Front oil cooler lines question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Front oil cooler lines question

Hi,

I'm about to fix my oil cooler lines. They are leaking at the soft hose joints in the front fender well. I've looked at buying new ones, but they are too expensive. I'm undecided as what to do. Here are my options, maybe someone can help me make the choice.

1- Replace each line with teflon coated steel braided hose outfitted with -AN fittings. Use M22/-16AN or -12AN adapters on oil cooler and thermostat.

2- Cut the copper lines before the soft line and crimp new rubber hoses outfitted with M30 female fittings on oil cooler end.

3- Cut and weld (copper/aluminum) -16AN male fitting then fit short steel braided teflon coated lines to M22/-16AN adapters on oil cooler.

4- Gently disassemble the lines and crimp new high temperature rubber hoses. Finish off with 16AN to 16AN/M22 union on the cooler.

5- Gently disassemble the lines. Replace M30 ends, crimp collars and reinforced hose from Elephant Racing (http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhan...14hoseends.htm)

If there are any better solutions please let me know.

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited by 964Andrew; 07-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested too on good options.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to this fella: Len at Autosportengineering dot com

No personal experience here, just gathering thoughts. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...oil-lines.html
Old 06-18-2015, 10:33 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My Seattle area indy replaced mine from end to end a few months ago. They were leaking and had some soft spots. He's done a lot of these and now has them made by a local place that specializes in making hydraulic lines for heavy equipment and industrial applications. I can look into the cost and details if you're interested. My 964 hasn't dripped a drop of oil since (previously had a reseal performed).

I don't recall if the reason for doing this had to do with issues related to OEM availability, cost or quality, or some combination. It was part of a big laundry list of stuff done to the car over a 5 month stretch.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer, but sending anything outside Canada will be cost prohibitive. I am frequent to a local hydraulic shop and one of my proposed solutions was to pressure fit a hose with M30 ends on it. The problem I have with that solution is that the temperature rating of the available non braided rubber hoses is barely above Porsche OEM specification. I would much rater use teflon lined ss braided hoses, but they can not be fitted using the available pressure connectors.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SausageCat
I would much rater use teflon lined ss braided hoses, but they can not be fitted using the available pressure connectors.
Adaptors are readily available- look at the Pegasus Racing site. Check this thread for more details.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to do mine sooner than later. In for possible alternatives
Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Adaptors are readily available- look at the Pegasus Racing site. Check this thread for more details.
I've read through the mentioned article before. It was helpful but didn't focus on the part of the lines I am working on.

I've just picked up several randomly flanged copper 3/4 NPT female ends at Home Depot to weld on the copper pipe. Then 3/4 NPT to 16AN union, ss braided 500F rated hose with both 16AN female ends and finally 16AN and M22 to 16AN union on the oil cooler.

This solution is quite complicated. I don't know if its the right one.

BTW: Does anyone know if the Aramid Braided PTFE Racing Hoses at Pegasus Racing are the same stuff as OEM Porsche?

On a side note: Should I be really concerned about temperatures over 200F?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 06-19-2015, 07:16 AM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced all my oil lines and have tried a few types before I worked it out.
you have to be careful to not get too much steel in a hose or you wont be able to make the bends you need inside the wheel arch.
For my front oil lines I used a blue cloth braided, steel reinforced hose from Airoquip, and reused the fittings.
When i tried the SS/teflon on the filter-thermostat line is was way too stiff as was the black hose which has quite a bit of steel in it. I finally used the RSR line from ERP and their fittings. The RSR line is reenforced and very flexible.
i was able to use the SS/teflon hose for the short oil line to the filter.

Try the Google and look for a Tipco express hose center to help you, the one near me just started stocking metric fittings, it's worth a shot.

If I had a do-over and had done all of them at the same time I would have just used the RSR line from EPR for everything and had Tipco do the crimping
Attached Images     
Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are best trying to locate a Cohline agent in Canada, they can make up the lines with the original Cohline crimps. I provide the hose to the uk agent, fittings and crip for the 2 main lines were cheap.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I went with "1". Purchased all fittings at local aircraft supply shop. Made the hoses, installed using metric to AN fittings. No leaks and all working well for the last 3 years. Did the front cooler lines and rear filter lines as well. Used OEM parts for short rubber hose section. Posted pictures of this some time ago.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Wow,

I questioned your logic because I just replaced mine with factory parts new last fall. I was going to have mine re manufactured but the costs were around $175 a line and for $200 a line new I decided to use factory parts.

I just visited Sunset and prices have jumped to $404 each. What is going on some parts are skyrocketing in price while the euro declines and others are dropping. Makes no sense.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! This is very informative.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Oil Lines

Went back through pictures and found these of the lines I made to replaced the older seeping lines. Hope this helps give you an idea of what can be done. Think my total cost was around $400 USD -
Attached Images       
Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great timing on this thread. Will be doing a rebuild soon and will be replacing/repairing some of my oil hoses at the same time.

Quick Reply: Front oil cooler lines question