Sponsored by:

A BIG leak!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default A BIG leak!

The morning after a good thrash around N Wales I found a very large puddle of oil under the car. After the panic subsided I had a look around. The crankcase looked as it normally does i.e wet! so it was impossible to say what was leaking. Previously I was sure the camshaft end seals were the major leak but the plan was to do them with the next valve adjustment. This leak was major and needed immediate attention.
Underneath was cleaned and I went for a slow drive through town. Parked up and nothing! No sign of any leaks. Next morning however the culprit was revealed. The drain tube was leaking oil in a big way. My indi changed out 3 very sad looking drain tubes for the collapsible ones (not an easy job) and a week later the motor is still as dry as a bone. It seems the two rear drain tubes have been the source of my wet crankcase all along. Result!
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good result but I'm surprised you got away without them talking you into a rebuild
Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those seals get old.. just replace the rest with collapsible kind, they last as long..
If the garage brings up the "re-build" then you know that's not a honest shop.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

What a scare! Sounds like you've got a great mechanic looking after the car.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Fitting the collapsible tubes is a old tough job. On the nearside the exhaust needs to be dropped simply to get access, but as you try to seat the o ring at one side its getting pulled out the other side! The divers side required taking the lower valve cover off as the OPC had previously used loktite on the o rings and this needed to be cleaned off.
As for rebuild...I'm not out of the woods as I thought. The motor has a small cylinder base leak. Only one way to fix that little devil.

Quick Reply: A BIG leak!