Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'90 964-C4-Cab...Top Slams Closed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 PM
fleetline51
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 964-C4-Cab...Top Slams Closed!

With a bunch of help here and some nosing around, I think I have finally found the reason that my top would not operate...seems that there is an intermittent open somewhere in the control located under the dash-driver's side just above the left knee. After jiggling the wiring harness while depressing the toggle switch that operates the open/close sequence, I was able to get it to work repeatedly. I'll remove it soon to get a better look at what's happening with that.

The main thing that I am concerned about is the force with which the top slams down in the final closing sequence...I mean I'm afraid that -with such slamming force, the windshield may crack!

Is this normal... Are there any ways to avoid this ?

I'm going to sell my Cab very soon and would not wan't this issue to deter a prospective buyer!

Any help with this issue would certainly be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Mike K
Instructor

Tony,
could be a combination of an adjustment and/or limit switch. I used to put my hand up to catch the top and then let it close and lock. I don't know about cracking a windshield but I know you can crack the brass gears inside the lockdown motors and they're pricey unless someone is manufacturing the gears only. Hth's
Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetline51
With a bunch of help here and some nosing around, I think I have finally found the reason that my top would not operate...seems that there is an intermittent open somewhere in the control located under the dash-driver's side just above the left knee. After jiggling the wiring harness while depressing the toggle switch that operates the open/close sequence, I was able to get it to work repeatedly. I'll remove it soon to get a better look at what's happening with that.

The main thing that I am concerned about is the force with which the top slams down in the final closing sequence...I mean I'm afraid that -with such slamming force, the windshield may crack!

Is this normal... Are there any ways to avoid this ?

I'm going to sell my Cab very soon and would not wan't this issue to deter a prospective buyer!

Any help with this issue would certainly be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Tony
Check the "Tension Ropes" (steel cables) that run from front to rear on each side. They connect to springs at the front as a form of dampener. See PET Page 441 Item 23.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM
fleetline51
Track Day

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Check the "Tension Ropes" (steel cables) that run from front to rear on each side. They connect to springs at the front as a form of dampener. See PET Page 441 Item 23.
Thanks for the rapid comeback Harry Apps!

It would be helpful to me if I knew what " PET Page 441 Item 23." meant!

Thanks again for the "Heads-Up" on this issue!

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Thanks for the rapid comeback Harry Apps!

It would be helpful to me if I knew what " PET Page 441 Item 23." meant!

Thanks again for the "Heads-Up" on this issue!

Best Regards,

Tony
Hi Tony

PET is the Parts Catalogue (or Catalog!). Download it for free at either:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...artscatalogue/

or

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

depending on your location (Europe or USA). PET page 441 refers to .pdf page number.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:11 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine slams too. So I just accompany the movement of the top with my right hand for the landing to be smooth.
I you let it slam, chances are that at some point, cracks will appears in the paint at the bottom of the windscreen, and then rust.
Metal doesn't like to be stressed. And car paint hates it.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you checked the gear box and cable tension from the motors. The gear box case with age will separate a little and allow the gears to slip. Additionally, if the cable has slop in it it will allow the top to fall once it gets past the crest. Couple of ideas.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:11 PM
fleetline51
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gus
Have you checked the gear box and cable tension from the motors. The gear box case with age will separate a little and allow the gears to slip. Additionally, if the cable has slop in it it will allow the top to fall once it gets past the crest. Couple of ideas.

Thanks Much, Gus! Haven't been here in a while but still have the same problem.

How would I access the area for the gearbox/cable tension? I am confident that I could find the problem and probably rectify it but...Don't know where to find it/them!

Thank You!

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Thanks Much, Gus! Haven't been here in a while but still have the same problem.

How would I access the area for the gearbox/cable tension? I am confident that I could find the problem and probably rectify it but...Don't know where to find it/them!

Thank You!

Best Regards,

Tony
The gearboxes (transmissions) are behind the L/R quarter trim panels. follow the crank-arms down. There are no drive cable tensioners in the system, so your first point to check should be the three gearbox mounting bolts - they can work loose. Once they are tight, you should then check the microswitches on the RH gearbox and adjust if necessary - the microswitches control the limit of hood movement when they are pressed by the crank.

Quick Reply: '90 964-C4-Cab...Top Slams Closed!