91.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
financd964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and Viking.... Not all slammed 964's are from US. Do I sense some geographical racism?

Great fun indeed ol chap.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:06 AM
Viking911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by financd964
Oh and Viking.... Not all slammed 964's are from US. Do I sense some geographical racism?

Great fun indeed ol chap.

Absolutely matey, they banter works better when I associate US and slammed
Old 10-04-2014, 03:31 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Financd and Lateforlunch, the pair of you seem very touchy about this subject, if anyone's got girlie issues, right now it's the two of you!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 AM
964 RON
8th Gear

Fantastic, loads of people feel to be under attack

I like both so i'll keep doing both.

A 964 is a car you buy, race, show, lower or anything else with your hart.

Do what you like, or all 964's would look the same.

Maybe we should attacck the guys that buy a 964 with their head as an investment, and don't drive them at all
Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by 964 RON

A 964 is a car you buy, race, show, lower or anything else with your hart.

Do what you like, or all 964's would look the same.

Maybe we should attacck the guys that buy a 964 with their head as an investment, and don't drive them at all
I agree with you there 964 RON. I voted Go Cars, but I don't track my my car, so not in the true sense. I do 'drive' it though, well I did before the engine decided to shed bits of metal anyway (now off the road for a bit).

I do think it is a real shame when some of these otherwise gorgeous cars are slammed ridiculously low with the addition of (in my opinion) horrible blingy wheels. However, I can really appreciate the love and effort that is put into these cars, just not my thing.

I also have to say there are a lot of 964s showing up with gold BBS wheels these days, which look fantastic, but a very popular choice so different can be a good thing too.

Anyway Frank was only having a bit of fun starting this thread, nothing wrong with that - peace and out
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
I've never ever heard of or personally seen a stretched tire spontaneously explode. Safe is questionable, but has there ever been an issue doing it? Nah. People have been stretching tires for decades. Probably not to the extent I am, but nevertheless, no tire's "intended design" was to be stretched.
I am having a hard time believing I am reading this. I see it all the time. There is a well known shop around here in north NJ area that specializes in all these fads and we see these cars on the sides of the road with blown tires quite often. There is some serious money spent and these guys are driving down the road weaving around pot holes and man hole covers to a point where they can be dangerous. Weaving out of their lane to avoid them. I have seen first hand what happens when you screw up. I have a buddy who owns a body shop sees it all the time. Won't touch the work inevitably it is a dispute with the insurance company and usually the owner is SOL

Driving with a tire that is stretched 1.5" beyond its contact surface with any negative camber whatsoever is unsafe and dangerous to not only you but people around you. The sidewall is not designed to withstand what you are making it do. I know I am an old fart but what your doing could result in a crash and if a fatality occurred you would be held liable. The word negligence comes to mind.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 AM
financd964
Instructor

STUARTQ.... Do you follow frank into the bathroom too?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:37 AM
too old for this
Intermediate

