Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOJACK OR ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I live in Southern California so I suspect the LoJack coverage is good.
This one from above looks interesting:
- M360 MMT Global Asset Tracker

Originally Posted by vagluv
Lojack works by emitting a radio frequency that is picked up by law enforcement once it's activated. Tried and true system that is hard to fool. There are stories of lojacks in container ships being detected even after the ship has left the port. GPS based systems are good as well, as they will show you exactly where the car is, but these are easier to block. Think about how easy it is to lose signal on your gps or satellite radio. An underground parking garage or concrete obstruction will make it possible to hide your car from the satellites.

There are benefits to both systems, but if you are only choosing one, and live in an area where law enforcement can locate lojacks (they must have the equipment installed in their car/boat/helicopter), lojack is probably the way to go.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:13 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
Thanks. Do you have experience with any of these?
They are different in the way they operate from LoJack as stated before. LoJack is a recovery system, where the ones I listed are monitoring/detective systems.

LoJack is excellent if you are in their service area and if you know your car has been stolen. What if you are away and you don't immediately know your car is gone?

Monitoring systems I mentioned are ones that will inform you when your car is moved without your knowledge. From GEO fencing, NFC, Movement, Temperature and Sound to Active global tracking and reporting using GPS, Assisted GPS, GSM or combination of all. These systems will inform you in the moment your car has been stolen and where it is at any given time. From there you can call in to activate LoJack and have the law enforcement take control of the situation.

An old well configured iPhone with a minimal data plan and proper software stuffed under the seat is an excellent first step. Add a battery pack and it will report position for 2 weeks without charging.

I really like the M360 MMT too. Mainly because it's build for army applications and has 8-10 year battery. I consider this the top end of the tracking devices spectrum. There are several options in between. Preferably you want something that you don't have to charge every 2 weeks and it has a user friendly interface to deal with.

EDIT: LoJack has early warning as well.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:55 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Great info!!!!
Do you know the cost of that system?
Is it a subscription service and does it interface with apple products ?
I see that they have representation in the US and I can reach out to them after the holidays.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by SausageCat
They are different in the way they operate from LoJack as stated before. LoJack is a recovery system, where the ones I listed are monitoring/detective systems.

LoJack is excellent if you are in their service area and if you know your car has been stolen. What if you are away and you don't immediately know your car is gone?

Monitoring systems I mentioned are ones that will inform you when your car is moved without your knowledge. From GEO fencing, NFC, Movement, Temperature and Sound to Active global tracking and reporting using GPS, Assisted GPS, GSM or combination of all. These systems will inform you in the moment your car has been stolen and where it is at any given time. From there you can call in to activate LoJack and have the law enforcement take control of the situation.

An old well configured iPhone with a minimal data plan and proper software stuffed under the seat is an excellent first step. Add a battery pack and it will report position for 2 weeks without charging.

I really like the M360 MMT too. Mainly because it's build for army applications and has 8-10 year battery. I consider this the top end of the tracking devices spectrum. There are several options in between. Preferably you want something that you don't have to charge every 2 weeks and it has a user friendly interface to deal with.

EDIT: LoJack has early warning as well.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:14 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Check Glbalstar (www.globalstar.com) with retail partners pretty much everywhere. They sell the smaller NFC Group S360 (rebranded unit) as SmartOne that runs on their satellite network. With monthly fees starting around $30. Battery life 8-10 years as well.

S360/Smart One - http://www.globalstar.com/shop/index...products_id=79
Dealer Map - https://www.globalstar.com/en/dealerlocator/
Old 12-24-2015, 05:25 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Thank you....will look in to it.

Check Glbalstar (www.globalstar.com) with retail partners pretty much everywhere. They sell the smaller NFC Group S360 (rebranded unit) as SmartOne that runs on their satellite network. With monthly fees starting around $30. Battery life 8-10 years as well.

S360/Smart One - http://www.globalstar.com/shop/index...products_id=79
Dealer Map - https://www.globalstar.com/en/dealerlocator/
Old 12-24-2015, 07:15 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

We should have a LoJack group buy and see if we can't get a nice discount
Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I think they are $600-800 retail...

Originally Posted by kokolyia
We should have a LoJack group buy and see if we can't get a nice discount
Old 01-07-2016, 06:51 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I talked with the guys in the UK that have the m360. Seems like could be a good in addition to something else system. Learned that the Lojack and GPS signal can be cheaply jammed and that experience car thieves carry these with them. Apparently for $80 you can get a jammer that will jam the lojack,gsm or gps systems within 100 ft.
No sure what I should do for coverage now?

Other options:

- Old smartphone with battery pack, GPS software and $10/mo data plan
- Stereo system embedded GPS tracker
- Livewire GPS Vehicle Tracker - http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/pr...ellers&from=fn
- M360 MMT Global Asset Tracker - http://www.tracks360.com/tracking-pr...-battery-life/
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

More than one device would definitely help, especially that the GPS alone has limited reach inside buildings, behind walls or in the underground parking lots. Cellphones use assisted GPS tracking. You can always put in a hidden mechanical disconnect to prevent/delay the thief from driving your car away.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:49 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
I talked with the guys in the UK that have the m360. Seems like could be a good in addition to something else system. Learned that the Lojack and GPS signal can be cheaply jammed and that experience car thieves carry these with them. Apparently for $80 you can get a jammer that will jam the lojack,gsm or gps systems within 100 ft.
No sure what I should do for coverage now?
can you share more info about these jammers? a lojack system costs several hundred, and would be used on a precious and appreciating asset, and it can easily be defeated by something 1/10 of its cost? wtf?

Last edited by FLYT993; 01-09-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Try google: here is just one:

http://www.wired.com/2010/02/car-thi...clean-getaway/

Originally Posted by FLYT993
can you share more info about these jammers? a lojack system costs several hundred, and would be used on a precious and appreciating asset, and it can easily be defeated by something 1/10 of its cost? wtf?
Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

A pro will have all these tools. The tech behind them is simpler than the tech on the trackers. "Most" cars are stolen by morons and these trackers work fine for them. The pros rarely get caught.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

With today's tech you can jam pretty much everything: GSM, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE, GPS, WIFI and LoJack in a 10+ meter radius. Frequency switching, ground booster stations are said to help overcome the jammers.

I have worked on a bluetooth beacon proximity awareness recently. Since bluetooth uses frequency hopping and it avoids bad or blocked frequencies it is less prone to jammers. Problem is that this system would only work in geofence scenario. You could tell that someone has just driven away with your car, but the tracking is lost beyond 10m -100m range. Still you could alert the authorities that someone has just stole your car.

One of the popular choices for bluetooth proximity awarnes today
https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo
https://www.thetrackr.com/atlas

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer this:
Old 01-09-2016, 11:42 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Long time ago I heard of someone putting a straightened barbed fishing hooks on a thin board on the driver seat. The owner found the thief in the morning firmly attached to the seat, very kindly asking him to call EMS and police. Don't know if it's true.

Quick Reply: LOJACK OR ????