Sponsored by:

C2 or C4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:03 PM
JonnyIndy
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C2 or C4?

I've finally decided to move forward and add a 964 to the garage (which currently houses a '15 SQ5 daily driver) as a weekend fun car. I've spent countless hours scouring for info, and after immersing myself in it for a while I'm happy to say the 964 is the one. The tough choice is whether to search for a C2 or a C4, or if it doesn't matter all that much, just find a good, well cared for example of either....

I'm kind of hesitant to shop for a private party sale prior to deciding because I really don't want to waste anyone's time, but I really think the real world experience of driving them back to back is what I need. Unfortunately, that's a tough thing to come by, and that's why I'm posing the question here. What I've learned to this point is that the C2 is the purists car, as it's meant to be, and that the C4 is an all around great car, but mostly stands out in inclement weather. I'm leaning towards the C2, as this will be purely for fun, but I may not drive hard enough to notice the difference between the 2.

So, I'm sure it's been asked time and again, so excuse me for beating the proverbial....
But I'm looking for real world experience from people who've owned/driven both, and can say equivocally one or the other, or either. What I'm looking for is a reasonably modded car, in the $50k range, to have fun with. Not going to the track, just going to drive the awesome Bay Area roads, go to Alice's, cars and coffee, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help. In my short time cruising this forum, I have found an awesome amount of info, and some great comraderie.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Ebola
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a huge difference between driving a C2 or C4. I personally prefer a C2 because I like a raw car that will rip my face off, but I actually own a C4. My dad has a 993 C2 and I have a 964 C4. The C2 is a lot more fun to race, but the C4 is a lot easier to manage. I contemplated taking the C4 out in the snow this past winter but decided against it but Im sure it wouldve been a real treat that the C2 just couldnt deliver.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

The C4 is the most fun car I have ever had driving in the snow.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

Believe me, the difference between a C2 and C4 is huge. ESPECIALLY in the 964 series. RWD is much better in these cars.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 AM
Youyou
Instructor

I've had 993's , 997's and 964's .
In everyday driving i can barely tell the difference between both.
My vote goes for the C4. I find it to be a better handling car.
The traction is amazing.
Not knocking the C2 but for me C4 all the way!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't driven a C2 but the C4 can get reasonably tail happy if you want it to.

The C4 is slightly more complicated and can cost you more money in repairs should something go wrong with the AWD system.

That being said, with how hard a nice example of any of these cars is to come by these days, I would buy based off of that. If you find a clean well maintained C4, I'd say jump on it!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyIndy

I'm leaning towards the C2, as this will be purely for fun, but I may not drive hard enough to notice the difference between the 2.
You will notice the difference at any speed because you will feel the front wheels driving on a 4 but only steering on a 2. Hence you lose some steering feedback on the 4 because there is more than one thing going on.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both a '90 C4 Targa and a '94 C2 Coupe. In addition my garage has a 356SC, 912, 5 longhoods, 3.2, and a .1 GT3. My first observation is that every one of these cars puts a huge grin on my face every time I drive them. Each has its own character, even each of the longhoods is unique in the way they drive. This is not to say that each is not familiar to one another in fit and feel when you get in, but that each has its own feel. Those that have multiple similar cars can most likely relate.
To the specifics of your inquiry, the feel of the C4 and C2 are somewhat unique, some comes from the 2WD vs 4WD, some from the added weight of the C4, and some comes from the individual setup of the cars. Both of my cars are on PSS10's and corner balanced, and very well maintained. I love both and would be happy with either if I could only own one of them. Find the best example, based on condition, maintenance history, and setup within you budget, and save some of that budget to make just the way you want it. As an added thought to a question not asked, do not ignore a Targa in your search. While the coupe is most sought after (and I was looking for a coupe when I found my Targa) the Targa has lower production numbers and with the resurgence of the 991 Targa getting renewed interest. And unless you must have a Cab, they are to be avoided.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
I have both a '90 C4 Targa and a '94 C2 Coupe. In addition my garage has a 356SC, 912, 5 longhoods, 3.2, and a .1 GT3. My first observation is that every one of these cars puts a huge grin on my face every time I drive them. Each has its own character, even each of the longhoods is unique in the way they drive. This is not to say that each is not familiar to one another in fit and feel when you get in, but that each has its own feel. Those that have multiple similar cars can most likely relate.
To the specifics of your inquiry, the feel of the C4 and C2 are somewhat unique, some comes from the 2WD vs 4WD, some from the added weight of the C4, and some comes from the individual setup of the cars. Both of my cars are on PSS10's and corner balanced, and very well maintained. I love both and would be happy with either if I could only own one of them. Find the best example, based on condition, maintenance history, and setup within you budget, and save some of that budget to make just the way you want it. As an added thought to a question not asked, do not ignore a Targa in your search. While the coupe is most sought after (and I was looking for a coupe when I found my Targa) the Targa has lower production numbers and with the resurgence of the 991 Targa getting renewed interest. And unless you must have a Cab, they are to be avoided.
Why are cabs to be avoided unless a must have?
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Why are cabs to be avoided unless a must have?
First, that is a personal opinion and as such is subject to as much ridicule as you might like to apply.

As to the source of my opinion, it is based on the future repair/replacement costs to any top mechanism, the lose of chassis strength with any open top car, increased wind noise, and the potential leaks and damage which can result from said water. And until the 996 Porsche could not come up with an attractive profile when the top was down. The exception being cars which had the top completely removed.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
JonnyIndy
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of great feedback here, thank you all.

Originally Posted by bobaines
Find the best example, based on condition, maintenance history, and setup within you budget, and save some of that budget to make just the way you want it.
This is great advice, thank you . I need to get out and drive a few examples of each, but I think I will ultimately follow your advice Bob.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buy the best car

I have a 92 C4 and a 93 RSA.

They are both great, just different.
C2s are faster and more direct, but the C4 is big fun in snow.
Condition, condition, condition.

Alan
Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Are c2's generally more expensive?? That's what I will be on the hunt for but most of the cars I see for sale are c4's.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, C2's are usually more expensive, with Coupes at the top. I think that as C2's are in more demand they sell much quicker, which is why it looks like there are loads of C4's for sale.

I've had a C4 and a C2 Coupe and they're both good cars. Whilst I do prefer my C2 as it feels lighter and more alive than the C4, I would certainly not discount a good C4.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, I am familiar with the roads you will be driving and I would personally recommend the C2. It doesn't sound like you will be driving in the snow with the car you purchase. Weight, as with all cars, is what affects handling the most. I have driven a C4 while instructing a student on the track and as communicated before you feel the weight and drivetrain of the awd while steering and cornering. It isn't a bad experience, just not quite as crisp as the C2 IMO. You can find a good C2, especially with your budget, if you are patient. I would personally try to find a 1992 or later with the updated motor or find one that has had the top-end rebuilt by a reputable shop. That being said, most of these cars require a top-end rebuild after 75K miles. Make sure you leak-down the motor prior to any purchase because this is a $10K plus proposition.

Quick Reply: C2 or C4?