Sponsored by:

Are kids interested in these old cars? Some still have the passion

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Are kids interested in these old cars? Some still have the passion

We had Porsche posters on our walls growing up, but do kids still do that today?

I keep reading that many kids aren't even interested in getting their driver's license. Video games and social media are more important, and working part time to afford a car is seen as a misdirected use of time. "work for a car???"

I remember a Jay Leno interview where says he still remembers when a man at a gas station allowed him to sit in the driver's seat of a Jag. It all started there...

That said, it's nice to hear the passion in this kid's video. I love his use of "we" and "us" as he talked about his relationship with the car (and most importantly his dad).
I stumbled upon it, and instead of it being buried in the "964 Random Video" thread, I thought nice to share comments about your kids or neighbor kids reactions to these old cars.

PORSCHE 964 C2...speaks for it's self!

I'm going to subscribe to this kids channel (hopefully you will too) in hopes that he keeps making more 964 videos. Great stuff.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Too cute. The dad better start hiding the keys from this kid!

"I've been waiting for six months to see this car!"

REUNITED WITH THE PORSCHE!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 09-23-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Doesn't surprise me.

My son actually learned to drive standard on my 964.

This is a picture taken by one of his friend while they were out on a drive.

Notice the thing hanging in the rear window on the right hand side. That is the "N" he had to display as he was still a novice driver.

I'm sure that got a few looks from other motorists.

When his friends are over at the house they still go into the garage to look at the car.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

I didn't think kids were interested in them...but then everytime I drop my 8 yr old off at school, all the boys stop point stare and remark about it...so guess what...no different than i was in 1978...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Sweden964Cup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes we are! this photo is me right now at 21 years old driving my father 1991 964 Carrera Cup Car about 3 weeks ago, i prefer too look to older classics then those Gallardos and 997 turbos..
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweden964Cup
Yes we are! this photo is me right now at 21 years old driving my father 1991 964 Carrera Cup Car about 3 weeks ago, i prefer too look to older classics then those Gallardos and 997 turbos..
That is a great color blue. Nice shot!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This is how I fell in love with cars. My dad has never had a Porsche but growing up he had an e30 BMW and a hot rod and I'd always hang out in the garage with him. Also, he built r/c cars, so I started building them too. This was back when you actually had to build stuff, no ready-to-run cars.

We went to the Lone Star Le Mans at Circuit of the Americas this weekend and when chatting with folks at the Porscheplatz and telling them how my dad and I met up at COTA to watch the races, some asked me "what kind of Porsche did your dad bring?" At that point I'd explain how my dad is a hot rodder, and I'm the Porsche guy, lol.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Oracle
Pro

When I bought my 964 my son was 1 yo, I had the dream to pass it on to him one day...

Fast forward a few years...

My son wanted me to keep the 964 so he can inherit the car when he's older.. but I realized that car was not his dream but mine.. He "cared" about Porsche because I cared.

When I sold it he was not a bit sad, he was like "Ok".

I wish my son had the passion for cars like my Dad and I, but he's not.. and I can't/won't force it.
He'll find his own dreams and I will help/support him chase and get those dreams become real.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I have two sons approaching 30 , neither have the passion . Neither would make the
Effort to buy a special car , they just take the 0% interest option on some econobox
With all the connectivity for their digitised lives . Like the previous poster i would never
Force my preferences and would not keep a car in the hope of passing it on .
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 PM
bmohr
Racer

I think I might have shed a little tear there for a spot good video, nice C2.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

One my my son friends (10 years old) eyes went super wide when he saw my car. I drive my kids to school in my 91 C2 Tip. This kid is a total Gearhead. TopGear is his favorite show and I had a chance to take him for a ride recently. He just wanted to sit in the driver's seat for 5 minutes when the ride was over. I know I infected him with the Porsche 911 bug. It was so obvious. I even had to explain to him what a Gearhead is and told him he was one of us. Welcome to the club!

Not sure if my kids will be super into cars. I hope they are because I would have killed for my Dad to have the garage I recently finished setting up for myself. I think when they hit their teenage years and get closer to 16 things may change.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Love the enthusiasm.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:15 PM
stephle
AutoX

With no children but a couple of nieces & nephew who've grown up in a world where new is cherished more than classic, I've often wondered which one of them - if any - will emerge as the one who truly understands why my car is a special car, not just 'auntie's old car' and secure it for themselves once I pop my clogs. See a few glints of interest but no true understanding yet.

True story ...last week was out at the store. A couple of parking spots down, a woman and her little girl, about 4 years old were just walking up to their SUV. The little girl saw my car, pointed at it and yelled out at the top of her lungs to me "I LIKE it!!!" She kept staring, as I pulled away I could see her pointing at it out the window.

The spontaneous display of passion she had for my little German beast makes me smile. If I could have done so without looking like a total crazy person, I probably would have willed it to her right on the spot
Old 09-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Chiefyb
Instructor

Stephie,
I'm in the same boat. I'm running a 996 and a 964 have two kids inherited from my passed sister in law. Not even a glimmer of interest in either from either! Looks like my money's going to the dogs home.......!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Kids love em up here - just today commuting in my 964, 3 separate incidents of kids learning out of other cars, shouting 'cool car' and so on, the whole bit..
A while back though, in my 996T, one kid - 'whoa look at that', other kid 'hmf, its only a Porsche'.
I guess there are Porsches and Porsches..

Quick Reply: Are kids interested in these old cars? Some still have the passion