Funny thing is....I sort of moved out of the VW *arena*,because it all became a bit scene.I had a Cal Look Oval,cool car,built in the states originally,rebuilt over here as the mechanicals were questionable.Every one had an opinion,no problem with that...as long as the banter was tongue in cheek and everyone got along.
Unfortunately the internet warriors took the edge off...I got tired of it and moved on.Reading this thread has been disappointing.
Early days, I have followed you and financ'd's builds with great interest, both very cool cars and very hands on,you know what you like and have the abilities to carry it out yourselves...driving and spannering with like minded souls.Sharing a beer and then sharing some road time ...all good.Same to a degree with Farkhas,although for me...the stretched thing is a step too far,why push the boundaries in width if the end result is a compromise? Nevertheless hands on got the job done,even if I don't get it.
I also know Frank...if you met him you would get along...no question,he is mad passionate and whilst he doesn't have you guys mechanical ability,he sinks a whole bunch of money into getting to a similar place to you and(at the risk of being controversial)not a million miles away from where you are with your cars.He posts up the stuff he does,not to say look at me,but because he is passionate about it and let's face it,who doesn't like a "Nice job" comment from their peers?
He is also the guy who if anyone suggests a road trip/meet/track day, he is straight in,as long as there is a drive involved.
Maybe there is more than an ocean between us. I think this was meant as a bit of fun,not a personal assault on anyone but the most extreme end of the spectrum.The boys where the relation between the lip of the rim and the rear arch is all encompassing,fine on a Golf (rabbit)with a 1.4! But on a Porsche 911 which has the pedigree to give so much pleasure to the driver?I like a low car...it looks right,but it HAS to drive right or the whole ethos of a driver's car is lost.Spend time getting the balance right and the visual(and visceral)pleasure is immense.Go to the extreme and it becomes a parody...dancing around the pot holes and having a bunch of friends to see you into the kerb!
I shall continue to read and learn from guys on here and whilst I may not get the extreme end,it still is a good read.So Early days and co treat it as it was intended..a bit of fun...and continue to post up where you are with stuff.
End of the day...we are all modders,RS look a likers/trackers/backdaters,it is a common bond.What we are not is "The only way is as it left the factory and everything else is WRONG"...so we are all outcasts to a degree.
Do what you like to your cars...as long as it is enhancing the experience and getting in it and going for a drive with like minded friends...and let that ride be fun as Porsche intended...just be prepared that not everyone will get it, from the *buffers*who have a fit if you even DARE to remove the D90s,to the track fiends where a tad too much camber is UNBEARABLE.As long as this iconic drivers car stays exactly that,then all else is good.
(but I still don't get the stretch thing )
Old 10-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only saving grace is the 993 guys haven't stumbled acros this thread. They are too busy waxing their cars and locating nos blinker fluid for the next concourse to tell us we are all wrong for,modifying our cars and killing the value/ collectibility
Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 AM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FFS boys

Love coming on Rennlist, looking at what Rob has done, and financd, and Tom, and Farcas etc.

Do I like everything everyone's done to their cars, no, not necessarily, but do I respect the amount of work, care and attention that goes into ALL of them, absolutely

Now I'm just a bald, middle aged Brit, who wants to enjoy my '64 (well I will once it's done!). Will everyone like what I'm doing with the Pit, probably not from either side of the fence, but that's fine

This sort of thread is what made me drop off the 911UK site for a while, and has ruined a number of other forums I have frequented over the years, please don't let that happen here

Just my 2 pence/cents worth
Old 10-04-2014, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Passion can be a very positive thing. I have spent years on this forum passionate about sharing what is safe and sound practices. I am passionate about driving my 964's on the track at speed using common sense and a lot of sage information others have to share.... her on rennlist.

If my passion is to drive without any regard for mine or others safety and start telling everyone it is OK based on my experience to disregard safe practices now my passion turns to irresponsibility.

Passionate is a dangerous word and is not necessarily used properly. If you are passionate by itself without common sense it can be an ugly thing as well. So when you show others how defying the warnings of a manufacturer and in some states breaking the law what are you adding to the value of this community?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:21 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Originally Posted by baldy
FFS boys

Love coming on Rennlist, looking at what Rob has done, and financd, and Tom, and Farcas etc.

Do I like everything everyone's done to their cars, no, not necessarily, but do I respect the amount of work, care and attention that goes into ALL of them, absolutely

Now I'm just a bald, middle aged Brit, who wants to enjoy my '64 (well I will once it's done!). Will everyone like what I'm doing with the Pit, probably not from either side of the fence, but that's fine

This sort of thread is what made me drop off the 911UK site for a while, and has ruined a number of other forums I have frequented over the years, please don't let that happen here

Just my 2 pence/cents worth

Baldy, I'm with you nearly all the way (I still have a full head of hair and only one or two grey's despite being 47). This is one of the strongest forums on the internet. Lets all drink a great big mug of lets not bother with this thread and time travel to the days where we all got along.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:28 AM
too old for this
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baldy
FFS boys

Now I'm just a bald, middle aged Brit, who wants to enjoy my '64

I thought I was the bald middle aged brit.....there is two of us.....whooda thought it!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm of zero value to this community. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

This thread is making me want to puke. Unless someone is going to tell singer to stop cutting up perfectly good 964s, and Paul stuart too, then stop bitching at the slammed guys. You can ways un-slam a 964...you can't un-cut one.

So to each his own . And please let the thread die.

I like show cars. I like slammed. I like original. I like singer. I like track cars beat to ****. And I like mine. Done. End. Please stop killing rennlist for the rest of us. This is the best car community in the world. So shake and be done.

Quick Reply: 964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars