_red
Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

yikes! a whole lotta monies for an rs....
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by espanolie
yikes! a whole lotta monies for an rs....
Not an RS. Even less so because it has 3 options. That's the whole point.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Sad that it's never been used...

1993 911 RS America - 2,483 miles
$195,000

A great find with only 2,483 original miles. This is believed to be the second lowest mile RSA in existence, the first is locked away with the original owner. (does this mean the owner is buried in it??) This RS has never been damaged, tracked or modified. It has been kept in a climate-controlled facility for much of its life. Full known history. Three options, sunroof, limited slip differential and radio. This RS #60 is an early 1992 build with rolled fender lips. If you are looking for the best RS available this is the car.

(no affiliation) http://www.porsport.com/1993_rs_america_red
Nice but I know of one that has less than half these miles and only the LSD option. Sad but they are out there still. He has no intention of selling so please don't contact me.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently sold my low miles RSA, and I do miss it already. Something about the raw feel of no power steering, M030 suspension, decreased sound dampening that gives the car an overall feel much different than a standard C2. Not that you can't get a C2 to be a much better car than a standard RSA, but it's the idea that Porsche made this edition for "America" is unique. There's no "RS China" (yet) or for any other market. Does it justify the price? No way. I believe in true value over nostalgia. Like the others have mentioned, there are a lot of other P cars you can get for half the price one of these is going for (eg, 997 GT3). However, I do have a thing for the 964, so I couldn't resist picking up a '94 C4 widebody. Talk about another overpriced vehicle, but not at the level of the RSA currently. In contrast to the garage queen mentality, my philosophy is to drive and enjoy these cars as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Another Ambitiously Priced RS America